Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

SES Light?? rough idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SES Light?? rough idle and burning gas fast.

Hey Guys,

My car has been acting funny. I had the SES light on and i had the codes read and there were 3. P1273/p1283, so obviously those are the o2 sensors, and than I had another code, which i dont remember too much but i think it was p0172 and when i looked it up it said system too rich bank 1. which I have no clue what means, my boy said it could be spark plugs, he said bank he think is the left side i think.
I also spoke to Dave at Funtioned Tuned he said I should clean the MAF and pop-charger. I did that and cleared the codes and than about after a 100 or so miles the codes came back but this time it was only the p1273/83 codes.

Also my car at cold startups the idle is rough and it will go up and down for a little bit before it finally settles and also say i come to a stop pretty quick or maybe i dont downshift all the way to 2nd, the idle will drop almost all the way to the point where the car will hesitate like its about to shut off.
And than also my car seems to be burning gas like a *****...I noticed it the last few times I filled up. I just filled up last night in my car and I have only put 40miles on it and I burned a 1/4 tank of gas...is that even possible? after only 40miles I am down to 3/4 of a tank of gas. Would all this burning of gas be due to my car running rich.
I am gonna replace my spark plugs this weekend and see if that helps. Do you guys have any suggestions on what the problem could be?

Also the spark plugs are the NGK Platinums right?

Last edited by DrewQ1; 12-05-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Read between the lines

You already know your problem...O2 sensors, or OXYGEN sensors read the level of OXYGEN in your exhaust fumes. They send this info to your cars computer and it adjusts the fuel/air mixture accordingly to optimize performance and fuel efficiency. When O2 sensors go bad....poor fuel economy, rough idle, and a lean/rich situation is likely to occur. The longer you drive your car in this condition, the more likely the repair bill will get higher. A rich condition can and will foul your spark plugs and clog your catalytic converter. A lean condition can cause your plugs to not only foul but burn very hot and poissible damage internal engine components.

My suggestion, replace the oxygen sensors...they are only supposed to last 50-60k miles anyway.