Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

oil consumption problem 04 automatic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil consumption problem 04 automatic

hey after reading many threads about people having this issue i decided to go to the dealership today to see what they would tell me. I understood beforehand that the TSB was for the 6mt's on the 05-07 ( or close to that).
I have a 2004 G35 with the automatic transmission and i have always changed my oil with mobil 1 synthetic oil. I've been having the problem with my car as well burning anywhere from 1-1.5 quarts every 1000 miles and when i went to the dealership they told me that of course the 6mt's have a higher rev rate and was considered to be a different motor. Do i have any say against this matter? They told me to bring in paperwork on all my oil changes and still wasn't sure if i had a shot of getting the new motor since it was a different motor. I was wondering, would i still have a shot at Infiniti replacing the motor? Oh and i currently have 60000 miles on the motor and the oil burning started at about 55000. Thanks for your time for reading this post.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by bustdis
hey after reading many threads about people having this issue i decided to go to the dealership today to see what they would tell me. I understood beforehand that the TSB was for the 6mt's on the 05-07 ( or close to that).
I have a 2004 G35 with the automatic transmission and i have always changed my oil with mobil 1 synthetic oil. I've been having the problem with my car as well burning anywhere from 1-1.5 quarts every 1000 miles and when i went to the dealership they told me that of course the 6mt's have a higher rev rate and was considered to be a different motor. Do i have any say against this matter? They told me to bring in paperwork on all my oil changes and still wasn't sure if i had a shot of getting the new motor since it was a different motor. I was wondering, would i still have a shot at Infiniti replacing the motor? Oh and i currently have 60000 miles on the motor and the oil burning started at about 55000. Thanks for your time for reading this post.
is doesnt matter if the tsb only applies to the rev up motors. Your car obviously has a problem with the motor and that is covered under the powertrain warranty which is 6 years/70k miles. They cannot deny you coverage just because the tsb is for the rev ups. BTW im having the same OC problem with my 04 automatic.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by RaginRaj11
is doesnt matter if the tsb only applies to the rev up motors. Your car obviously has a problem with the motor and that is covered under the powertrain warranty which is 6 years/70k miles. They cannot deny you coverage just because the tsb is for the rev ups. BTW im having the same OC problem with my 04 automatic.
did you go to the dealer to try and get it fixed? im trying to scrounge up all my oil change paperwork at the moment because they said I never done an oil change at Infiniti so therefore I need to prove that I take good care of the car and etc.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by bustdis
did you go to the dealer to try and get it fixed? im trying to scrounge up all my oil change paperwork at the moment because they said I never done an oil change at Infiniti so therefore I need to prove that I take good care of the car and etc.
Yup i went to an Infiniti dealer. Remove any mods before you go in though.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 06 5at coupe and I doubt if I have this oc issue as well. Coz last time I checked my oil stick in the morning, it was between "H" and "L" mark(little towards to the "L" mark). It was after 3k since last time I changed the oil at the dealership. Is it normal?

But anyways, I told the situation to the Infiniti of Nashua and asked for an oc test. They didn't say a word and started the oc test for me yesterday. I thought they are kinda cool. Now I can't touch it and will bring the car back to the dealership for the result after 1k driving. I kinda trust them since they are nice to me but should I be present and watch them break the seal and get the reading that day?

Also, my warranty expires next June(4 years or 60k). But RaginRaj11 you said the powertrain warranty is 6 years/70k miles? Is that standard for everybody?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by forzaG35
Hey guys, I have a 06 5at coupe and I doubt if I have this oc issue as well. Coz last time I checked my oil stick in the morning, it was between "H" and "L" mark(little towards to the "L" mark). It was after 3k since last time I changed the oil at the dealership. Is it normal?

But anyways, I told the situation to the Infiniti of Nashua and asked for an oc test. They didn't say a word and started the oc test for me yesterday. I thought they are kinda cool. Now I can't touch it and will bring the car back to the dealership for the result after 1k driving. I kinda trust them since they are nice to me but should I be present and watch them break the seal and get the reading that day?

Also, my warranty expires next June(4 years or 60k). But RaginRaj11 you said the powertrain warranty is 6 years/70k miles? Is that standard for everybody?
6 years/70k miles should be standard for everyone. About your dip stick, it may or not be normal. It depends just how much you filled in when you last changed it. Just keep an eye on it. Mine starts at the H mark and after 1000 miles is missing quite a bit. I gotta still get my paperwork together because my Infiniti dealership is saying I need to prove I take care of my car.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Everytime they pour 5 quarts when I change the oil at dealship. I don't know if 5 quarts is at the H mark or not... Good luck on your paperworks bustdis. I hope you will get a new engine block without being charged for anything!!

Old 07-26-2010, 12:43 AM
so it was a no go... they did multiple test and told me that my car was indeed burning oil. but since i bought it used at 15000 miles i cannot come up with the paperwork to show that the oil was changed before that time. I insisted on them to rip the engine apart and look inside the block for any oil sludge but still would not do it. any suggestions?

Old 07-30-2010, 03:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
for ALL people have have major oil usage issues and NO warranty....this is what to try: it worked for me....after much, usually slow driving...the top compression ring and the lower Oil ring will accumulate baked on carbon...causing these rings to stick in the ring land. the rings will no longer move in and out and conform to the piston bore...try this.....ADD one qt. Rislone or equivalent to whatever you now have, run for 500 miles, drain and refill with 15W40 Shell DINO...