Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Transgo VB Upgrade NOT for 5AT Daily Drivers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
if your AT fluid is still tied into your radiator then i doubt you're overcooling it.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's a good point. "Overcooling" is probably the wrong term to use. I think that it still could be running below the optimal operating temp with the all highway driving and extremely cold outside temps. Back in the 50s and 60s this week, so I'll see if I notice a difference.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
OP if you want to put a stock vb back in.. send me your vb with the transgo kit installed. i will install it in my car and then send you my stock one

Old 02-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by VQEric
Haha, yeah I know it's normal for it to downshift when I mash the pedal, but the harshness of the downshift is alarming. It's enough for me to avoid making it do it. I'm talking about a heck of a bang here. It would get your attention. I think I'll go back to driving in mostly MM and pre-downshift if I know I'm going to get on it. I get better response that way anyway.

willey, I've been thinking about fluid temp, too. Something is telling me that I have an overcooling issue with how cold it's been lately and my commute is 30 miles all highway, so I'm quickly in a TC lockup situation. I'll be paying close attention as it gets warmer outside. I need to install a temp gauge first so I know what I'm really dealing with. Any reco on a guage and where to install?

Thanks.
If you aren't running an aftermarket cooler externally from the OEM in-radiator cooler than you are not going to be over cooled. That fluid heats up quite a bit - even in lock up.

I don't think you need to worry about it running cold unless you are in -20* temps frequently with an external cooler that doesn't route through the radiator.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
anyone in northeast area knows a shop or know how to install a transgo kit? im from MA

Old 11-15-2014, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE: I think I now agree with the folks here who say my 5AT had a bad transgo installation by Forged Performance. After the TT install & valve body upgrade, Sharif talked me into having Forged rebuild my transmission. I asked them to please fix my number one concern (i.e. 2/3 hard shift under normal accel). Well after spending $1k on the VB, and $7k on the tranny rebuild, I'm still having the same problem, and its getting worse with only15k miles on the Forged Performance transmission rebuild.

I've made 2 phone calls to Forged Performance recently just to see if there have been any developments or solutions to this so-called common problem. Each time the Forged telemarketers tell me Sharif will call me "next week". It's been over a month now and no return phone call from anyone at Forged Performance. If I add what I paid Forged Performance for the twin turbo installation to the tranny work, it is well over $20k. Wow, you would think a company would give you a courtesy phone call back after spending over twenty grand with them.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,028 Likes on 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Boggess
UPDATE: I think I now agree with the folks here who say my 5AT had a bad transgo installation by Forged Performance. After the TT install & valve body upgrade, Sharif talked me into having Forged rebuild my transmission. I asked them to please fix my number one concern (i.e. 2/3 hard shift under normal accel). Well after spending $1k on the VB, and $7k on the tranny rebuild, I'm still having the same problem, and its getting worse with only15k miles on the Forged Performance transmission rebuild.

I've made 2 phone calls to Forged Performance recently just to see if there have been any developments or solutions to this so-called common problem. Each time the Forged telemarketers tell me Sharif will call me "next week". It's been over a month now and no return phone call from anyone at Forged Performance. If I add what I paid Forged Performance for the twin turbo installation to the tranny work, it is well over $20k. Wow, you would think a company would give you a courtesy phone call back after spending over twenty grand with them.
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I haven't heard of a full proof transmissions swap for 2-3 issues yet or I would chime in with some advice. Only thing I figure is that If I had my transmission rebuilt it would be covered for a lifetime of the car.

Just saying.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Urban! I agree. It's strange when I talk to GTM I'm hearing there shouldn't be an issue with 2-3 hard shifting with FI, but Forged Performance says this is normal. So, just FYI to anyone out there thinking about going FI with a 5AT, please make sure before spending all the $$$$, that your shop can make the car hook up.