Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

people use Mobil 1 syn oil..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 03:25 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kenempireex
people use Mobil 1 syn oil, what filter do you guys use? How many mile in between oil change?
Nissan guys, (which I am one of) swear by mobil 1 synthetic oil and put nothing else in their car once their engine is broken in enough, so that's all i use. I use generic filter's and change every 3k.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mobil m108

Old 01-31-2007, 03:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JdM_G35
mobil m108
M110 is a slighter bigger filter, buy that one instead, or get the Pureone PL14610, which is equal in quality and cheaper

Old 01-31-2007, 04:01 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
The 108 is the only one I could find, I'll look for the 110, thanks.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:01 PM
mobile 1 fully synth 5w30 with mobile 1 filter every 4k...though it should last longer hell my moms benz goes 10-15k! before oil change

Old 01-31-2007, 04:03 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
It should last longer but no as long as the Benz. I believe the Benz uses 2 or 3x the oil as a fill? That = longer life.

Originally Posted by jiggafree
mobile 1 fully synth 5w30 with mobile 1 filter every 4k...though it should last longer hell my moms benz goes 10-15k! before oil change

Old 01-31-2007, 04:21 PM
mobil one synth with the OEM filter every 3k

Old 01-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Actually I also said "not just for your motor" indicating I already covered the "engine" statement also.

If you look at the box, oem nissan filters often cover not only your engine but other engines in the nissan line. So, nissan isn't THAT specific with their oil/air filter designs.

And to quantify that statement, there have been numerous EOA's done on Nissan engines w/ different oils/filters that prove good aftermarket filters are not only adequate but often better than oem.
Most Nissan vechiles are powered by a version of the VQ 3.5L V-6 engine, thus requiring the same filer. Even though they are different cars they use essentially the same engine. Yes, there are some exceptions with some 4-cylinder models, but, again, they are exceptions to the rule and not the norm.

Would you be so kind as to link the article claiming that aftermarket filters are "better" than OEM. Would like to read it for my own understanding of the subject. -Thanks. Hopefully, the article is done by an unbias third party such as a public university.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:08 PM
Red Card Crew

Not the exception. Unless you have an oem filter chart detailing all the filter's applications. In fact, there are at least TWO filters for the V6 VQ35. One is short, other is long. Depending on what car it's in. Most likely for clearance reasons. So it's clear there is much leeway in terms of design.

You may browse this forum that has many, many, many tests done: http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...eads.php?Cat=0

And before you are finished the all hail for oem products. Nissan has even changed their design for more than one oil filter (to a cheaper design). They have even discontinued one specific oil filter for my old maxima VE30DE and then issued a VG30 powered maxima oil filter as a replacement. So how exactly can they do that?

In addition, that VE30DE filter spanned I4, V6 and even the V8. The only common theme was they all had VTC assemblies.

Originally Posted by TRIG
Most Nissan vechiles are powered by a version of the VQ 3.5L V-6 engine, thus requiring the same filer. Even though they are different cars they use essentially the same engine. Yes, there are some exceptions with some 4-cylinder models, but, again, they are exceptions to the rule and not the norm.

Would you be so kind as to link the article claiming that aftermarket filters are "better" than OEM. Would like to read it for my own understanding of the subject. -Thanks. Hopefully, the article is done by an unbias third party such as a public university.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
Nissan doesn't even make its own filters, they are just rebadged filters from another manufacture. You've been brainwashed into thinking there is something special about the OEM filter
To expand on your last argument: most car companies, not just Nissan, don't make their own oil filter. In fact most car companies don't make their own:

1. Radios
2. Tires
3. Wheels
4. Turbos (except for Mits.)
5. Superchargers
6. Locks
7. Carpets
8. Headlights
9. Speakers
10. Screws, push pins, etc.
11. Light bulbs
12. Fluids
13. Keys & Remote FOBS
14. Traction Control
15. Air filters
16. ECU components

There's more but I think you got the point by now.

This doesn't mean they didn't specify the tolerance specs to the third party suppliers, test each of the components that goes into their vechicles, and picked the best one that the vehcile's price segment could afford. There's a great article on the Bugatti Veyron's tires development. They had to work really hard with one of the tires company (i think it was Mich, not 100% sure) to produce a street legal tire compound that could hold up to 250+ MPH. Even though Bugatti didn't produce/manufacture it they had a large part its developing and testing of the rubber compound.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:27 PM
Red Card Crew

Um comparing tire development of a multi-million dollar car vs an oil filter for a mass produced engine. About as apples to oranges as it gets.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by kenempireex
people use Mobil 1 syn oil, what filter do you guys use? How many mile in between oil change?
I use base filter with 3k changes

Old 01-31-2007, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by DHCrocks
if this was the case then it should apply to all aspects of the engine design including fluids, so you shouldn't even be using Mobil1, should use Nissan fluids only. Of course this does apply for the trans which needs to be Nissan.
This is a great point. I have been conditioned by my father that synthetics are better than conventional and I have read that Mobil 1 is by far the best synthetic. That's why Vipers, Corvettes, and the space shuttle use it. And that is why I use it. But changing the oil can affect the engines performance. Here's a great example: In 2000 I bought 2000 E46 328CI (that's the coupe). The month after I bought it I changed all of its fluids. I used mostly BMW packaged fluids except for the engine oil; for that I used Quaker State synthetic. The next day the car ran like crap. The idle was rough and I took it to the dealership thinking that I could of damaged a sensor while I was working on the car. The dealership changed the oil back to BMW syn (which he told me was Castro Syn) and it ran perfectly afterwards. I know for sure Fer ENZOs are like this also. You have to buy special oil made for ENZOs are the will void your warranty. I think each quart is like $150, or something very crazy.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TRIG
To expand on your last argument: most car companies, not just Nissan, don't make their own oil filter. In fact most car companies don't make their own:

1. Radios
2. Tires
3. Wheels
4. Turbos (except for Mits.)
5. Superchargers
6. Locks
7. Carpets
8. Headlights
9. Speakers
10. Screws, push pins, etc.
11. Light bulbs
12. Fluids
13. Keys & Remote FOBS
14. Traction Control
15. Air filters
16. ECU components

There's more but I think you got the point by now.

This doesn't mean they didn't specify the tolerance specs to the third party suppliers, test each of the components that goes into their vechicles, and picked the best one that the vehcile's price segment could afford. There's a great article on the Bugatti Veyron's tires development. They had to work really hard with one of the tires company (i think it was Mich, not 100% sure) to produce a street legal tire compound that could hold up to 250+ MPH. Even though Bugatti didn't produce/manufacture it they had a large part its developing and testing of the rubber compound.
So if Nissan specs their filter to a manufacturer, who then makes their own version of the filter and sells it as aftermarket, does that make it inferior? You ignored the rest of my post, oil filter makers base their filters off of OEM specs, and sometimes improve on the design. Go read this post http://www.6mt.net/forum/showthread....hlight=pureone and see how the OEM filter is made, and compare it the mobile-1 or puralator, and then tell me the OEM is superior. Carboard endcaps and nitrile rubber antidrainback valves are hardly the best thing out there

Old 01-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Red Card Crew

You don't mention the viscosities of the oil. and Mobil 1 is no longer uses synthetics as base stocks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: people use Mobil 1 syn oil..