Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Stillen S/C & hood why oh why!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2004 | 04:41 AM
|
Stillen S/C & hood why oh why!?

I have been researching on FI on the G35C for awhile now. Since ATi Procharger was first released, I've been keeping a close eye on all FI applications for our cars. From what I gathered, the Stillen S/C remains the best choice, with the most usable power, most reliable, reasonably priced, Carb certified, and very quiet while running. I have visited Stillen in the past and I do not doubt the reputation of this great company.

BUT..... the HOOD! I can't get over how the raised hood looks on a light color G35C. The raised hood looks ok on darker color cars since the lines are more hidden, but on lighter color vehicles it's simply unacceptable. I have been losing sleep over this for over a year now.

The design of the hood looks like it came off an American muscle car like the classic Mustang or GTO, it does not go with a modern car with beautiful lines like the G35C. I've been thinking a hood scoop with rounded profile might make it look more acceptable, or just rounding out the edges on that hood. Wouldn't a hood scoop help cooling down the S/C anyways? (I know that's stretching it, but sounds reasonable to me)

I've all but ruled out Procharger and Vortech because of the noise. I'm not a fan of turbo even though I know they make more power and sounds cool. I need a FI solution that's legal and very reliable. Stillen is the product for me, unfortunately I also need this product to look good. Isn't there any other solution for the Stillen supercharger? Would a smaller supercharger work on the G35C?

CPV35 G35C Maliblue

Old 09-07-2004 | 08:13 AM
Ohio G Club Member
Re: Stillen S/C & hood why oh why!?

How about the HKS SC? I know it only adds 80+ hp but it's supposed to be more reliable and safer than other FI options.. No hood mod either. I've been quoted around $5900 delivered.

G35C 6MT/Dynashield/Z-Tube/JWT Pop-Charger/Nismo Exhaust/Ultimate Cats/UR Pulley/ Tein H-Tech Springs & 30% Tint

Old 09-07-2004 | 10:50 AM

I've considered the stillen for the same exact reasons you mention. I got a look at one for the first time a week ago and to tell you the truth, the bulge doesn't bother me as much in person as it does in the pics. This was cersoft's stage 2 and he has the IP color.

Old 09-07-2004 | 07:11 PM

was it fast?

Old 02-15-2005 | 10:02 PM
Get a CF or fiberglass hood and then find a stick on hood scoop...Cut a hole in the hood to fit the supercharger. Have the scoop painted black or car color then secure it over the hole... it would be a cooling scoop for the charger and looks better than that stupid hump.

Old 02-16-2005 | 01:18 AM
Why get a new hood? The stock aluminum one is close to same weight as the CF or fibreglass.

IMO you'll get a more professional look by modding the stock one versus gluing on a fibreglass or CF scoop. I'd rather have something that is closer to original than ricey looking

Old 02-16-2005 | 08:57 AM
i feel you on that one...stillen is def. reliable and comes w/ warranty...but that damn hood!!!

Old 02-16-2005 | 09:17 AM
How difficult is it to modify the stock hood? I know Stillen sells just the cowl and sends you cutouts...

Old 02-16-2005 | 09:24 AM
i'm right there with everyone else. i'm pretty convinced i'm going to get the stillen stage 2 (reliablity, efficient low-end, daily driver etc...), but that hood.... so i've contacted vis racing to ask them for help. if anyone knows a good cf company (or any aftermarket fiberglass company), please ask them for help. i've asked two others, but they say there is not enough demand. i'm wondering where these people live - in the land of centrifugals? the problem is i bet there is about 1 out 10 people that bought a centrifugal s/c would have looked at the stillen if they got another hood. something that said "wow!! he's got a stillen!!" not "eewww... he's got a stillen."

Old 02-16-2005 | 11:12 AM
Stillen is coming out with new design hood. No pictures yet though. They just recently had a sale where they were giving out free fiberglass hood with SC kit.

Old 02-16-2005 | 01:42 PM
Devil's Advocate
Originally Posted by GXCLUSIV
Stillen is coming out with new design hood. No pictures yet though. They just recently had a sale where they were giving out free fiberglass hood with SC kit.
That's way overdue, not to mention that it could cause me to put a pretty good sized dent in my checking account if it looks decent.

Old 02-16-2005 | 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by GXCLUSIV
They should forget about redesigning the hood and redesign the actual S/C to fit under the factory hood, if stillen was smart they would look in to that they would sell alot more s/c if it fit under the factory hood

Old 02-16-2005 | 03:42 PM
Devil's Advocate
The twin screw Eaton SC that they use is always mounted on top of the carbs or intake manifold. At least that's the way its been every time I've seen one.

Old 02-16-2005 | 03:49 PM
Yeah, sucks thats to only FI kit that is carb approved. No way around that freakin hood. Oh well, HKS and JWT for G35 is coming around the corner and is carb certified. I called Vortech, and they said maybe approved in 6 months. The guy didnt sound promising.

Old 02-16-2005 | 09:55 PM
I would think it would be soooo easy to make a great looking hood...a small, uniform buldge similar to the 350Z or one of the older Ferrari's would look great.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen S/C & hood why oh why!?