Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Forged bottom end---help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Forged bottom end---help please

I am procharging my car and thinking I will just go big now rather than wait. I am looking at a set of Wiseco Pistons and Eagle rods for the bottom end. Will this be enough for the bottom end build, or should I be doing a new crank as well? I will be doing the FI 8.8-1 compression ratio and will have the block machined before reassembly to make sure everything is good. I may just have the crank balanced to make sure it is good to go. Would you reccommend anything else aftermarket in the bottom end? Im going to do a new bearing set while im in there(obviously) Any and all opinions are appreciated.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
rods, pistons, bearings, hone/bore block, balance crank with rods n pistons, revup oil pump. no need to deck the block if it doesnt need it.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
If you don't already have the procharger, I would look into turbo kits. With a built block and a procharger you will struggle and likely won't even make 450whp with a turbo kit you will easily do 550whp.

If building the bottom end, I would also get ARP fasteners through out as well as ARP L19 head studs. Every engine builder on the planet will tell you to get the entire rotating assembly balanced. Also if you go with a procharger I would go with higher compression to help make power like 9:1 or even 9.5:1. The 8.8:1 is over kill for the low boost/ low horse power of a procharger.

If you are dead set on a procharger I would leave the engine as is with a Proper tune the engine should be fine for supercharged applications in the 400whp range

To get an engine built right you will be looking at around $5-7,000 with parts, gaskets, machining and assembly.

I am not trying to discourage you but I think you should do some more research my350z.com forced induction section is a better place for info as lots of guys over there have forced induction compared to a few over here.

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 04-13-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:54 AM
The way I was looking at it, pistons and rods will run me 850(found them on the cheap) and then for the arp bolts and fasteners it was around another 200. Then I have the machine work and head gasket/manifold gaskets etc. Parts shouldnt be that much for the build. The procharger unit is capable of 750 hp with the right pulleys and reinforcing the bracket.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by Sylvan lake V35
If you don't already have the procharger, I would look into turbo kits. With a built block and a procharger you will struggle and likely won't even make 450whp with a turbo kit you will easily do 550whp.

If building the bottom end, I would also get ARP fasteners through out as well as ARP L19 head studs. Every engine builder on the planet will tell you to get the entire rotating assembly balanced. Also if you go with a procharger I would go with higher compression to help make power like 9:1 or even 9.5:1. The 8.8:1 is over kill for the low boost/ low horse power of a procharger.

If you are dead set on a procharger I would leave the engine as is with a Proper tune the engine should be fine for supercharged applications in the 400whp range

To get an engine built right you will be looking at around $5-7,000 with parts, gaskets, machining and assembly.

I am not trying to discourage you but I think you should do some more research my350z.com forced induction section is a better place for info as lots of guys over there have forced induction compared to a few over here.

also was just looking at your sig.....what did you have done to make so much power stock? Was that a completely stock bottom end?

Old 04-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Glad you are gonna go all out bro and do it right the first time. There will always be a debate over what type of power can be gained from turbo/supercharger setups but you are your own person. With your parts listed you should be all set.

As far as the stock block bsupporting 400hp it is a little risky. As I will tell anyone once you go FI no matter how little or how much boost you are running you have just fast fowarded the lifespan of your motor. Good luck on the build and keep us posted. I want to see this beast once it's all ready to go.
Originally Posted by biggerandbetter
I am procharging my car and thinking I will just go big now rather than wait.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:00 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
The way I was looking at it, pistons and rods will run me 850(found them on the cheap) and then for the arp bolts and fasteners it was around another 200. Then I have the machine work and head gasket/manifold gaskets etc. Parts shouldnt be that much for the build. The procharger unit is capable of 750 hp with the right pulleys and reinforcing the bracket.

