Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Quaife LSD ... finally available!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 05:41 PM
G Kreuzer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quaife LSD ... finally available!

Just recieved official words the long awaited Quaife LSD for 350Z/G35 is finally released and ready to be shipped. Suggested Retail price is $1495 ... no surprise here. Sharif's hosting a groupbuy at My350Z.com for $1380 (shipping included!!!). Check this thread

It is a straight drop-in affair for those with the stock OPEN differential. Yes, unorthodox ... but that is what Quaife UK went with. Those with the vLSD diff. will also need the stub axles for the open diff. in order to make this work. However, this may actually work out nicely with the following scenario:

1. Look for someone with an open diff. and do a pumpkin swap w. them.
2. They get a free upgrade from open to oem vLSD (yours) and you get their open diff that readily accepts the Quaife LSD.
3. Both parties are happy!!!

Since I'm not in the business of selling ... those interested may want to contact Sharif (Sharif@Forged at My350Z.com), who's an authorized Quaife dealer, for purchase info.

I'm looking to drop one in soon.

Last edited by THX723; 07-21-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Clint, that's some good news excpet the part about the open diff. So the only thing that is needed for us VLSD guys is just the stub axles for the open diff if we don't trade pumpkins right? You happen to know about how much a pair of open diff stub axles cost? And where to get them besides ordering from the dealer? Good work on this.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:00 PM
G Kreuzer
Yeah ... bummer about the non 'drop-in' ability for the vLSD folks. I guess the existing Quaife core just didn't fit well w. the vLSD stub axles.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:15 PM
You would think the majority of the buyers for this product would be 350Z owners. And the majority of the 350Zs out there have a VLSD already since the base model is the only one with an open diff. So from a marketing standpoint you would think making it fit for the VLSD would be Quaifes best bet. But all this is just an assumption on my part. Oh well, I'm just glad they made it period.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:26 AM
G Kreuzer
I believe it's something to do w. the dimensions of the existing Quaife core.

Old 07-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Wow, we've been waiting all this time and no one else is interested?

Old 07-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
LSD????????

Old 07-24-2005, 05:01 AM
I'm interested in getting this!!!! How much for install cost?

Old 07-25-2005, 07:08 PM
Really depends on what you have. Do you have an open diff or a VLSD diff? Open diff people will probably need to replace 2 side bearings and definitely 2 oil seals. That's about $90 for those parts. If you have a VLSD you will also have to buy 2 stub axles for an open diff that cost about $128 each. As far as labor costs go I'm guessing it will be a 2-3 hour job so expect about $200 - $300 in installation costs. Check out the linked thread in the first post for answers and for the group buy.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:56 AM
Welp I just ordered my Quaife through the groupbuy on my350z.com. Should be getting it sometime next week but not sure when I can get it installed. I'll try to post a review at a future date. Thanks to Clint and Sharif for getting this started.

Old 07-28-2005, 01:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quaife is Torsen LSD, right? If I were serious enough to change the current VLSD for aftermarket one, I would go for clutch-type 1.5 way LSD as clutch type is the best out of three for racing. I don't see drastic improvements going from VLSD to torsen. Correct me if I'm wrong... Anyway, I'm sure there are clutch-type LSD from Cusco and/or Kaaz that fits in the VLSD pumpkin...

Old 07-28-2005, 01:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just checked and found 1.5 way from Cusco($929) and Nismo($999) and 2 way from Kaaz($999). Cusco also makes 1.5 way for AT models, which I'm assuming is the model without LSD.

Old 07-28-2005, 04:44 AM
G Kreuzer
Originally Posted by Rookie84
Quaife is Torsen LSD, right? If I were serious enough to change the current VLSD for aftermarket one, I would go for clutch-type 1.5 way LSD as clutch type is the best out of three for racing. I don't see drastic improvements going from VLSD to torsen. Correct me if I'm wrong... Anyway, I'm sure there are clutch-type LSD from Cusco and/or Kaaz that fits in the VLSD pumpkin...
Viscous LSD (VLSD) are not in the same league as the Quaife/Torsen LSD and the clutch packed LSD. Due to the nature of the viscous mechanism, this type of LSD needs one wheel to actually break traction before the coupling effect starts to work, an uninspiring behavior at the track. Most viscous unit also bias no more than a paltry 30% of the torque on the average. This figure diminishes as the viscous core continue to wear and age.

Best LSD? Well, that really depends on how one places their priorities.

Clutch pack LSDs certainly don't lack anything in terms of it's torque biasing capabilities. It is second to none in this department. However, it's operation is typically a not so seemless and noisy affair accompany by inside tire dragging in low speed turning situations. These are traits that are not so desirable for your typical weekend autox/track warriors, who also daily commute their rides. Some added maintenance(s) are also not uncommon with with clutch packed LSDs (e.g. frequent oil changes, clutch pack rebuilt).

Quaife and Torsen LSD offer infinitely variable torque biasing that is seemless and it's gear drive nature is silent in operation. The lack of active wearing parts also meant it is essentially maintenance free; that is no more than the stock vLSD or open differential. It's capabilities on track also rivals the clutch type. The only disadvantage of the Quaife or Torsen is the inability to continue torque transfer momentarily when one drive wheel lifts in the air.

Serious and competitive racers in need of a capable LSD certainly ought to start by looking into clutch type LSD first, then decide if indeed it is what they want. It is not uncommon to find race teams from various sectors and competitiveness that opt to use Quaife or Torsen type LSDs in place of the clutch type for many reasons. If your intention is to compete in Formula-D style drifting then you should look no further than clutch type LSDs, due to the very nature of the car dynamics in this sport. This is not to say cars can't perform drifts w. other types of LSDs.

IMO, it is probably safe to assume the majority of the buyers in the market are non 'hardcore'; loosely defined as those w.o. a dedicated car for track/autoX (that includes myself and I do quite a bit of it). The streetability and Quaife's unpresedented lifetime warranty that also covers racing makes it an outstanding choice over all others ... based on my priorities. YMVV.

Last edited by THX723; 07-28-2005 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Well said Clint. Just curious, I was having a conversation the other day with another car enthusiast friend of mine and a question came up. How much locking force can the stock VLSD found in the G35's and 350Z's have? He was telling me some of the older Miatas had as little as 15%.

Old 07-28-2005, 03:17 PM
G Kreuzer
Darren,
I dont' know the hard numbers but 30% is about the maximum anyone would expect from a decent viscuous type LSD. There are exceptions of course. I would think for this car the 30% sounds and feel about right when *new*.

Keep in mind the 30% figure is at optimum condition. Viscous LSD tend to not work well until they warm up a little. The coupling effect then dimishes when the unit begins to overheat. Fundamentally, it is no different than a torque converter from an AT tranny. Quite simply ... vLSD is no good for extreme conditions such as the track.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Quaife LSD ... finally available!