Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Engine Knocking noise, guess what dealer said

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Knocking noise, guess what dealer said

Ok, so I took my '04 coupe into dealer for unusual noise check up I am having since 2006. I thought it was usual engine noise, but I decided to take it in for check up. Well they call me back and said, they have to hold my car for 3 days to findout what is exactly going on with the noise, but from brief inspection by their so called "engineer team" (give me a break), it is relate to bearing. Ok, so its bearing and I assume it is covered by extended warranty. But, this guy trying to pull fast one on me, explaining I may have to pay for this issue b/c I did not use Infiniti oil change service and this bearing may have been damaged by leaking oil due to inferior oil filter. What the F*&^?
Im not a smartest auto expert in CA, but I know damn well this damage is not caused by using different oil change service. I have been using synthetic blend Castro 10W30W for past 2 years with FRAM oil filter and this oil filter is not inferior than what Infiniti uses. I called FRAM and they told me to get that in writing so they can argue the dealer's point.

Has anyone had this issue before?

Old 06-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If Infiniti won't replace it and it is the fault of the shop that did the oil change, you have full recourse to have the oil shop replace the engine.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:51 PM
I think that guy is trying to hussle me to do fluid changes through his dealer. He was general sevice manager. I do my oil change from Walmart and they always check oil leaks or any other issue with the oil services. They even print out inspection report for me to review and every now and then, about half quart of oil was low. Besides, I had this problem while a back when I was doing oil change from infiniti dealer. At that time, they stated as "cannot duplicate the issue".

Old 06-10-2008, 04:58 PM
if it is really a bearing, you would already be having problems, BIG problems, tell them to fix it unless they can prove to you exactly why the damage is caused by "inferior oil" if they still give you problems take it to another dealer, and notify the people who regularly change your oil, definately document everything.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Noted your comments. I definitely keeping all records now. Luckely, I have about 50% of my oil change receipt with me. If that is not enough, I will go and ask Walmart to print out my history I guess...

Old 06-10-2008, 06:28 PM
tell him to put it in writing that the filters they use are the best in the market. and also please list all the filters and oils that are not acceptable. and then tell him you will get this to your lawyers or consumer group. so you can sue infiniti and own the dealership. then you can give all of us free oil changes..

Old 06-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a problem in my engine before coz it was leaking everytime I start my engine from a cold start. I brought my car to a bodyshop near at my place and everytime I change my oil/oil filter I always buy it from the dealer(i have 03 so no warranty anymore). So I ask the guy whose checking my car he told me that next time I change my oil try to use Mobile one oil filter bcoz NISSAN/Infinity Oilfilter is also a Fram oil filter. I'm not really sure about his comment, but when i was surfing around in this forum I remember seing one thread that say Nissan Oilfilter is also a Fram filter. So I don't know if you really have to pay or it should be cover for your extende warranty..

Old 06-10-2008, 07:27 PM
try another dealership, if nothing happens threaten to sue, something will happen, and if it doesnt then u should definately follow up and sue....they just dont want to replace the engine so they are giving you a hard time. there is no reason using another oil besides infiniti oil, or whatever they use should damage the engine.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Oem oil filters suck as much as fram's... Im not a fan of mobil 1 either but its better than frams...

Old 06-11-2008, 01:35 PM
OK, updates guys! The dealer called me this morning and they told me to fax them over my oil change history, lucky me, I have 6 copies of most recent oil changes incluiding 1 from back in 2006 where I did my service from Costa Mesa dealer. I even fax them over "fram" oil filter specs, b/c they were telling me that fram doesn't have right spec filter for G35. I found out that fram makes specific filter for G35 and walmart never use alterniave option. Anyhow, they inform me that they are gonna fax these receipt to Infiniti and try to get the part replace. Will see how it goes.....

Old 06-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm glad you'll get everything covered, but FRAM filters suck...

Old 06-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Fram filters do suck.

The oem ones are pretty good. Mobil1, K&N, Napa, Amsoil, etc are the way to go.

As for your problem, I would be shocked if the dealer does not fix it. They are trying to get you to give in.

But let this be a lesson to everyone. If you are taking your car into the dealer for motor related work you should make sure and have an oem filter on the car.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:31 PM
I thought Infiniti uses (have contract) FRAM filter as OEM?
That is what few peoplescalling out in seperate threads and above.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Remember your warranty is with Nissan, The dealer just does what Nissan says [what they agree to pay for].
The point is the dealer is usually happy to get Nissan Warrranty work but you have an obligation to get Nissan to agree.

Don't **** the dealer off, work together to get Nissan's money!