Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

surge performance chip?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35-Mike
^^^ that's what I suspected... thanks for checking.

Jeff - it should go without saying... but the reference is to normal use - with ECU reading the signal.

People have had problems and others have learned for their problem experience and advise not to cut them. It really is that simple - and your & linche haven't done a thing to make anyone with reasonable sense confident enough to cut their MAF wires (to the stock ECU).

Having that been said - I'm also referring to cutting at the sensor end - not the ECU end (for whatever thats worth) - but I stated that already earlier in this thread.
There is no difference which end you cut. Its the same wire.

People that have cut the wires and had problems did 1 of 3 things:
1) they cut the wires while batter was still connected OR ecu still had a small charge (should depress brake pedal a few times to release charge)
2) they didnt make a proper connection with the wires when putting back together.
3) they routed the wires across a location where they are getting interference from other wires.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by InShAllAh
^WOW .... he's still going...
^^^ Jeff is the one that was "still going"... I already posted what would have been my last say on it... but Jeff had to continue... so I had to clarify.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
There is no difference which end you cut. Its the same wire.

People that have cut the wires and had problems did 1 of 3 things:
1) they cut the wires while batter was still connected OR ecu still had a small charge (should depress brake pedal a few times to release charge)
2) they didnt make a proper connection with the wires when putting back together.
3) they routed the wires across a location where they are getting interference from other wires.
'I dont know what they did - but I know I've never seen it done sucessfully.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
you have now. I did it successfully.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:45 PM
to an aftermarket EMS...

Old 01-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having that been said - I'm also referring to cutting at the sensor end - not the ECU end (for whatever thats worth) - but I stated that already earlier in this thread.
As was stated, it makes no difference. A wire is simply a conduit to move electrons from one potential to another. The mechanical analogy is a pipe carrying water. No matter where you cut or break the paper, you are interrupting the water flow.

As I said and proved before using the actual specifications from the MAF sensor and ECU, you can add 100 feet of wire to the MAF sensor and it won't make any difference.

However, as I said before, and as Tollboothwiley restated, its not the cutting of the wires thats the problem, but most likely where you are rerouting the wires. Just like if you route your HIGH IMPEDANCE audio signal wires next a noise source and pick up engine whine or other noise, if you route your HIGH IMPEDANCE sensor wires near a noise source, it will pick up similar noise.

So if you are smart about it, disconnect the battery, properly reconnect the wires, and ENSURE you don't reroute the wires past noise sources such as the alternator, spark gap coils, electric fans, etc... you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever.

If you want to verify this, do the following:

Take a 9V battery, connect about 10 feet of wire to it and have it terminate into a 100k resistor. Using an oscilloscope measure the 9V across the 100k resistor. AC couple the scope. You should have a relatively flat clean signal of 0V. Now start routing that wire past the alternator or other noise sources. You'll start seeing considerable noise on the scope. The same will happen with the sensor wires if routed incorrectly.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
What difference does it make WHERE the cut is?? It's the same wire. I'd like to see a technical explaination as to why it makes a difference where along the wire a cut is made.

And yes, you have to cut any ecu wire that you want the aftermarket ecu to alter. ie.. maf, injector etc... If you only want to monitor a sensor you only tap.

Mike, just admit it for god's sake. You're 100% wrong. Just can't get over that can you?

Old 01-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
What difference does it make WHERE the cut is?? It's the same wire. I'd like to see a technical explaination as to why it makes a difference where along the wire a cut is made.

And yes, you have to cut any ecu wire that you want the aftermarket ecu to alter. ie.. maf, injector etc... If you only want to monitor a sensor you only tap.

Mike, just admit it for god's sake. You're 100% wrong. Just can't get over that can you?
Let’s refresh:

*A guy that endorses this “chip” said “cut 2 MAF wires” – someone posts that he can’t be serious and I respond by stating “especially the "cutting two MAF sensor wires"

*the above sparked a huge amount of controversy from two ppl

*I indicated that many, many people that have done wire tucks or have had them done say cutting the MAF sensor wires is not a good idea (I know of a dozen or more and posted no less than 8)

*I stated that several people have had problems after cutting MAF sensor wires (and know of no less than 3, two of which had to get a whole new wire harness, the other had a show car that never ran right after his snafu)

*I stated that I have not seen from a reliable source a MAF wire having been cut (and had to clarify using stock ECU since after market EMS ended up in the mix for some reason).

I’ve reiterated the above over and over… nothing more… So Jeff – tell me what part of this summary is not accurate.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Red Card Crew

Alot of this is inaccuate or isn't revelant. Just face it, you're flat out wrong. Your statements of people having problems are NOT concrete proof that cutting the maf wire is detrimental as long as you hook it back up right.

NOW you are saying because an aftermarket emu is used, that SOMEHOW changes the parameters of the discussion????? WRONG. If you didn't know, the STOCK ECU is still used. The stock maf wire is still cut and whatever ecu/emu is used to either monitor or control, it still needs to see the same stable 0-5/1.1-5v signal as before. Because it's designed around the g35 stock maf signal.

Mike, you must be limber as hell because you're reaching for the moon here. LOL. It is entertaining though.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Jeff, take a look at the summary and point out exactly what part is inaccurate. Please quote and makes notes if necessary...

Old 01-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by OCG35
'I dont know what they did - but I know I've never seen it done sucessfully.
Let's review. Does the aftermarket ems make any difference? Nope. Was the maf wire cut? yes. Is Toll's car running correctly? Sure looks like it.

Now what technical difference does it make if he is using a piggy back emu also? Let's try to keep to the revelant TECHNICALLY SOUND discussion here and not get off the reservation that you are soooo wanting to divert to.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:17 PM
I summarized everything I've said in this thread... is there a reason you cant point out which part is inaccurate?

Let me guess - because it's 100% correct.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Red Card Crew

Last sentence is 100% inaccurate. Unless you are calling Toll unreliable. Unless you are calling UTEC's manual unreliable. Unless you are calling JWT maf cut/splice on reliable. Unless you are calling liche that has an advance electronics degree/background unreliable. LOL!

Not that your statements even address the assertations that you had in this thread. Again off the reservation in order to weasel your way out of admitting your conclusions about cutting the maf wire is wrong. LOL

Old 01-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Last sentence is 100% inaccurate. Unless you are calling Toll unreliable. Unless you are calling UTEC's manual unreliable. Unless you are calling JWT maf cut/splice on reliable. Unless you are calling liche that has an advance electronics degree/background unreliable. LOL!

Not that your statements even address the assertations that you had in this thread. Again off the reservation in order to weasel your way out of admitting your conclusions about cutting the maf wire is wrong. LOL
this is the last sentence
*I stated that I have not seen from a reliable source a MAF wire having been cut (and had to clarify using stock ECU since after market EMS ended up in the mix for some reason).

and it's 100% accurate. I'd love for you to show me what I've been asking for for days...

Old 01-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Red Card Crew

Ah no. Your original inquiry did NOT have EMS mentioned. Toll cut his wire and verified. The use of another EMS has NO BEARING whatsoever to the technical question in question here.

I'd love if you actually addressed anything in technical clarity. THAT would have the benefit of actually not being mentioned by you.

Jeff will ask again WHY the addition of the emanage matters but knows it will be ignored even though it's at the CORE of Mike's assertion. But Jeff appreciates that fact that Mike is now OFF the ridiculous statement that the wire had to be cut at/near the sensor LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: surge performance chip?