Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

replacing Fuel filter....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing Fuel filter....

has anyone done it??? how often do we need to replace it??

Old 04-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Theanimedude
has anyone done it??? how often do we need to replace it??
There is no fuel filter,only a fuel sock in the gas tank.I have had my fuel pump out a few times and the sock has never been dirty.We have what they call a non serviceable fuel filter.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:01 PM
ooh ok. i been feeling like my car is slow recently, i dont know if its my air filter or what!

so my friend suggersted that i either replace the air filter or the fuel filter. NEVER HEARD OF A FUEL FILTER!!

other factors maybe cuz im using safeway gas.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by superchargedg
There is no fuel filter,only a fuel sock in the gas tank.I have had my fuel pump out a few times and the sock has never been dirty.We have what they call a non serviceable fuel filter.
curious how many miles you have on it? my past vq30 had the fuel filter in the same location as the 3.5 and it was caked in sediment at around 60k miles. this was using top tier 93 octane and an occasional bottle of chevron techron fuel system cleaner. maybe every 20k miles.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
correct, the fuel filter is considered an non-serviceable item.

so technically, it is designed to last the lifetime of the car

Old 04-16-2008, 01:11 AM
look at the owners manual, not necessary to service, hey i dont mean to hijack the thread, but i also noticed that the spark plugs are suppose to be changed at 105k miles, are some of you guys changing them before for any reason in particular?

Old 04-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fassster10
look at the owners manual, not necessary to service, ...
^ +1. time and time again i see people post questions that can be answered by a quick read through the owner's manual.

i always have a glance at the manual before taking the G into the dealer for service, and i've saved a lot of money doing that.

a dealer i used to go to tried to tell me that they also change the fuel filter as part of the 48k kms (30k mi) major service. luckily i had read that this was a non-service item. i told the service tech that he was full of it. he protested, but i protested louder (as per usual) and he went to "check with the shop foreman". of course he came back with his tail between his legs.

i then asked him how many people he had charged for the fictitious fuel filter replacement, to which he had no response...

anyways, i concur with the above post that the filter is non-service.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by canucklehead
^ +1. time and time again i see people post questions that can be answered by a quick read through the owner's manual.

i always have a glance at the manual before taking the G into the dealer for service, and i've saved a lot of money doing that.

a dealer i used to go to tried to tell me that they also change the fuel filter as part of the 48k kms (30k mi) major service. luckily i had read that this was a non-service item. i told the service tech that he was full of it. he protested, but i protested louder (as per usual) and he went to "check with the shop foreman". of course he came back with his tail between his legs.

i then asked him how many people he had charged for the fictitious fuel filter replacement, to which he had no response...

anyways, i concur with the above post that the filter is non-service.
it is serviceable. if it wasnt then you would not have access to it. the screen, filter no matter what you call it will gunk up over time no matter the type/tier of gasoline you use. i cannot think of many enthusiasts that go by the 105k spark plug replacement, why would you keep a fuel filter for that long? most fuel filters should be replaced every 36k but most of those are located on the firewall. i agree the dealers should have model specific service items so it does not come up every 36k miles but for around $28 including a new o ring, i will certainly replace mine at around 50k.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:47 PM
^. for one, the dealer was charging a heck of a lot more than $28. try $65 parts plus 0.9 hours @ $120/hr. second, the manual states that the filter is a non-service item. that is what the manufacturer recommends, just like they recommend 91 octane.

of course, if one allows the tank to run completely empty on a regular basis (thus the filter would clog with crud from the bottomof tank) or if dirty gas has been used or if hesitation is observed from other than the likely sources, then it would be an idea to swap out the fuel filter.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:52 PM
^. for one, the dealer was charging a heck of a lot more than $28. try $65 parts plus 0.9 hours @ $120/hr. second, the manual states that the filter is a non-service item. that is what the manufacturer recommends, just like they recommend 91 octane.

of course, if one allows the tank to run completely empty on a regular basis (thus the filter would clog with crud from the bottomof tank) or if dirty gas has been used or if hesitation is observed from other than the likely sources, then it would be an idea to swap out the fuel filter.
like i said, i am just going on my past experiences. i typically fill up just below a 1/4 tank, never fill up with the tanker is there and always used top tier gas. the past ff was not clogged but there was plenty of sediment that could only hinder. i certainly would not pay the dealer for any service except (out of the warranty realm) an alignment which i use nissan dealers for.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:04 PM
yea i got about 65,000 on my car

i do most of my oil changes. i guess i should use some techron stuff to put into my gas tank.

next oil change i'll be putting in some oil additives. I hope this helps. I checked my oil and it still seems good.

question: for the fuel filter, if its a non-serviceable part then how does it get cleaned?? by the cleaning additives in the gas??

Old 04-16-2008, 01:25 PM
^. if the filter was to get cleaned, it would be by replacing parts or manually cleaning out any screens. cleaning additives would not do this - they are used to clean the injectors, valves etc...

Old 04-16-2008, 03:26 PM
^. if the filter was to get cleaned, it would be by replacing parts or manually cleaning out any screens. cleaning additives would not do this - they are used to clean the injectors, valves etc...

then how is it a non-serviceable part? am i missing somethign here? if it gets dirty, wouldnt u have to clean it?

Old 04-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by sloppymax
curious how many miles you have on it? my past vq30 had the fuel filter in the same location as the 3.5 and it was caked in sediment at around 60k miles. this was using top tier 93 octane and an occasional bottle of chevron techron fuel system cleaner. maybe every 20k miles.
Ive got 53000 miles and the last time i pulled the fuel pump was about 500 miles ago and it was still clean.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fassster10
look at the owners manual, not necessary to service, hey i dont mean to hijack the thread, but i also noticed that the spark plugs are suppose to be changed at 105k miles, are some of you guys changing them before for any reason in particular?
I was told by a reputable shop in Baldwin Park, CA that Socal people go to, that by 50k miles our stock plugs are usually toast; that's taking into consideration some mild to aggressive daily driving. So, I changed mine to Iridiums. Car's been pretty happy since!

Ok, back onto the topic...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: replacing Fuel filter....