Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

First time transmission install, busted trans pump?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 04:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time transmission install, busted trans pump?

Hey guys, got a 2005 G35 Sedan AT, 150k miles. Unfortunately, after resolving an issue with Front Brake Solenoid, I discovered the trans was shot. I picked up a 110k mile trans at a good price from salvage. Upon installing (like I said, first time) I didn’t have the torque converter fully seated in the trans, and went to tighten up the bolts to the engine to guide the pins in, cause that’s all that was keeping it from sliding together. The bolts were easy to tighten with a ratchet, nothing felt wrong. After getting trans mounted, I went to turn crankshaft to bolt up the flywheel and it wouldn’t budge. After some reading I discovered that I must’ve not had it fully seated, which I didn’t. I also figured out while reading that I could’ve damaged the pump :/ I didn’t wanna put it in correctly without knowing if I’m wasting time cause of the pump. 1. The bolts were super easy to tighten, and nothing felt out of the ordinary whatsoever, and I had the trans super flush before tightening and torque converter was on the splines. No noise other than the metal “sliding” in from the pins (supposedly could be a pop if pump breaks). 2. No physical damage on the pump seal, everything seats and moves fine still. 3. The distance I close the gap with bolts was MAX 3/8 of an inch, same length as pins on trans. What are my chances I broke the pump, and how do I know if I did? I really feel like it’s probably fine even though I’ve read it’s a possibility but don’t wanna take trans apart if not necessary or put it in and have to take it back out. Thanks - Josh

Old 09-18-2018, 11:27 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,459 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Replied to your other thread.