Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Remote Starts/Neutral safety switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2004 | 12:35 AM
|
Banned
Remote Starts/Neutral safety switch

I'm in the process of planning my remote start installation on my 04 6mt coupe. My last car was also a stick shift and I used magnetic switches to 'sense' when the car was in neutral and I've been looking into a way to acomplish the same thing with our G35s. Tonight I was browsing through my Infiniti factory repair manual and under the Manual Transmission section I found a reference to a Park/Nuetral Position switch. Does anyone know anything about the fuction of this switch? I can't seem to find any other reference to it. It seems like we should be able to use this wire (the manual states that the switch is closed when the tranny is in neutral and open when in any gear) as a neutral safety switch on almost any remote starter.... it would just involve climbing under the car to hook up (well worth it in my oppinion!!!!!!!) If anyone has any idea what this switch is for or where it connects to or even if it does exist please let me know.

Kevin

Old 02-18-2004 | 12:48 AM
|
Banned
Re: Remote Starts/Neutral safety switch

OK, I dug a little more and found that the ECM (pin 102 green/orange wire) uses the Park/Neutral Position switch to know when there is no load on the engine. This wire appears to rest at 12volts at the ECM and goes to ground once the tranny is placed in Neutral. Every remote start I've ever installed (250+, but all DEI or Audiovox) have had a (-) Neutral safety switch input. This signal should provide all 6mt owners with a safe way to install remote starters!

Old 02-18-2004 | 12:51 AM
Cactus Hugging Admin

Great work, man-- that'll help a lot of people out. Keep it up,

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 02-18-2004 | 10:44 AM
|
Banned

OK, cars in the shop now and here is what I found:

If you remove the panel under the passenger side dash you will see the ECM. Unplug the harness from the bottom of the ECM and pull back the wire covering to expose all the wires. There is a green\orange wire in this bundle that only sees ground when the car is in nuetral. This signal CAN be used as a nuetral safety start switch input for remote starters.

Hope this helps some people who want remote starters on their 6mts!!!

Kevin

Old 02-18-2004 | 05:15 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

are you sure this will work?
I was always under the impression that our cars required a "spare" key to be placed near the ignition because of the Vehicle Immobilizer System and the chip inside our keys...

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/350Z-intake

Old 02-18-2004 | 05:27 PM
Administrator

I think that's still required. The mod KPierson is talking about is to prevent accidental starts on a MT car while in gear.

<font color=blue>GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=blue>

Old 02-18-2004 | 05:38 PM
G SQUAD

This is some great info, I've always wanted a remote start but always had a manual. Now I just have to find a alarm installer that wont look at me like im crazy when i tell him that a safety feature is already built in.

Old 02-18-2004 | 05:47 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

Yeah, but what Rambo is saying, how will the car remote start with no chip??

Old 02-18-2004 | 05:49 PM

Nevermind. Guess by placing the spare key near the ignition, there is no problem (other then a small safety concern)

Old 02-18-2004 | 06:06 PM
|
Banned

You will still need to use a universal transponder system bypass (DEI module 555U) to trick the car into thinking the key is in the ignition. To prevent this from being a security issue you can grind down the blade of the key, since the transponder 'chip' is embedded in the top part of the key. As was stated above this will ONLY prevent the car starting while in gear. And, finding an installer who believes this wire exist might be kinda hard, cuz its the first one I've seen in over 5 years of installing remote starts. If I get around to it I'll post the page from the service manual that details this wire, then at least you will have some hard proof!!!

Kevin

Old 02-18-2004 | 06:17 PM

Why not just remove the chip from the key? It slide right out.

Old 02-19-2004 | 12:09 PM

I have had the remote start installed on my coupe 6MT and the installers said that the way you are describing to sense neutral is not a very safe way to prevent the car from starting because it is just a mechanical sensor and could fail.

Instead they recommended an alarm that detects a pattern of events that are set by the driver before leaving the car to ensure that the car is in neutral. This is the best and safest way to remote start a manual transmission car.

The way that it works is that when you park the car you must depress the clutch pedal which will trigger the clutch pedal sensor, then you must pull the emergency brake lever which will trigger the emerg brake sensor and then turn the key off but the car will still be running. As soon as you open the door, if any of the sensors are triggered again, such as hitting the brake pedal or releasing the emerg brake, the remote start will not be engaged, otherwise as soon as you shut the door the engine shuts off and the alarm arms the car and the car will now remote start safely. This is a foolproof way to determine that the car is in neutral because there is no way that you would be able to leave the car while it was running if the car wasn't in neutral first.

I had this alarm/remote start installed in my car last Oct and it has worked flawlessly. There are some drawbacks, such as doing all of these steps to set the car in remote start mode, and then forgetting something in the car and having to go through all of the steps again, but that hasn't happened very often.

Silverstone 6MT Maya DTM 20's

Old 02-19-2004 | 01:24 PM
|
Banned

Yes, it is a mechanical switch and it could fail. The one important thing you should remember, and tell your installer, is that this switch is the same type, and in the same place (right on the tranny) that your reverse switch is. The reverse switch is important because it turns your 'back up' lights on. Have you ever seen a car with reverse lights that don't work because the switch in the tranny went bad?

The bottom line - It is possible for this switch to fail, just very unlikely.

I just want people to know that this option does exist. I've never had a remote start that was designed for a manual transmission, but I have put normal remote starts on manual trannys using various types of switchs/sensors to detect nuetral. The setup in the G35 is far superior then any other type of aftermarket switch/sensor installation.

Kevin

Old 02-19-2004 | 03:50 PM

Thanks KPierson.

when I (eventually) buy and install my Alarm/RS system, I'll definately try out this method.

Twlight blue/Willow 6mt.
It's here

Old 04-08-2004 | 08:12 PM

Any updates on ur remote start install?? did u install it yourself? is it possible?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Remote Starts/Neutral safety switch