Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Custom 3.5" (90mm) CAI in the works

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MixturePinoy
your throttle body is still the same size though, you are going to see minuscule gains if any. Not just that, but you would also have to upgrade your internals, ecu, injectors, etc. for the extra air it is recieving. this mod is a FAIL
Though I do think this is a COMPLETE waste of time and money, but you don't need anything that you said you need. With boost, you don't need to upgrade your internals, or injectors with some kits. I'm at 7psi on my TT setup with stock injectors. Stock internals. The only thing he might have to do is get a reflash to take advantage of anything he is doing.

Other than that, he'll be fine. But he is not going to see any gains a popcharger and z-tube wouldn't give. Which is basically nothing.

I'm sorry OP, but no point in really doing this. But, do what you want. Post the results you get.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Canadian
I'm at 7psi on my TT setup with stock injectors. Stock internals. The only thing he might have to do is get a reflash to take advantage of anything he is doing.
You run TT @ 7 psi on stock block on stock injectors? No fuel return system/upgraded fuel pump/fmu?

Mind sharing your numbers and the cycle duty of your injectors? I'm surprised your stock setup is providing you with enough fuel.

I'm not trying to be d*ck or a doubter, I am genuinely interested.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:21 AM
Canada, eh?

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
You run TT @ 7 psi on stock block on stock injectors? No fuel return system/upgraded fuel pump/fmu?

Mind sharing your numbers and the cycle duty of your injectors? I'm surprised your stock setup is providing you with enough fuel.

I'm not trying to be d*ck or a doubter, I am genuinely interested.
Yep, TT on 7psi making 355whp on a CONSERVATIVE tune. 23k boosted miles, 1 track day, 5+ autocrosses. Daily drive, hit boost almost everytime I drive.

I have the upgraded fuel pump the JWT kit comes with and an FMU. No fuel return system, and won't be getting one. I'll stick with an FMU when my built motor comes too. I have no idea about the cycle duty, don't know how to check that. The stock JWT is known to be able to work fine without any new injectors. Most JWT kits are done on stock injectors. If I were to turn up the boost and make more power, yes I'd new new injectors.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Canadian
Yep, TT on 7psi making 355whp on a CONSERVATIVE tune. 23k boosted miles, 1 track day, 5+ autocrosses. Daily drive, hit boost almost everytime I drive.

I have the upgraded fuel pump the JWT kit comes with and an FMU. No fuel return system, and won't be getting one. I'll stick with an FMU when my built motor comes too. I have no idea about the cycle duty, don't know how to check that. The stock JWT is known to be able to work fine without any new injectors. Most JWT kits are done on stock injectors. If I were to turn up the boost and make more power, yes I'd new new injectors.
understood, thanks for sharing. Sounds like you've got a great setup (good power, proven reliability), and the capability to do more when you are ready

Old 11-26-2008, 02:31 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by _jb
Great job designing and machining that adapter plate.

I don't understand what you're trying to do with it though. If you decided not to use the larger MAF housing, why do you need an adapter?
The adapter was for the MAF housing I had which I wont be using anymore so no adapter will be made. This is an example of what adapter I needed in 3.5". http://www.cattman.com/img/prod/dsc_...%20adapter.jpg - that one is 3"

The flange will weld to the 3.5" aluminum piping I have and the MAF sensor will be directly in the pipe.

There will be gains even if the TB is 3". There will be more gains once the turbo will force air through 3.5" piping and into the 3" throttle body.

Injected Performance ran the 1/4 in 8 sec with 3.5" piping an a stock TB.

Actually I talked with Hal from IP and he said they are running a 5" MAF pipe and it goes down into a stock TB

Last edited by Andrei; 11-26-2008 at 03:38 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:37 AM
Originally Posted by MixturePinoy
your throttle body is still the same size though, you are going to see minuscule gains if any. Not just that, but you would also have to upgrade your internals, ecu, injectors, etc. for the extra air it is recieving. this mod is a FAIL
Thank you for your input.

Extra air when a car is NA never hurts anything. It will run lean for a while before the ECU can adapt with the intake.

Extra air when a car is FI hurts everything without SOME of the things you listed.

There are plenty of people running custom intakes like the one I'm making with good gains. Especially F bodies.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Canada, eh?

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
understood, thanks for sharing. Sounds like you've got a great setup (good power, proven reliability), and the capability to do more when you are ready
No problem, and thanks

Sorry to put the thread OT

Old 11-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrei
I dumped the MAF housing and went to a MAF flange for the sensor. Much more simple.

Did you get that from SFR? That's where I got mine.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by ttrank
Yup. $45 shipped. An aluminum plate to make a couple of those is $55 shipped.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:37 PM
_jb
Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ttrank
SFR = Speed Force Racing? I looked through their site, but didn't find any adapter brackets to match your pictures. They also don't seem to have a search tool.

I did find a nice 3 inch intake tube at SFR's site... with the adapter already welded in... would be nice for people wanting to increase the intake size a bit over stock.

I'm looking for a larger intake tube for my NA G, but was thinking that the plenum inlet and throttle body would both have to be the bored to the same diameter to do any good. From your (and Hal's) data, it looks like that may not be the case.

Interesting thread...

Old 12-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Today the fittings shipped that weld to the piping for the breather hose on the stock intake that goes into the plenum.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:40 PM
There is some hate on this thread. Some doubters for sure. I say, even if it doesn't perform better than the z-tube and pop charger, It will look great!

Do you weld aluminum?

And does the aftermarket make a larger bore throttle body? Maybe that should be your next project! Custom throttle body FTW!

Good luck!

Old 12-03-2008, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by MyocyteX
There is some hate on this thread.
Isn't there in any thread I start?
I say, even if it doesn't perform better than the z-tube and pop charger, It will look great!
That depends entirely on how the pipes are routed. It will most likely be in front of the grill.
Do you weld aluminum?
Not yet but I will. I'm waiting on the spool gun.

And does the aftermarket make a larger bore throttle body? Maybe that should be your next project! Custom throttle body FTW!
There is the TB from the VQ40 that might work and it's 3.25" but then I wouldn't be able to the use the AAM 3" TB spacer for my turbo.

Good luck!
Thank you.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Switched from black couplers to red since I need some color in my life. Right now I'm still waiting on the spool gun so I can get started.

Vacuum caps

Old 12-15-2008, 09:48 PM
More more more. :-)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Custom 3.5" (90mm) CAI in the works