Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

5at gotta have a SprintBooster!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 06:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by knight_yyz
My statement was not meant to imply that the sprint booster directly affects the TCM.

The sprint booster does not affect the transmission directly. It does not send a signal to it. It modifies the signal sent to the ECU. I have a 6mt so I know it does not affect the transmission one IOTA. People claim they have better shifts with an auto or a CVT. Well good for them.
p.s. since the stock pedal sensor does directly interface with the TCM (via CAN) so does the Sprint Booster.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you know that? The sprint booster remaps the throttle. There is no evidence that it remaps anything to do with the TCM. There are 6 wires on the gas pedal of the 03-05. I can't comment on the newer models. I don't have the FSM"s for those years. How do you know the sprint booster is doing anything to all 6 outputs? I certainly don't. Do you have the inside scoop? Do you have the schematics?

The sprint booster claims to remap the throttle to eliminate or reduce throttle lag. Depending on the make and model. I have not seen any claims by sprint booster USA saying that they have remapped the TCM.

As to your previous post to the one above. I have absolutely no electronics expertise. I have no idea how my radio in my car works. But I have one in my car. I know it works. I have no idea how my ipod works, or how my bluetooth works. But they are in my car. I couldn't care less about the explanation as to how they work. Why do I need to know how the sprint booster works? I don't care!! I have helped about 20-25 people in the maxima and bmw and G35 and 350Z community get a discount on this device. No one has complained it didn't eliminate throttle lag.

That's all I care about.

Last edited by knight_yyz; 11-12-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by knight_yyz
How do you know that? The sprint booster remaps the throttle. There is no evidence that it remaps anything to do with the TCM. There are 6 wires on the gas pedal of the 03-05. I can't comment on the newer models. I don't have the FSM"s for those years. How do you know the sprint booster is doing anything to all 6 outputs? I certainly don't. Do you have the inside scoop? Do you have the schematics?

The sprint booster claims to remap the throttle to eliminate or reduce throttle lag. Depending on the make and model. I have not seen any claims by sprint booster USA saying that they have remapped the TCM.

As to your previous post to the one above. I have absolutely no electronics expertise. I have no idea how my radio in my car works. But I have one in my car. I know it works. I have no idea how my ipod works, or how my bluetooth works. But they are in my car. I couldn't care less about the explanation as to how they work. Why do I need to know how the spring booster works? I don't care!! I have helped about 20-25 people in the maxima and bmw and G35 and 350Z community get a discount on this device. No one has complained it didn't eliminate throttle lag.

That's all I care about.
First you can't eliminate throttle lag without bypassing the ECM by altering the output of the pedal positioner. In fact electronics at this point adds a lag of its own. You can reduce the lag of the human factor by allowing the user to not have to push the pedal 100%, but then this adds up to about .05 to .1 seconds depending on which source you go by. You can also alter the feel by changing the curve of the output of the pedal positioner but I have not seen any evidence that this takes place with the SB although I have seen some evidence it does occur with some others. That is you can change the amplification ratio so it has little effect at the bottom end and a much enhanced effect at the top end. On my 08 for example cruising at 55 mph yields a throttle position (not pedal position) of about 7-8 percent on the level. At cruise making it too sensitive could decrease economy. On the upper areas obviously you are not interested in economy so you can change the ratio.

The TCM on all models of Infiniti I have looked at from at least 05 and up use two accelerator positioners contained in one package. This appears to be partly used for a failsafe mode so if you have a failure the car will not for example be stuck at 100% throttle.

The TCM doesn't directly connect to the pedal positioner but does use its output via CAN.

That output now is directly affected by the actions of the SB since the SB sits between the pedal positioner and where the CAN signals are generated.

This information is all readily available in all the FSMs. If you read the white paper on the Mercedes you can see two possible differences that could explain why some think the lag goes away. One is if Infiniti like Mercedes changes the mapping contained within the ECM. Since you essentially appear to have changed your driving habits based on a signal with increased amplitude a different built in map could be selected in the ECM.

A good system would adapt the map based on rate of rise, that is the quicker the pedal is pushed, the greater the amplification. Also a dead band could be included in the entire range for benefit and not left at the top where it actually creates a secondary problem when you reduce pedal position.

So basically it comes down to reading the manuals Infiniti was so generous to supply and you will easily see why a good deal of the claims are suspect. Also the websites of SB are suspect due to claims such as improving acceleration and then stating it does not. The post above with quotes of these claims are from their own websites.

If you want to remap your power it may be cheaper to simply do this with an intake. A good one will increase your torque earlier. If you want to simply change how your pedal feels then one of these devices come into play.

-------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the 6 wire connector. On 05s and up there are two pedal position sensors. Each appear to be simple variable resistors utilizing a center tap, in other words 3 wires each. That is how they are represented but could be hall effects for reliability.

On an 05 these are ECM connections are 90, 106, 82 for sensor 1 and 91, 98, 83 for sensor 2. For an 07 these are 100, 97, 99 for sensor 1 and 104, 98, 103 for sensor 2. The middle connection being the center tap representation.

--------------------------------------------------------------

If the SB only has 6 wires and consists of an OP amp set then it looks like it is taking its power right off the pedal positioner (and therefore from the ECM). This is called 'phantom power' and can have some issues (do a search for those issues). If not then the cost of the SB internals may be far less then previously speculated (pennies).

Old 11-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
sorry for dragging u to discussion knightxyz..jesus tap dancing christ!!

Old 11-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by musti82
sorry for dragging u to discussion knightxyz..jesus tap dancing christ!!

So did you do what you are suppose to do and reset the accelerator release position? If not you may want to as it does affect many things not evident to many (such as fuel cutoff).

Old 01-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, i am most def getting one ASAP!

Old 05-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
they have turbonators and horsepower chips on ebay for $20. go get both of those and try it out.

what do those do?
man 300$ for that? pricey..

Old 05-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Man, talk about raised from the dead.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they boost throttle response. It's worth it. I took mine off and it felt like I was driving a whole different car. It's much easier to get "into it" and slide around. lulz.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by Stiker181
they boost throttle response. It's worth it. I took mine off and it felt like I was driving a whole different car. It's much easier to get "into it" and slide around. lulz.
kind of like a grounding kit?

Old 05-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by or_G
kind of like a grounding kit?
Not at all. They change the position of the butterfly. In a car without SB, 20% pedal gives 20% throttle opening. With the SB, you may get a 25-30% opening for the same footfeed input. It only changes the throttle response, it does NOT as HP.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Not at all. They change the position of the butterfly. In a car without SB, 20% pedal gives 20% throttle opening. With the SB, you may get a 25-30% opening for the same footfeed input. It only changes the throttle response, it does NOT as HP.
whats better?