I have never even heard of any super charger making over 500whp on a G35. We are not talking about Mustangs or vette, G35 and 350Z do not make any where near 750hp with any sort of supercharger. Not trying to be a dick but that is the truth I have seen lots of guys convert to turbos after disappointment with the lack of power supercharger systems make for these cars. They are great on stock blocks but may cause you to be disappointed with a built engine unless you are happy with a built engine and 400-450whp?? I am not against superchargers I have had cars I supercharged, I was going to supercharge my G but after tons of research I found turbos were the way to go for me?? May not be the same for you??

***edit i see you are over on my350Z and those guys all seem to agree that 400-450whp is about as good as it gets with a procharger*****

$850 for rods/pistons (that is a great deal)
$200 for ARP fasteners
$500 for L19 head studs
$200 for head gaskets
$200 for other gaskets
$1000 for machine work
$500 bearings (main, rod,thrust)
$1000 assembly (by an accredited builder)
$200 rev up oil pump
then head work?
$1200 cams
$200 for springs

Those are off the top of my head may be low and may be missing a few things? but a built long block from a reputable shop will be $5,000-7000, you could get a back yard shop to throw it together or build it yourself for cheaper but a legit shop using legit parts is in the neighbor hood of $5,000-7,000 for a long block.

GTM basic long block with stock cams and springs $5,800
http://www.gtmotorsports.com/product...cat=473&page=1

Forged only shows a short block and they are $3500

http://www.forgedperformance.com/sto...at=1837&page=1

IPP has the most affordable at $4,400 with no core and by the time you got L19s and a few other upgrades you are $+5,000

http://www.importpartspro.com/st1vqloblni3.html

I am not here to argue with you about things just help you realize what kind of cost is involved and power to expect before shelling out a bunch of cash.

also was just looking at your sig.....what did you have done to make so much power stock? Was that a completely stock bottom end?
My engine is 100% stock, stock bottom end, stock cams, stock head gaskets 100% stock I drove it for a summer that way with several kills under my belt so it was driven and i plan to drive it with the stock engine again this year i have a 3.8L just waiting to be assembled but i lost motivation and the car is fast as it is if the stock engine explodes then maybe i will get after the 3.8L again.

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 04-14-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Sylvan - how much driving has been done at that much power? I've heard of a few guys push it but you def has the highest numbers I've seen from a stock block. most that are over 500 don't keep the motor too long.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
for the bottom end all you need to do is the rods and pistons and get it all balanced the stock crank is quite strong. for a supercharger they dont produce a ton of power with the stock kits but the power does come on quick. if you upgrade the pulleys you WILL run into belt slipping issues and theres little tricks to correct it but only up to a certain point. you should be able to hit 500 with some extra work and a loving dyno but if you want to produce more than that it is easier to go with turbo.

if all your looking for is around 500 then do the rods and pistons the vq has 4 bolt mains so the studs arent really needed but head studs are for anything over 10 lbs they tend to stretch. balance everything and get the machine shop to do somelight porting and clean up the casting marks in the head and just smoothe it out a bit a gasket kit can be got bought from nissan for about 300 that covers everything for the whole motor and alot of guys use the stock head gaskets i have heard the aftermarket ones actually aren't as good for the vq btu i dont know. while you are in there it would be wise to replace all the timing chains and their components like guides n tensioners.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sylvan, you have obviously done your research. I agree with you on the cost issue. I've looked into getting a forged bottom end and it's definitely cheaper to get a forged short block. I have a couple questions for you though. How the H E double hockey sticks are you making so much power on a stock bottom end without grenading the thing? Unless you're all CIA about your mods, I'd love to know. I'm guessing some nice upper mods, some 1000cc injectors and a ridiculous fuel pump
The other question is, when you refer to the limits of the ProCharger, are you referring specifically to the G35 specific kits? I only ask because ProCharger make units that generate up to 45lbs of boost which can be mated to a G with some mods. Even their more basic units go to 24-30 lbs which would surely generate in the 550-600hp range.
Very interested in your opinion.