Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Electronic Beep Instead of Horn Beep

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 08:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G spot
I just bought my 03 G and it is annoying that it doesn't make a noise when I arm it. According to the thread, it appears I am able to turn on the horn so it makes noise when I lock the doors w/ the keyfab.... Can anyone tell me how to do this?
If I remember right, you press both the lock and unlock buttons at the same time. This will either turn the lovely sounding horn on or off depending where it was set originally.

2005 Owners, I ask again, is the horn still used when locking/unlocking the car remotely or has Infiniti implemented a different, more sport/luxury rather than cheap-Chevy sound?

Old 05-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Kevin,
can you also look into geting the parking lights to flash when you disarm the alarm? Having the beep and lights for both arm and disarm would be perfect.

Old 05-21-2005, 07:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05's still use the horn as lock confirmation...

Old 05-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by woshiagni
05's still use the horn as lock confirmation...
Hopefully Infiniti will improve this for 2006.

Old 05-21-2005, 12:07 PM
WRAH
Originally Posted by fotodad
Hopefully Infiniti will improve this for 2006.
pipedreams

Old 05-23-2005, 02:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
you can change the settings for beeping/flashing when locking the doors.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi...am_key_fob.htm

Old 05-26-2005, 08:51 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I ordered some new waterproof piezos last night. They have somewhat of a harsh, 110db tone at 12vdc. I'm going to try them at lower voltages and see if I can get them down to about 90 db and a 'soft' beep. The piezos I ordered are typically used INSIDE of vehicles to cause discomfort to anyone who may be in the car when they are going off!

Old 04-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by KPierson
I've been thinking about this a little more, and one other side effect would be you would lose your panic button basically. The panic would do no good if it was just flashing lights and a little 'cute' beep, beep.
I never use my panic though....
Kevin
Nothing like exhuming a dead thread…
I have an idea that may work. It requires an OEM Toyota beeper.
The settings of the G will be at 1 honk arm, 0 honk disarm
Create a relay system that will allow the horn output to go to the beeper when the ignition is off and the horn when the car is moving, via a motion switch. If the switch is activated by motion, it will maintain “ignition status” for a few minutes, this will allow for honking the horn while driving.
A second relay could energize the horn if more than 2 “beeps” happened per unit time, regardless of ignition status. This will allow for panic button/alarm function.
I bet these people make the necessary switch…
http://www.aerodyne-controls.com/mer...n_switches.htm

Old 04-24-2006, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by STEVE-O
Nothing like exhuming a dead thread…
I have an idea that may work. It requires an OEM Toyota beeper.
The settings of the G will be at 1 honk arm, 0 honk disarm
Create a relay system that will allow the horn output to go to the beeper when the ignition is off and the horn when the car is moving, via a motion switch. If the switch is activated by motion, it will maintain “ignition status” for a few minutes, this will allow for honking the horn while driving.
A second relay could energize the horn if more than 2 “beeps” happened per unit time, regardless of ignition status. This will allow for panic button/alarm function.
I bet these people make the necessary switch…
http://www.aerodyne-controls.com/mer...n_switches.htm
Do it up and post the DIY. I will then bow down to your EE'ness.

Old 04-24-2006, 02:20 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can find a Toyota OEM beeper for a descent price let me know. I have the rest of the module done, and it works much better then using a 'motion switch,' which wouldn't be a very good solution.

Say you have a motion switch with a 30 second timer on it, and you are at a red light for 45 seconds. The light turns green, and the guy in front of you doesn't go. You go to honk the horn but all you get is an electronic beep that he most likely won't hear.

So, to fix that, you bump your timer up to 60 seconds. But, now, if you park, shut the car off, and arm the alarm all within 60 seconds you will get a horn honk, and not the electronic beep.

The module I designed works off of lock pulses, and would require you to disable OEM horn honking on both lock and unlock (can be done through the remote). I was just never able to source a suitable beeper to be used under the hood!

Old 04-24-2006, 03:08 PM
So, to fix that, you bump your timer up to 60 seconds. But, now, if you park, shut the car off, and arm the alarm all within 60 seconds you will get a horn honk, and not the electronic beep.
Good point.

Some girl in my building has a Lexus truck. Her beep sounds nice. People with 4Runners don’t like their beep, according to http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showth...ighlight=piezo

What model cars have nice sounding beeps? I never notice these things, except for my neighbor’s because we’re in an enclosed parking garage.

Last edited by STEVE-O; 04-24-2006 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:58 PM
The Acuras have a nice beep to them. I'm sure if you call a service dept and ask them, you can get one or at least the part number.

I'll give it a try this week, cuz this is another one of those nice features that SHOULD have come with all Infinitis.

Old 04-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
If you can find a Toyota OEM beeper for a descent price let me know. I have the rest of the module done, and it works much better then using a 'motion switch,' which wouldn't be a very good solution.

ooo so once you get a beeper you like, then the module will be for sale?

Old 04-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Ok. After digging around, this is what I found on clubrsx.

The part number is 72695-SZ3-003. You can find it here. Just search by the part number. It's $38 new.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214055

The thread I ran into brought up some interesting issues and potential obstacles, but if it works I am SOOOO down with doing this mod. Here's the thread. http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...x+alarm+beeper

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Electronic Beep Instead of Horn Beep