Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

What hp gain from Stillen G2 exhaust + Ztube + hiflow intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by sloppymax
i was not asking for your help. im still not sure where you came from. all i said was i did research on this board and my350z then came to the conclusion that i am at. i did most of the research before i even bought the car. im not asking for handouts. when someone says, i can make 25-30whp with said mods then i say show me. sorry if you think thats demanding but lets look at it like this. lets say i have a local fabricator that will make a y pipe for our car. i say, i put it on today and i made 12whp and the part only cost $400. everyone here would flood with orders if it was legitimate. everyone then says prove it, i want to see dynos. i say, well you should have been there or i have the dynos somewhere but you should really order the part in the meantime though. are you really going to take my word for it? just like many other bolt on parts, aftermarket y pipes have been shown to display miniscule if any gains on an NA 3.5
you have the chance to prove me wrong showing a baseline then whatever line of bolt ons on the same dyno with the same correction. i will even skip the baseline, just prove me wrong is all im asking.
if you would finally answer the question I've asked 3 times I will prove you wrong. What does a stock 03-06 G35 MT, AT, coupe, sedan dyno on dynojet or dynapack?

I’ll give you a hint: I already stated it in previous post… There have been many in the 225-230 range (dynojet)… Questions number 2: what do you think the dynojet numbers after the types of “bolt-on” we are referencing and a tune is? Answer consistently 250-255hp

Go to some events, meet some of the people that have data, get yourself involved… Stop sitting behind your computer telling people that have spent 3 or more years with this stuff to be your laky and give you reports.

Give it a rest. I’m done with this crap.

To the Original Poster - research the threads, here and my350Z weed through the BS (I know it's difficult sometimes) and you will get the info you need... It is worth getting the "correct" configuration of bolt-ons and a tune... there are some that work and some that don't... it's not a one answer fits all...

Old 10-21-2007, 05:33 PM
the relavence is pretty substantial. every dyno can be setup in different manners and different models of dyno even by the same company have different abilities in those setups.
on a dynojet 248 i put down SAE 227hp and 214tq. STD#s were 232hp and 220tq.
exactly. You can have the EXACT same model dyno at one shop as another and they will dyno different. So who cares what the model number was... you just posted the numbers, which are about avg... now - go look up the dynos that are out there with the mods you need proof of... you will find that the cars that dyno's roughly sane numbers as you stock are now about 25-30hp higher.

I'm one of them!

And NOW I am done!

Old 10-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
exactly. You can have the EXACT same model dyno at one shop as another and they will dyno different. So who cares what the model number was... you just posted the numbers, which are about avg... now - go look up the dynos that are out there with the mods you need proof of... you will find that the cars that dyno's roughly sane numbers as you stock are now about 25-30hp higher.

I'm one of them!

And NOW I am done!
10-4 i will search under your username for dynos. if i dont see them posted then i will be highly dissapointed that you still no basis for your claims. if i do find them then i will gladly concede my disagreement. btw, i am pretty involved in the nissan community. i dont spend much time on the computer as denoted by my post count. i will probably have to search but im just curious where you are running in the quarter? i would go ahead assume if you do answer that we are talking full trim, street tires, etc.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you would finally answer the question I've asked 3 times I will prove you wrong. What does a stock 03-06 G35 MT, AT, coupe, sedan dyno on dynojet or dynapack?

I’ll give you a hint: I already stated it in previous post… There have been many in the 225-230 range (dynojet)… Questions number 2: what do you think the dynojet numbers after the types of “bolt-on” we are referencing and a tune is? Answer consistently 250-255hp

Go to some events, meet some of the people that have data, get yourself involved… Stop sitting behind your computer telling people that have spent 3 or more years with this stuff to be your laky and give you reports.

Give it a rest. I’m done with this crap.

To the Original Poster - research the threads, here and my350Z weed through the BS (I know it's difficult sometimes) and you will get the info you need... It is worth getting the "correct" configuration of bolt-ons and a tune... there are some that work and some that don't... it's not a one answer fits all...
If 250-255whp then I guess the mod is worth it. Did you also have the plenum spacer? I would reluctantly put in the spacer since I've read some have had some issues with the spacer. I also plan to install a strut tower bar and having the spacer could present a problem.

But if I could get 250-255, then I definitely will get them.

Appreciate everyone giving your opnions either from a optimistic or pessimistic point of view.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The tune (whether reflash or stand-alone) is how you net the most power out of your breathing mods. Slapping on an exhaust/spacer/intake will not add 20-25 whp, but add a good ecu reflash by Technosquare or have your car professionally tuned on a dyno, and it is quite possible you may see such gains--Add HFC's/headers to the mix and you will feel a performance increase. Again, its the tune that is critical to squeezing out every bit of power

The MD 5/16 spacer shouldn't be a problem with most strut bars, but you might want to remove the engine cover or swap for a Z engine cover to be safe (I have a z cover, 5/16 spacer/MREV2, arc strut bar, and there is a good amount of clearance b/w the upper plenum and strut with the strut just barely rubbing against the hood lining). The MD 1/2 spacer may present more of a problem as far as clearance is concerned and you would def. have to forego the engine cover.

