Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

5/16" Iso Thermal Plenum Spacer Installed, Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5/16" Iso Thermal Plenum Spacer Installed, Impressions

This morning I installed a 5/16" Motordyne Iso thermal plenum spacer kit on my 2006 6mt. I've never done anything close to this before as all my mods on previous cars have been basic things like an air intake or car stereo, so I was a bit nervous to take this on. Especially knowing that if I f'd it up I'd be without a car tomorrow. But thanks to all the great info on this forum and a couple youtube videos of people doing the install, I felt very confident I could tackle this in a couple hours (in time for the superbowl!!!).

Honestly the hardest part of the project was when I dropped my 10mm socket down in the front of the engine bay before I even started After using my neighbors magnet to retrieve it the rest was very straight forward and I got it all done in just over 2.5 hours. My earlier clumsiness made me VERY cautious through the rest of the install. This was also my first time using a torque wrench and I found it to be very straightforward and it worked great. I'm not sure how people can break the head bolts on this unless they are just retarded, or ignore motordyne's instructions.

So was it worth the money??? YES!!!! Only thing I wish I had done at the same time as this was install an intake, but I'm planning on doing a Vortech in a couple months so i'm holding off on that.

Thanks to all you who put info on the forum for this install, it made it a breeze. For those considering doing it I would highly recommend it, but I am not sure if you really need to do more than just the spacer by itself.

Can anyone explain the benefits of the control valve and lower plenum gasket?? I'm assuming the power increase comes from the spacer.

Attached Thumbnails 5/16" Iso Thermal Plenum Spacer Installed, Impressions-img_1108.jpg   5/16" Iso Thermal Plenum Spacer Installed, Impressions-img_1109.jpg   5/16" Iso Thermal Plenum Spacer Installed, Impressions-img_1110.jpg   5/16" Iso Thermal Plenum Spacer Installed, Impressions-img_1111.jpg  

Last edited by chiropaul; 02-08-2010 at 01:49 AM. Reason: I'm retarded
Old 02-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Also, I don't get the logic behind closing the valve in the coolant line when ambient temps are above 55*F, and opening it below 55*F. I would think you would want coolant circulating when it is warmer outside. I'm sure if I search I can find out but any answers are appreciated.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:37 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
u need mrev 2 to complete the kit

Old 02-08-2010, 12:44 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chiropaul
Also, I don't get the logic behind closing the valve in the coolant line when ambient temps are above 55*F, and opening it below 55*F. I would think you would want coolant circulating when it is warmer outside. I'm sure if I search I can find out but any answers are appreciated.
When ambient temperatures are hot, the coolant is also hot. So when it runs into your plenum assembly it causes heat soak. Whereas when the ambient temperature is cold, running hot coolant avoids your throttle body and other components from freezing up. At least this is how I understand it.

Also since you have a rev-up engine, you need the MREV2 also from Motordyne to fully realize gains. In fact with just the spacer, I'm surprised you felt anything. If you're happy with just the spacer, I think you'll be blown away when you combine it with the MREV2.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:57 AM
I'm going to say the gains were minimal for sure. I noticed a difference in how the car felt at WOT, esp above 3k. But not "blown away". So now I'll have to take it all apart again and do the MREV2. I need to look for one in the for sale section.

I was happy and think it was worth the $$$, but as I said a Vortech is in the plans in a few months, so I def want more power.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:20 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
please say you DON'T have a REVUP, if so you got ZERO gains w/o the MREV2 to go w/ur spacer.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:31 AM
GAY. It must just be the difference in sound that gave a "mental" increase of power. What pisses me off is in all the searching I did I didn't see anything about REVUP not getting gains or I would not have even bought the damn thing. MD website makes no distinction, along with a ton of other threads. Oh well, $$$$ down the drain.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:38 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
I don't think it's money down the drain. All you need is the MREV2. On the REVUP, they work together to make gains. It's been dyno proven by Tony at Motordyne that there are no gains at all without the MREV2.

Dyno with BOTH

Old 02-08-2010, 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by Jairen
I don't think it's money down the drain. All you need is the MREV2. On the REVUP, they work together to make gains. It's been dyno proven by Tony at Motordyne that there are no gains at all without the MREV2.

Dyno with BOTH
Thanks for posting that dyno chart, I have not seen this one. So according to this Dyno there really is only a minimal difference in performance with the MREV2 w and w/out the spacer??

Would people suggest selling the Spacer and using the money from it to buy the MREV2??

Old 02-08-2010, 01:46 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
yeah man, ur still good... just pick up an MREV2 and BAM outstanding combo

Old 02-08-2010, 01:50 AM
well I need to find a used one cuz 500 for one is a lot of $$. I'll look for one tomorrow. At least I am experienced at taking the f'n plenum apart now LOL

Old 02-08-2010, 02:04 AM
i have the revup, installed mrev2 with the 5/16 spacer.... honestly i didn't feel that much gain..wth

Old 02-08-2010, 02:05 AM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
On a side note did any one notice a price hike in the spacers?

Old 02-08-2010, 06:14 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
why can't you just use 5 gaskets permotexed together? same thickness.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
^ Cause that's ghetto and with each gasket that you stack on there, the more likely it is to leak.

The aramid gasket is also used to keep the temperatures down. Here's the thread to the dyno sheet Jairen posted: https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...um-spacer.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 5/16" Iso Thermal Plenum Spacer Installed, Impressions