Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Dyno test left me wondering...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jairen
Tony, any comments regarding the current Import Tuner article making gains with a CAI? I see they mentioned you name in the article.

http://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhau...ort-tuner.html
Interested in hearing this one. I read the same article.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^ +1

Old 05-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Oh wow! Now I see that thread.

I didn't know I would be quoted in a mag intake test, I didn't know there was going to be a intake test. LOL.

During ART pipe testing we happened to be talking about intake design when I explained the effect of inlet coefficients and how sharp edge inlets can cause flow separation, which can induce a torroidal vortex just behind the sharp edge inlet and this in turn can cause a significant velocity gradient at the face of the MAF.

I saw the title to this thread a while ago but didn't bother to click on it.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd love to see someone with access to all the intakes give them all a run for their money.

I will be taking my pop charger off this weekend and going back to the airbox

Tony, you mentioned a paper filter, this is not the K&N drop in correct?

Old 05-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Yes. It dynos just as well if its clean and it doesn't let in a bunch of dirt.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:20 AM
any particular brands or are they available at any autozone/aap/napa/oreillys

Old 05-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
A proper tune will unleash your missing power. Also like others said the JWT intake is sucking hot air on the dyno; out on the street it is getting colder air.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:48 AM
^Yeah I won an uprev license at a raffle at Slow motion motorsports last weekend

Just gotta save up the rest of the cash to get the tune! Selling my JWT will help that come quicker lol

Old 05-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the pop charger. Was running it for years and the amount of dirt/debris it allowed through was alarming. The inside of my Z-tube was caked with dirt even though I regularly cleaned and oiled the filter.

IMO they are good only for the sound they make, and can possibly even lower the life of your engine.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:43 AM
^I don't even like the sound anymore, the whistle annoys me.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh Tom...I forgot you had a pop-charger. I could have told you that at the meet/before you bought the damn thing. People swear by stuff all the time, but spend an hour or two reading multiple opinions on parts and the truth usually comes out. Heat soak is a very well known issue with the JWT part...very likely the source of your issues (though your hood was popped if I recall, sorry I was busy with pictures).

I actually just ordered my MREV and spacer, I would do a before and after dyno, but I just don't have the time for it plus I'm putting it in myself at Ben's next weekend. Look in our forum for the meet this Saturday @ Ben's place. In any case, I think everyone can guarantee the spacer and MREV isn't hurting your power. But I'd probably reset the ECU and let it adapt to all the new stuff you added.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:00 PM
^Arnab, I thought you weren't gonna play with mods

I'm definitely putting the stock intake + z tube back on and picking up some extra filters from Infiniti of Columbus, I want performance and I really don't like the whistle of the pop charger anymore, the only sound I want the engine to make is a roar

Plus since the JWT was only on the car for about 3k miles, I'll be able to get a decent chunk of change back for it.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well it's complicated. I was always going to try to get a bit more throttle response (most important thing to me) and power out of this platform. I have a huge list of parts that I have compiled over the years that I would consider putting on this car (MREV and spacer made the list years ago when it first came out), but I didn't want to get them until I had new wheels (mine were bent from the first owner and his inability to drive around potholes or something).

That being said, this is definitely not going to be my track car in the future so I don't need to go nuts in that respect. I probably will keep this as my summer daily for some time though and until I'm done with residency I wont buy a track car nor a new more powerful daily (see E92 M3). So until then I figure I will try to slowly make this a more responsive and more enjoyable car to drive. Maybe in the future if I feel compelled to make this a project car to keep forever, I will go nuts and do full FI + GTM stroker kit and all the bells and whistles, but at that stage I'll probably just want a newer better platform later.

It's a bit of a balancing act in not wasting money on a ton of mods for this car in anticipation that I wont want to keep it forever, but at the same time living in the moment and trying to get some more out this car. MREV + spacer and HKS vs Motordyne exhaust were all going to be initial products that have sat on my "to buy" list for a looooooong time now. I'm on call this weekend and I got bored and saw Tony@Riverside had a special for the stuff so I impulsively just ordered it...I dunno, we'll see where this all ends up.

In any case, get that OEM box back on. I could have sworn when we first met, I told you not to bother with CAIs or intake mods as ours were pretty much near perfect from the factory or at least good enough that the $/hp gain from even the best intake is just silly. Maybe I didn't tell you, in which case, sorry you had to find out the expensive way...

Last edited by stradaONE8; 05-29-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:21 AM
no problem man, I don't remember us discussing it, but either way the original box will be back on soon, I just have to reinstall the mounts. Stan took them out when I was down at his place lol.