Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

6MT getting harder to push into gear. Hlp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6MT getting harder to push into gear. Hlp

For about a month ago, I started noticing that I have to put a lot more pressure to shift into gear. YES I am clutching all the way. It happens to every gear. On some tired days, I end up grinding because I'm not used to pushing so hard.

When I'm at a stop, I'll clutch and shift into each of the 6 gears, going from 1-2, 2-3, it gets a lot smoother. I'll start driving and maybe about after 1-2 miles, it gets rough again.

Any ideas?

Old 02-18-2010, 06:15 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Subscribed...

I have this issue going into 2nd every once in awhile and like u said I know I push the clutch in all the way and it still grinds every once in awhile. I have yet found the issue.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:25 AM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
Could be an issue with the transmission, but before we go there what is the mileage on your car? If it's been some time since you changed your fluids I would start there.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 49k on it and I bought it at 42k. I'll find out if I can find a way to check my fluids. Almost forgot about those little buggers

Old 02-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
If you bought it recently I would check the maintenance records. If you cannot verify that the fluids have been changed I would have it done just for piece of mind.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i recently changed the tranny fluid and after the change, its harder to push into gear.
but after the car warms up, it becomes smooth again...i may have used a too thick of an oil. (royal purple 75w 90 i believe)

you guys may want to try changing the tranny fluid

Old 02-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello all. my problem is sort of related. after my car sits for awhile, usually a few hours or overnight, i'll start up the car and once i start going, it is sometimes impossible for me to shift into 2nd gear! or I have to use an abnormally high amount of strength to put it into 2nd, and it sort of has a grind feedback when it goes into gear. and it's only 2nd gear, none of the others! after driving for 10 minutes, it goes into 2nd gear ok and doesn't do the grind feedback...

this is unrelated, but when i first start the car and start going, i hear a little wind draft type (whistling) sound from the cabin for the first like 5 minutes. i don't have any rips in the seals anywhere, so that's def not it. anyone have this problem??

Old 02-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by techi13
i recently changed the tranny fluid and after the change, its harder to push into gear.
but after the car warms up, it becomes smooth again...i may have used a too thick of an oil. (royal purple 75w 90 i believe)

you guys may want to try changing the tranny fluid
I have tried aftermarket fluids & experienced the same thing.
I ended up coming back to the OE Nissan fluid.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by hondeducation
hello all. my problem is sort of related. after my car sits for awhile, usually a few hours or overnight, i'll start up the car and once i start going, it is sometimes impossible for me to shift into 2nd gear! or I have to use an abnormally high amount of strength to put it into 2nd, and it sort of has a grind feedback when it goes into gear. and it's only 2nd gear, none of the others! after driving for 10 minutes, it goes into 2nd gear ok and doesn't do the grind feedback...

this is unrelated, but when i first start the car and start going, i hear a little wind draft type (whistling) sound from the cabin for the first like 5 minutes. i don't have any rips in the seals anywhere, so that's def not it. anyone have this problem??
I got the whistling noise to, usually when its cold. There is a thread on it here somewhere, has to do with some kind of flap from what i remember.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Mine did it into 3rd and 6th. I took it to the dealer and it was actually the synchros going out. Mine was replaced under warrenty and I recieved an 06 tranny. Mine happend at 15k miles. I have over 45k now with no issues. Doesnt hurt to have it checked out at the dealer!

Old 02-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=hondeducation;4909503]hello all. my problem is sort of related. after my car sits for awhile, usually a few hours or overnight, i'll start up the car and once i start going, it is sometimes impossible for me to shift into 2nd gear! or I have to use an abnormally high amount of strength to put it into 2nd, and it sort of has a grind feedback when it goes into gear. and it's only 2nd gear, none of the others! after driving for 10 minutes, it goes into 2nd gear ok and doesn't do the grind feedback...
QUOTE]

Tried double clutching on the upshift? I started doing it on the first few shifts and I don't get a grind (only from 1st to 2nd). I rarely did get a grind, but I did have a rough shift which still annoyed me, now it goes in smoothly with the double clutching. I've also found that timing between clutch and shifting into 2nd is key for it to go smoothly in.