Last edited by jonnylaw; 10-21-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:27 PM
10-4 i will search under your username for dynos. if i dont see them posted then i will be highly dissapointed that you still no basis for your claims. if i do find them then i will gladly concede my disagreement. btw, i am pretty involved in the nissan community. i dont spend much time on the computer as denoted by my post count. i will probably have to search but im just curious where you are running in the quarter? i would go ahead assume if you do answer that we are talking full trim, street tires, etc.
LACR, Irwindale and CA Speedway in Fontana
this thread will give you an idea of "what I'm running":
https://g35driver.com/forums/video-share/174795-sedan-vs-coupe-mt.html

As far as "basis for my claims" I have plenty - however as jonnylaw stated I have nothing to prove to you, period. Could I, yes. Will I, no. I already told you... do what the rest of us have done, research, get involved and go to events that have many cars doing before and after dyno's... Get acquainted with industry professionals that have data and research. I'm not going to feed your frivolous demands. The only reason I am linking the post attached is I just came across it this morning... otherwise I'd tell you to stop being lazy and find this kind of stuff yourself.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by LudwigB
If 250-255whp then I guess the mod is worth it. Did you also have the plenum spacer? I would reluctantly put in the spacer since I've read some have had some issues with the spacer. I also plan to install a strut tower bar and having the spacer could present a problem.

But if I could get 250-255, then I definitely will get them.

Appreciate everyone giving your opnions either from a optimistic or pessimistic point of view.
I run 1/2" spacer but no strut bar so I'm not sure about clearance... I think others have said Richies strut bar clears it... 5/16" should be no problem. I'm not sure what you read about problems with the spacer but literally ever G and Z I know (couple dozen) have them and no one has had problems... There are hundreds of threads with good reviews. I'm partial to MotorDyne, Tony is a good guy and makes quality products. He researched the hell out of his product line... I've been at dyno days where he would install uninstall so many plenum mods that he would literally have back aches at the end of the day... he is that dedicated. It's a good choice if you decide to go that route.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:41 PM
By the way, is this Stillen G1 or G2 exhaust sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0kNw...201/8th%20mile

Old 10-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LACR, Irwindale and CA Speedway in Fontana
this thread will give you an idea of "what I'm running":
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174795

As far as "basis for my claims" I have plenty - however as jonnylaw stated I have nothing to prove to you, period. Could I, yes. Will I, no. I already told you... do what the rest of us have done, research, get involved and go to events that have many cars doing before and after dyno's... Get acquainted with industry professionals that have data and research. I'm not going to feed your frivolous demands. The only reason I am linking the post attached is I just came across it this morning... otherwise I'd tell you to stop being lazy and find this kind of stuff yourself.
i think its a stretch to think of my inquires as frivolous and i believe others would agree. i never made a demand, i made a request. i am plenty involved in the nissan community and i go dyno days on a pretty regular basis. again, i think you mistake laziness for simply going to the source and posing a request. i dont get frustrated on the internet but it seems you are getting a little upset. i will just bow out of this thread since my requests for your plethora of knowledge is going unanswered. have a good one.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:02 PM
By the way, is this Stillen G1 or G2 exhaust sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0kNw...201/8th%20mile
it's gen 1...gen 2 is much quieter. The coupe has HKS its loud too. You can definitely tell them apart though.

My exhaust sounds a bit different than the vid since adding HFC – still loud like that but deeper. I didn’t get the Stillen because it is loud – it had the best-proven performance for a sedan when I got it (in late 2004)… Some people don’t like how loud it is and you might read/hear about drone… I eventually got use to it. I have B-Quiet sound deadening matt in the trunk so it helps in cabin noise.

The Gen2 sounds nice… I haven’t researched it much but initially when it first came out it was reported as being slightly less gains… might have changed by now though.

Last edited by OCG35; 10-21-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:08 PM
i think its a stretch to think of my inquires as frivolous and i believe others would agree. i never made a demand, i made a request. i am plenty involved in the nissan community and i go dyno days on a pretty regular basis. again, i think you mistake laziness for simply going to the source and posing a request. i dont get frustrated on the internet but it seems you are getting a little upset. i will just bow out of this thread since my requests for your plethora of knowledge is going unanswered. have a good one.
It would take me as long to find all the data as it would you (I’ve accumulated my facts from months and years of learning different things from knowledgeable people, lots of events and boatloads of research out here – I can’t just whip everything up in one swift post)... and since I don’ t need it but you do, I am suggesting you to look for it - that's all. I'm not upset though.

It's funny how so often a handful of naysayers go on and on about "prove it" but they won’t do the research. I have an idea. How about you (or the couple of others that constantly say mods don't work) prove they don’t work.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, if you read through all the forums (not just G35Driver), including the actual dyno data that has been presented by owners as well as various shops, you get a pretty good idea what to expect from what mods.

Actual results will vary some but there seems to be enough data and similar opinions as to whether a particular mod is worth your money or effort.

If they didn't work, you would certainly hear a lot of sqawking going on, especially when a lot of the retailers advertise on these forums, and for the most part are reputable.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:16 PM
it's gen 1...gen 2 is much quieter. The coupe has HKS its loud too. You can definitely tell them apart though.

My exhaust sounds a bit different than the vid since adding HFC – still loud like that but deeper. I didn’t get the Stillen because it is loud – it had the best-proven performance for a sedan when I got it (in late 2004)… Some people don’t like how loud it is and you might read/hear about drone… I eventually got use to it. I have B-Quiet sound deadening matt in the trunk so it helps in cabin noise.

The Gen2 sounds nice… I haven’t researched it much but initially when it first came out it was reported as being slightly less gains… might have changed by now though.
OCG35,
Thanks for all the info. By the way, who is Tony? I saw his name came up on some of the posts in this forum. Does he have a shop where I can take my car to?
Thanks.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:19 PM
OCG35,
Thanks for all the info. By the way, who is Tony? I saw his name came up on some of the posts in this forum. Does he have a shop where I can take my car to?
Thanks.
He is the owner/Mastermind of Motordyne Engineering, the company that makes plenum mods - primarily spacers.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:20 PM
This thread has some dyno by some of the members here. Haven't read through all so I can't comment:
https://g35driver.com/forums/southern-california/43736-dyno-day-2-19-2005-a.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What hp gain from Stillen G2 exhaust + Ztube + hiflow intake