Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Ok...TSB on burning oil. What do I do about this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok...TSB on burning oil. What do I do about this?

I have had the car in at about 45-47k miles to go over the TSB about the oil consumption. No issue there...

They checked it at every 1000 miles and after each test, it was about 1-2mm away from being in the "bad". 1-2mm!

Of course, my checks showed it was in the "bad" and yet there's didn't... I probably didn't wait as long, etc.

So, fast forward to 55k. I decide to get it done again as it is of course burning it, but we are close to the 60k warranty and wanted one last check.

My question... At what point do I call Nissan/Infiniti and tell them this isn't acceptable. If it falls into 1-2mm from the point of needing swapped, how can they not understand that the car is burning it beyond what I and the service manager feels is unacceptable? I mean, I know there has to be a set limit, but to bring a car in and after 3k miles, the oil BARELY registers on the dipstick, isn't that a sign there's an issue?

I'm pretty pissed about this and I like the dealership I am working with. I don't place any blame on them, but for me to have a 4 year old car with 55k miles (running about 14k/year) and it is consuming that much oil in that little time is pure BS and I think the company should stand behind it and do me right.

Any input from anyone that has had similar issues?

Sorry guys, I know this TSB has been driven into the ground, but I'm pissed.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
has the oil burning gotten worse with more miles on the car?....maybe you could get an extended warranty and then wait until the car is burning the "required" amount of oil for the fix?....I have an 07 6MT with 20K on it and no OC issue yet but I am wondering if the OC issue gradually ensues with more mileage?

Old 02-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Cory Dalton
has the oil burning gotten worse with more miles on the car?....maybe you could get an extended warranty and then wait until the car is burning the "required" amount of oil for the fix?....I have an 07 6MT with 20K on it and no OC issue yet but I am wondering if the OC issue gradually ensues with more mileage?
Well, I'd say yes to that, but considering it is within a MM of what they feel warrants replacing the motor, I doubt they'd allow me to buy the extended warranty...

Old 03-01-2010, 08:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't thinkthey could refuse you buying the extended warranty...if so, they are admitting something is wrong with the vehicle. Then you would have an easy case for an attorney. Has the OC gotten worse with more mileage?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Cory Dalton
I don't thinkthey could refuse you buying the extended warranty...if so, they are admitting something is wrong with the vehicle. Then you would have an easy case for an attorney. Has the OC gotten worse with more mileage?
Again, I believe it has, but that's why we are doing the test on it again. I'm just pissed that it is so bad that it is understood to be burning it, but because it is permitted to burn so much, it is considered still "normal". I mean, 1mm isn't by much, ya know?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They cheat on the readings to avoid a spendy replacement. They fully tried it on me. They failed.

There are plenty of threads and posts on here about their tactics and what to do about them. 6/60 is the full car warranty. Engine and powertrain goes to 7/70 I think.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by PTownG
They cheat on the readings to avoid a spendy replacement. They fully tried it on me. They failed.

There are plenty of threads and posts on here about their tactics and what to do about them. 6/60 is the full car warranty. Engine and powertrain goes to 7/70 I think.

Why would any shop try and screw you on this deal? They make money if they have to do an engine swap. The Service Mngr WANTS it to be bad... That doesn't make any sense...

Old 03-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Lizard 1
Why would any shop try and screw you on this deal? They make money if they have to do an engine swap. The Service Mngr WANTS it to be bad... That doesn't make any sense...
Nissan does not reimburse them at the rate they would get paid charging a customer for it. There are dozens of stories on here about them overfilling, topping off, noting smaller than actual readings etc. Nissan does not want to be doing engine replacements. It costs more to do it than they probably made on the car in the 1st place.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Nissan does not reimburse them at the rate they would get paid charging a customer for it. There are dozens of stories on here about them overfilling, topping off, noting smaller than actual readings etc. Nissan does not want to be doing engine replacements. It costs more to do it than they probably made on the car in the 1st place.

I understand they do not reimburse at maybe the same rate. It is warranty work afterall and that's the way it goes on things warranty related. However, that rate is more than what they would get if they didn't do it. It sounds more like a conspiracy theory than anything. Again, getting ANYTHING for a swap is better than nothing and they have no vested interest. In fact, they'd WANT to do it to make something vs. nothing...

I don't buy that. And remember, people on forums tend to be complainers vs. stated the positives. If I get the service I think I will get this time around, I will post the experience... I never once thought the dealer hosed me. I got a SLIGHTLY different measurement than they did, but it was slight and could have been a mis-read on my part...

Old 03-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by Lizard 1
I understand they do not reimburse at maybe the same rate. It is warranty work afterall and that's the way it goes on things warranty related. However, that rate is more than what they would get if they didn't do it. It sounds more like a conspiracy theory than anything. Again, getting ANYTHING for a swap is better than nothing and they have no vested interest. In fact, they'd WANT to do it to make something vs. nothing...

I don't buy that. And remember, people on forums tend to be complainers vs. stated the positives. If I get the service I think I will get this time around, I will post the experience... I never once thought the dealer hosed me. I got a SLIGHTLY different measurement than they did, but it was slight and could have been a mis-read on my part...
ok well good luck. I would not have been approved for a long block replacement if it was up to the dealer

Old 03-08-2010, 09:19 PM
ok well good luck. I would not have been approved for a long block replacement if it was up to the dealer
How did you get it done then? Did you go directly to Nissan? Please let me know as if I can get this sorted quicker through Nissan direct, I will...

Old 03-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Measure it before you go in, bring you own ruler and make them vaildate their readings against yours. Don't let them take it out back. Insist that all measurements be done with you as a witness and never ever let them send you to the waiting room. If you take ur eyes off the car ur **** will get topped off. I caught them red handed trying to pour more oil in. That didn't go over well at all and I created a bit of a scene that they didn't want other customers to see. I had my long block approval before i left that day.