Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Transgo VB Upgrade NOT for 5AT Daily Drivers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transgo VB Upgrade NOT for 5AT Daily Drivers

I have painfully come to realize that with the Tansgo valve body upgrade, you will never get rid of the 2-3rd hard shift. I had the Transgo kit installed with my turbos and the 2-3rd shift got harder and harder over time. It got to where it felt like someone was rear-ending me when it shifted. After about 30k miles, it was so bad, I had to get my entire transmission rebuilt. $6,000 later, I got my G back, and I can still feel the 2-3rd hard shift. The problem was not fixed, just masked. I am at the point where I probably have to buy a new factory valve body just to get the transmission to shift normal. I would NOT recommend a Transgo valve body upgrade for a daily driver. I spoke to Transgo and they said they were aware of the problem and there was no fix. They have terrible customer service and had no interest in helping me. If anyone has ever been through this nightmare and knows a solution, I would love to hear it.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Good to know about your experience, Boggess, thanks for posting.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Ouch!! Sorry to hear.. Never heard of anyone with problems with the transgo before..

Old 02-06-2011, 08:40 PM
I don't mind hard shifts, but is the 2-3 shift harder than the other shifts? Besides the discomfort, is there any mechanical or design problem with the kit?

Old 02-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
I'm sorry you're going through this. Honestly though, I think you had either installation error or incorrect AT fluid levels. I've daily driven my supercharged coupe with transgo kit for over 15k miles and have not had any problems with the kit. You get hard shifts when you drive aggressively, and slightly more noticeable than stock shifts when you drive normal.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:47 PM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
Itasha Coupe
bigc, do you just drive your 5AT coupe in normal drive or do you use the manual-matic?

Old 02-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
Interesting, I wonder if the turbo adds to this issue. I was getting ready to do this mod, but I am not FI. I was going to do this mod because i read that it help extend the life of your transmission.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Does it shift hard even if you have it in manumatic and shift at a low rpm from 2nd to 3rd???

Old 02-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by bigc
I'm sorry you're going through this. Honestly though, I think you had either installation error or incorrect AT fluid levels. I've daily driven my supercharged coupe with transgo kit for over 15k miles and have not had any problems with the kit. You get hard shifts when you drive aggressively, and slightly more noticeable than stock shifts when you drive normal.
Who installed your Transgo?

Old 02-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Wings Nation

Originally Posted by konxeptionz
bigc, do you just drive your 5AT coupe in normal drive or do you use the manual-matic?
i'd say 80% in drive / 20% in manual mode now that i'm up in Norcal. Was 50/50 in socal (better roads )
Originally Posted by lsmooth81
Who installed your Transgo?
specialty-z in Chatsworth, CA (san fernando valley). very good guys there.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 PM
specialty-z in Chatsworth, CA (san fernando valley). very good guys there.
I thought you had it done in the Bay area, I need to find a good reputable shop in NorCal to do the install.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 PM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
Itasha Coupe
i'd say 80% in drive / 20% in manual mode now that i'm up in Norcal. Was 50/50 in socal (better roads )
Other then the obvious of being able to somewhat control your car's shifting when you're a boosted 5AT, does it hinder your tranny in anyway to just leave it in drive?

I've been reading FI forums back and forth and it just seems to be a mix of people who only drive in manual-matic and others leaving it in drive. No real hard evidence has been provided that leaving it in drive will hinder your tranny though, so I'm just trying to figure what the issue is before I start piecing together my Vortech.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Wings Nation

Originally Posted by lsmooth81
I thought you had it done in the Bay area, I need to find a good reputable shop in NorCal to do the install.
nah, i had the transgo installed two weeks before i installed the supercharger. if i were looking for someone to help self-install a kit up here, I'd PM g35papa. also, kevin (xx7sephiroth7xx) and evan (elayman) have installed the kit as well.
Originally Posted by konxeptionz
Other then the obvious of being able to somewhat control your car's shifting when you're a boosted 5AT, does it hinder your tranny in anyway to just leave it in drive?

I've been reading FI forums back and forth and it just seems to be a mix of people who only drive in manual-matic and others leaving it in drive. No real hard evidence has been provided that leaving it in drive will hinder your tranny though, so I'm just trying to figure what the issue is before I start piecing together my Vortech.
Our 5AT shifts pretty quick on its own, but when going WOT & boosted, you want to make sure you're in the right gear (ie not too high of a gear). So, if i know i'm going to get on the car, i keep it in manual mode. I know what you mean though about hearing conflicting opinions.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by 03BaseSedan
I don't mind hard shifts, but is the 2-3 shift harder than the other shifts? Besides the discomfort, is there any mechanical or design problem with the kit?
I don't mind hard shifts either, as long as it occurs across all gears consistently. The hard shift with the Transgo VB upgrade happens only in 2nd-3rd when accelerating a little faster than normal. If the shifting was firm across all gears at that level of acceleration, it would not be an issue. However, when I am driving "normal" and all gears are smooth except the clunk from 2nd-3rd, to me this is a problem.

As far as mechanical issues go, the 2nd-3rd shift gets harder and harder with time, and I had to get my transmission rebuilt within 30k miles. I suspect if I do not buy a new VB (another $1000), I will be rebuilding my transmission again in the near future...but I am not sure how the new stock VB will interact with the built transmission??? I may need to check out a different VB upgrade. I guess the only alternate is a Stillen VB. Looks like I will end up with a $10k transmission when all is said and done. Maybe I should have bought a GT-R.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
I've never had a problem with my Transgo and I DD my G.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transgo VB Upgrade NOT for 5AT Daily Drivers