Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

people use Mobil 1 syn oil..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS Oil with AMS Oil filter. Change every 3750 as recommended. This stuff is great...pricey...but great!

Old 01-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Um comparing tire development of a multi-million dollar car vs an oil filter for a mass produced engine. About as apples to oranges as it gets.

I nevered compared the Bugatti tires to the Nissan's oil filter. I used that as example to support what I said about the development of a car. You might want to read things a bit slower and calm yourself down. We are just talking shop.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think alot of people realize that mobil-1 changed their formulation a while back, and are still riding their "best synthetic oil" wave for as long as they can. Its basically a dino oil with some additives now. Amsoil is superior, but harder to find

Old 01-31-2007, 05:52 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I believe that was what you were trying to imply with all of that? Unless you two were going totally off the subject

Originally Posted by TRIG
I nevered compared the Bugatti tires to the Nissan's oil filter. I used that as example to support what I said about the development of a car. You might want to read things a bit slower and calm yourself down. We are just talking shop.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:53 PM
Red Card Crew

Yes that's true. I still believe it's a quality oil. And given, the very SHORT OCI's these guys are doing, it will be fine. If I were FI or racing regularly, I'd also opt for a full synthetic like Amsoil.

Originally Posted by redlude97
I don't think alot of people realize that mobil-1 changed their formulation a while back, and are still riding their "best synthetic oil" wave for as long as they can. Its basically a dino oil with some additives now. Amsoil is superior, but harder to find

Old 01-31-2007, 05:54 PM
Most Nissan vechiles are powered by a version of the VQ 3.5L V-6 engine, thus requiring the same filer. Even though they are different cars they use essentially the same engine. Yes, there are some exceptions with some 4-cylinder models, but, again, they are exceptions to the rule and not the norm.

Would you be so kind as to link the article claiming that aftermarket filters are "better" than OEM. Would like to read it for my own understanding of the subject. -Thanks. Hopefully, the article is done by an unbias third party such as a public university.
Go call your Nissan dealer, all nissans since ~99 use 1 of 2 filters, including 4cyl, V6, and V8 models, with the difference being one is slightly longer than the other as stated previously. Both are interchangeable, and depending on the dealership, they will give you either one depending on their stock, so there goes your "specially designed" argument.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Yes that's true. I still believe it's a quality oil. And given, the very SHORT OCI's these guys are doing, it will be fine. If I were FI or racing regularly, I'd also opt for a full synthetic like Amsoil.
But so is dino oil if you are going to change every 3k, thats all I use, and my old preludes approaching 200k and never seen a drop of synthetic in its life. I just laugh when I hear the mobil1 bandwagon people still spouting the "mobile 1 is the best oil on earth" spiel

Old 01-31-2007, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
So if Nissan specs their filter to a manufacturer, who then makes their own version of the filter and sells it as aftermarket, does that make it inferior?

No, it does NOT make it inferior. It is probably the same filter but repackaged as their brand, and because it is the same filter, it will perform exactly the same as the original. Moreover, it would not make a difference if you used one or the other.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:57 PM
No, it does NOT make it inferior. It is probably the same filter but repackaged as their brand, and because it is the same filter, it will perform exactly the same as the original. Moreover, it would not make a difference if you used one or the other.
But then its no longer "OEM", the point is you are saying only to use the OEM filter, while everyone is trying to tell you the OEM sucks, and there are better filters out there with the same specs at the OEM filter. There are only a couple variables that come into play when designing a filter, size, thread, and bypass springrate. All of these are either obtained from nissan by the aftermarket filter makers, or easily determined from measurements. It doesn't take a PhD to copy a filter design, they are relatively simple devices, and alot of the aftermarket companies actually improve on the OEM filter by using more robust products or better filtering. You don't back up any of your arguments with any actual proof, while I did.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:23 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
hmm where would I get some amsoil? I just changed over to mobile 1...i wanna see if there is a difference.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:29 PM
Red Card Crew

IMHO you won't see/feel a difference. The difference will be in the oil analysis sheets. ie.. reduction of wear metals and the longer recommended service intervals

Old 01-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Hmm... I see. So do you think that most people only benefit from changing from regular to synthetic and any full syn is the same? (a real question, not being sarcastic)

Old 01-31-2007, 07:36 PM
Red Card Crew

Depends. If you are changing your oil/filter at 3k, one could almost use monkey *** and the engine will probably be okay. If one wants to change the oil at 5/6/7K or more, then they had better be a tad more particular about what oil / filter they use (although the filter should be changed at 3-4k regardless of the oil change interval). Mobil 1 IMHO was never touted as a long duration oil and thus the addtive packages reflect that. Amsoil on the other hand does have the base stocks and addtive packages to go long term (IF YOUR ANALYSIS ALLOWS IT!).

Built/FI engines.....synthetics all the way, no question, regardless of the oil change interval.

IMHO of course.

Another thing to consider is oil consumption. I've been noticing about 1 qt of oil being used at my normal 3750 mile interval. So IMHO again, there's no realy advantage of me going to a long change interval as I'd be topping it off 2 qts by the time I got to 7500. I use a tad more oil than I'd like to really get into a long oil change program like Amsoil has for their 7500 series.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 01-31-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:47 PM
so it goes back to my question...where's amsoil usually sold?

Old 01-31-2007, 07:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
monkey ***...that's gotta be expensive not to many monkeys around here. could I use turtle snot instead?

gees, lighten up everyone.

amsoil is a direct market type of thing. you need to find a reseller/dealer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: people use Mobil 1 syn oil..