Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

How do you modify a stock air box?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you modify a stock air box?

I just bought a K&N filter and will be installing it one the shipment comes in. I read in couple other threads about people modifying their stock air box for better air flow. How do you go about doing this? What modifications are needed?
Thanks.

-Pete-

Old 08-17-2004, 12:27 PM
Re: How do you modify a stock air box?

Dont do it. Its silly to expect anything from this. The stock box is already totally open and has a cold air collector ducted to it for good measure. What more could you want? The K/N is fine, but just leave the box alone, trust me on this.

Old 08-17-2004, 12:44 PM

do a search...it will show...it's easy...I think it will work too....

Nothing Turns You On More Than The "hotGspot"

Old 08-17-2004, 12:47 PM

Yes when you remove the resonator/water catch from below the box it makes it sound better and certainly can't do any damage to your airflow. It wont hurt it so doing it will only be a positive experince - trust me on this

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 08-17-2004, 01:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

'"Trust me" " it won't hurt it"are you warrantying that you will pay for any damages that result, will you replace the engine if destroyed by water injestion.

"Trust me on this" is a strong promise that you may not want to legally keep in the future.

To the best of my knowledge is a safer way to relate to someone.

Old 08-17-2004, 02:51 PM

I prefer... "I don't know a damn thing and I can prove it!". Hey, it works for me...

<font color=blue>The above statements are only my take on the issue. If you disagree with anything I typed then you are 100% right!</font color=blue>

Old 08-17-2004, 02:53 PM

Hey Q - As soon as I see a puddle that comes up to my headlights - ya know where the box bottom is and the hole where I ripped off the canister below it - I'll be sure not to go through it since I might hydrolock.

That is of course if the SWIMMING doesn't distract me!

Trust me

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 08-17-2004, 03:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, it may affect the pressurization of the box. when you close the hood, it kinda seals up with the rubber part of the box. if you do the mod, it opens the box up more, and could affect somethign negatively.

the only thing i plan to do is chop off the resonators and seal em up...havent figured out the best way to do it yet, but im gonan do it soon!

G35s6mt/TSecu/350Z Springs&Struts/K&Nfilter+Z-tube/StillenDualExhaust /6WireGroundKit/KinetixHighFlow

Old 08-17-2004, 03:34 PM

Pete,

If you haven't already done so, you may want to consider just replacing your stock air intake with the (350)Z tube ($75.00 from EverythingG35.com or PerformanceNissanParts.com), put in the K&N drop-in air filter in your stock airbox and leaving the rest alone. That's what many people do (myself included) and you don't risk messing anything up this way. The Z tube/K&N (in the stock airbox) combo will give you much better air flow, power, and sound (especially when WOT above 3,500rpm)!!!! ;-) If it's better sound and more HP you want, then just get the Z tube and drop-in the K&N air filter in your unmodified stock airbox. Others may recommend getting the Stillen Hi-Flow airbox instead; I have no first-hand knowledge about it's performace and sound, but I am very happy with the mods I've got.

I'm sure some people have no problem removing other engine parts or punching holes in the airbox ;-), but the fewer mods you have, the less risk you have screwing something up. Just my $0.02.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter

Old 08-17-2004, 03:50 PM

Yeah, I've ordered the z-tube and k&n fileter together so they should be here any day now. I'll just go with stock set up and see how it responds. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2004, 05:32 PM

Another satisfied customer of the G35 Technical Forum. This place is great! Where do I donate my money? [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>The above statements are only my take on the issue. If you disagree with anything I typed then you are 100% right!</font color=blue>

Old 08-17-2004, 08:42 PM

I forgot to mention that I have the Z-tube as well. The K/N drop-in and tube are a great combo. You will be happy. Do a search about CAI and box mods and decide if the risk/reward is worth the trouble.

Old 08-17-2004, 11:25 PM

"resonator/water catch"
oh that what it is... how do I remove that? do i have to take the bumper off? I think there are 2 screws but i can't get it...

04c, Black, AT, PIAA, AL padel, smoked clear corner, 6th grounded-wire, z-tube/pop-charger, UR pully, Data grille & Gialla spoiler, 15% tint<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by doorbell7942 on 08/17/04 08:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 08-18-2004, 12:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are 2 screws that are kinda hard to get at.
the higher one, i used a wrench that i had to turn a million times to get off, and the lower one, i just used a socket wrench and twisted and twisted. they are long long long *** bolts that take forever to take off.

im thinking of running a hose to it from the lower bumper like the Gruppe-M intake. should be intersting.

G35s6mt/TSecu/350Z Springs&Struts/K&Nfilter+Z-tube/StillenDualExhaust /6WireGroundKit/KinetixHighFlow

Old 08-18-2004, 12:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have P/c on my car with the z tube . I repleaced the stock air box before i have to take it for service and dame the car run much better just like the first day i have the car you don't know until you tried it.Right now my car have 18k and no big problems only windows won't go up before the strom that really burn me but b/c that I like my car , 6mt b/b.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you modify a stock air box?