Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Noise Only When It Is Cold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mmpotash
Well, the new weatherstripping did not fix the problem. I'm out of ideas and my dealership is out of ideas. So, if anyone has any actual proven solution....
Ya, I sure would like to know the solution to this one. It is the only big flaw so far on my 05.
I'd swear it is coming from the rear and simply goes away after five minutes.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me Too!

Ditto ...... weird noise coming fom my '06 Coupe w/ 1200 miles. It's the damnest thing to pinpoint,huh?
I've decided to just forget about it since it seems to disappear after a few minutes just as everone else reports.
The good news is the rest of my new car is (so far) without defects and I love it!.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:38 PM
Being from Ottawa, Canada and all I figured with the all the cold tempertures we get (though not this year until today) the local Infiniti service tech would've had to deal with this by now. To my surprise, they've never heard of it. To their credit they were eager to have me leave the car overnight to let the tech have a crack at it. I declined. I'm having too much fun with this baby. The car is a 06 Coupe with 3000Km and I'm not willing to part with it for a minor annoyance. FWIW I have a 6MT and the noise is definitely more noticable this morning when it was below 0 F.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:58 PM
the wind noice thats not from wind

I have the same noise in cold weather, below -5C perhaps. I have an 05 G35 Coupe MT6. 7600km on the OD.

I am pretty sure that it is not from wind, but rather from something in the drive chain. Perhaps the LSD? I can hear the noise at speeds slow enough that air isn't moving quickly enough to generate noise. From 10km/h.

The noise comes from the back somewhere, and the coupe doesn't have windows or doors back there.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:40 PM
I have a good idea what/where the problem is comming from, and I believe it's only coming from 6MT cars, if that's a hint to anyone. I will let another few days past and will try and confirm this.

Old 01-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by SupraTTurbo
I have a good idea what/where the problem is comming from, and I believe it's only coming from 6MT cars, if that's a hint to anyone. I will let another few days past and will try and confirm this.
You tease. I will be waiting. Is it something the dealer can fix?

Old 01-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Noise

So, are there ANY automatics with this problem?

Old 01-21-2006, 07:46 AM
I am pretty sure that it is not from wind, but rather from something in the drive chain. Perhaps the LSD? I can hear the noise at speeds slow enough that air isn't moving quickly enough to generate noise. From 10km/h.

The easiest way to eliminate the insulation around the windows as a cause for the noise is to drive a few seconds with the windows down. If the sound is still there and hasn't changed, it must have another cause.

Old 01-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by FAST1

The easiest way to eliminate the insulation around the windows as a cause for the noise is to drive a few seconds with the windows down. If the sound is still there and hasn't changed, it must have another cause.

It sounds like wind, but I don't think it is wind. It seems to match RPM's.
Besides, if it was insulation would cold be a factor?

Old 01-21-2006, 08:41 AM
My 03 6mt doesn't really do it with rpms, its more with speed. Like if i am going 20mph in 2nd or 3rd, and put it in neutral, the noise is still there..
But like you all said, it only lasts about the first 5 min... To me it kinda resembles a badly worn tire, just at a different tone and not as loud..

Old 01-21-2006, 03:30 PM
I have the exact same issue. It really doesn't bother me, as it goes away after a couple of minutes. The only other rattle is the one that comes from the little leveler-thingy in the baby-seat base...(probably not too common a problem amongst the rest of you, I would imagine )

Old 01-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by iamstr8fire
My steering wheel makes a clickin noise after I turn it when it has been sitting in the cold all day while i'm at work. Is that normal?
same here but not clicking but a wired noise
the dealer it was sterring boots needed greasing

Old 02-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Noise in 6MT?

Still no solution?????????

Old 02-06-2006, 06:36 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS
To be more precise, it's not 6MTs, it's "rev-up" engines: (298 hp, 7k redline, vvt on both sides) engines. And there folks is the key, exhaust leak when cold, engine warms up, exhaust seals, problem goes away. Big change to the engine was variable valve timing on the exhaust side. Therein lies our woes. Note that it only happens when metal is cold. In the summer, did anyone experience this problem (no smart-ash comments from nightime drivers in Alaska or Nunavut, please). Does anyone with a 280 hp engine have said issue with same symptoms? Note the sound is pitch related to engine rpm, vice drivetrain rpm.

Cheers,
D

p.s. soon it will be spring/summer and we won't hafta listen to it till late next fall.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:37 AM
There may be two different things being described on this thread. I don't have the revup and I do get the 'wind' noise. It doesn't match rpms, it matches speed. i.e. I don't hear it while I am moving slow. It 'sounds' like my passanger side back window is down just a crack. The only thing is......... I don't have a back window, it's a coupe. After 5 minutes or so the wind noise just disappears.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Noise Only When It Is Cold