Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

DIY: Stainless steel clutch line

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
DIY: Stainless steel clutch line

I never saw a good DIY on my350z or here. Lack of detail and lack of pictures.

This took me about 3-4 hours mostly because I worked in 90+ degree weather in the sun, crawling on my *** on a sun baked driveway so I took breaks and I took pics.
The reason why I changed the line and fluid is because the clutch pedal stuck to the floor sometimes and I even stalled the car driving it sometimes because it would catch me by surprise because the engage point would be a lot sooner. Really embarrassing. That problem could also be caused by the clutch master cylinder which I have but before I spent many more hours changing that I wanted to see if the clutch line and new DOT 4 fluid would fix it and save a brand new clutch master cylinder for later when it will actually be needed.

The procedure is simple. The only tool that will take off the hard line from the stock rubber line is a "10mm flexible line wrench." No other tool will work including the same wrench that is not flexible or swivels. I tried both. If you try any other tool you will strip the bolt.
First loosen the hard line with the 10mm flexible wrench.
Using a pair of pliers slide the clip that sits right below the hard line bolt off the clip that is welded on the car subframe. This clip is spring loaded and it has a bent edge so that it's easy to grab with a pair of pliers. See the pic.
After that loosen the 12mm bolt on the transmission. See pic.
Install the new line in reverse order.
To bleed the system fill clutch reservoir constantly and pump the pedal letting it stick to the floor and open the bleeder bolt and continue from the beginning. See pic. I bled the system without help or a bleeder kit.

Pics.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:22 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Excellent write up my friend! So, is your clutch pedal behaving now? Also, do you mind listing the parts used, price of parts and where you bought them from? If it worked for you then I def. wanna have this done!

Old 09-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
It did not fix it. The clutch pedal still gets stuck. I'll have to change the clutch master cylinder when it gets a little cooler outside.

I bought the clutch line a year ago from CZP http://www.conceptzperformance.com/specials.php. Don't remember what I paid for the line.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump on a great diy which I'm gonna have to do myself soon. My clutch pedal always drops to the midway point in heavy traffic and stop and go... I tried passing the faulty clutch master cylinder under warrenty but Infinity doesn't want anything to do with it. Those asses say it has nothing to do with the 110k or 6 year powertrain warrenty but then again a master cylinder is soaked in oil and does have something to do with the powertrain. Go figure... As an owner of a Gcoupe I'm really not impressed about how Infiniti stands behind their vehicles at all. I'm gonna be getting a new master cylinder from the dealer along with a new SS clutch line for it. Hopefully it'll do the trick. I'm just skippy about how I'm gonna bleed the clutch system. Does anyone have a diy on here for the whole diy on a master cyclinder swap A-Z. Thanks in advance

Old 05-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrei
I never saw a good DIY on my350z or here. Lack of detail and lack of pictures.

This took me about 3-4 hours mostly because I worked in 90+ degree weather in the sun, crawling on my *** on a sun baked driveway so I took breaks and I took pics.
The reason why I changed the line and fluid is because the clutch pedal stuck to the floor sometimes and I even stalled the car driving it sometimes because it would catch me by surprise because the engage point would be a lot sooner. Really embarrassing. That problem could also be caused by the clutch master cylinder which I have but before I spent many more hours changing that I wanted to see if the clutch line and new DOT 4 fluid would fix it and save a brand new clutch master cylinder for later when it will actually be needed.

The procedure is simple. The only tool that will take off the hard line from the stock rubber line is a "10mm flexible line wrench." No other tool will work including the same wrench that is not flexible or swivels. I tried both. If you try any other tool you will strip the bolt.
First loosen the hard line with the 10mm flexible wrench.
Using a pair of pliers slide the clip that sits right below the hard line bolt off the clip that is welded on the car subframe. This clip is spring loaded and it has a bent edge so that it's easy to grab with a pair of pliers. See the pic.
After that loosen the 12mm bolt on the transmission. See pic.
Install the new line in reverse order.
To bleed the system fill clutch reservoir constantly and pump the pedal letting it stick to the floor and open the bleeder bolt and continue from the beginning. See pic. I bled the system without help or a bleeder kit.

Pics.

Damn it... forgot to check your post before going at it the other night... nearly rounded the hardline nut with "the other" wrenches... gonna have to invest in the flex line wrench... it was a PITA to do the ss braided clutch line... took me a good hour and a half.... no leaks so far... gotta wait till the flywheel insert comes in for my fidanza flywheel before i can change out the whole clutch and flywheel.... once all said and done, will get a better feel for improvement of the ss clutch line, if any (besides no expansion..), oh yeah, i put the heat shield sleeve from stock hose back on new clutch line.

It's a good idea to take off the smaller plastic undertray too as it will give more clearance to do work....

Old 08-31-2012, 01:52 PM
Clutch Fluid

Sorry to reopen an old thread, but I am about to do this.

This may be a dumb question, but do you have to drain the clutch fluid first? If yes, how? and how do you put the clutch fluid back in? I am assuming you cant just use the reservoir if it is drained.

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:05 AM
As soon as you undo the original hose from the slave it will drain itself!

To save some mess use a syringe or similar to drain as much as you can from the reservoir (which wont be too much) and have a drain pan ready under the car.

Easy job... IF you can undo the hardline without rounding the nut

Old 09-17-2013, 05:08 AM
Speaking of which, anyone know the part number of the hardpipe that the flex hose connects to?!!!

Old 05-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Wideboy
Speaking of which, anyone know the part number of the hardpipe that the flex hose connects to?!!!
It depends on the year of the G35 but here's a URL that should help anyone with having to replace the clutch piping and components. All part numbers are on this website. I'd recommend picking up these parts from the dealership to avoid shipping fees. I had to replace my hard line due it it snapping off when removing the flare nut. It ran up to 20-25 dollars from the Nissan dealership. The lock clip was also a few bucks.

2004 G35 Coupe - http://infiniti.sewellparts.com/oem-...oupe-2004.html

Old 09-25-2023, 03:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I couldn’t figure out how to remove the retaining clip that holds the clutch line in place. There’s not much room and leverage to get some pliers in there, and even if you could, you can’t see what to grab on to. Flat head didn’t budge anything either. Any ideas?