Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

engine stalling on 2004 coupe w/ less than 25k?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy engine stalling on 2004 coupe w/ less than 25k?

looking for some insight...

left my house and less than 1/2 a mile later, while i'm in 3rd, i have my foot on the gas but the car's not moving any faster. i downshift into 2nd, still nothing. i eventually roll to a complete stop and the engine stalls.

waited a few mins and tried again - no prob getting the car started, but as soon as i did, rpms would just drop and the car would die. has anyone else experienced this?

it was about 99 degrees that day, but i can't imagine that having much to do with it.

also, i'm 100% stock. '04 6mt coupe. just got an oil change less than 200 miles ago and had 3/4 tank of gas.

taking it to the dealership tonite (still under warranty, thank god) but thought i'd see if anyone else knew what was going on.

Old 07-17-2006, 12:43 PM
What did you dash look like? Engine warnings and such?

I know if the check engine light comes on, the car goes into freakout mode and won't let you go over 20 mph. I turned it off and then back on, the light remained on but the car operates normally.

Old 07-17-2006, 12:49 PM
Sounds like you may have a problem with you idle or your O2 sensor. Can you drive and keep the rpms up or not? I am no car expert, but I had a problem with an older car stalling out and the O2 sensor was bad.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your maf sensor might be screwed up. if it is... it should be an easy fix for the dealer.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by HeadOrange
What did you dash look like? Engine warnings and such?

I know if the check engine light comes on, the car goes into freakout mode and won't let you go over 20 mph. I turned it off and then back on, the light remained on but the car operates normally.
nope, no engine lights - nothing on the dash indicating that there was a problem.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very tru sounds mike the mass air flow sensr got knocked off or is malfucting...no big prob if thats the case..Gl and keep us posted

joe

Old 07-17-2006, 06:11 PM
i had this problem and the dealer said that my air flow sensor was bad. Go take the car to the dealer.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:38 AM
she's doing much better now

i just got her back from the dealership the other day.

here's what happened: back in january, i took my car to the DUKE OF OIL in westmont, IL. their tech highly recommended that i get my air filter changed and my bf agreed. so i got it done. except the idiot that did it jammed my new air filter in there, as opposed to removing the appropriate parts and installing it properly. SO, i've been driving with a f*&ked up air filter for the last 6 months.

as soon as the tech at infiniti popped my hood, he told me that he already saw something that didn't look right. and instead of the air filter sitting nice and comfortably in order to maintain its symmetrical shape, it was bulging out on one side, like someone had stretched it out with their hands. needless to say, this left a huge hole for all the debris to fly in and throw off my MAF sensor.

so for those of you that guessed it - you were right!

i called the district mgr. of the duke of oil, and he sent a tech out to the dealership that my car was at to inspect, and he agreed that something wasn't right. they agreed to pay for MOST of the cost: replacing the air filter and MAF sensor.

but maybe one of you could help me out with this. the tech at the dealership suggested that i get my throttle body cleaned as "maintenance" but isn't that something that could have been a result of the improper installation of the air filter? he was trying to charge me $130 to do this, and i told him to forget it, if it wasn't something that i NEEDED to do... what do you guys think?