Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Installing headers..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Installing headers..

i need a how to or help installing my headers. i have no idea what im doing....

Old 12-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
good luck. do yourself a favor and pay someone to do it. its way more involved for even a novice to tackle.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here you go, this might help. Headers install on a 350z.

http://members.***.net/lawson370/350z_005.htm

Old 12-21-2010, 12:29 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
LOL. That makes it sound like its an easy job. I've installed 4 sets of headers. Each set sucked to install. Good luck if you do it yourself and haven't done this before. You should also consult the FSM for help.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:02 AM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by skyline250GT
Here you go, this might help. Headers install on a 350z.

http://members.***.net/lawson370/350z_005.htm
lol FAIL!

You DO NOT have to remove the steering knuckle to install the headers.

You dont even have to remove the air intake.

It's a decent guideline but far from effective.

Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
LOL. That makes it sound like its an easy job. I've installed 4 sets of headers. Each set sucked to install. Good luck if you do it yourself and haven't done this before. You should also consult the FSM for help.
Proper tools and patience can make it less of an issue.

I've installed countless amounts of headers (with 1-2 feet of clearence from the ground) and it is not all that bad. Just have to know how to get to each bolt easily.

I wish I saved all the photographs of my Top Speed Pro-1's.

Here is the list of tools you will NEED:

Basic 3/8 Ratchet
10mm-17mm sockets
10-16mm wrenches (ratcheting wrenches work GREAT)
4 - 12 inch length extensions
electrical tape
3/8 swivel
radio

Here is a cut and paste (from another forum that I posted, just lost all the pictures)

First and Foremost: Think SAFETY, Dont go thinking you are going to be safe with just a jack. Do lots of research even though I have snapped many photos and provided lots of Ideas Continue to do research and plan ahead. Have back up plans alike.

Now to the nitty gritty,

Upon bringing the car into the garage i planned everything down. measured gaskets, made sure everything fell in place, inspected the welds and flanges to be straight and not warped. Made sure i had all materials and tools needed.

Friday Night I stationed the car and lifted it approx 2 feet on the drivers side, put a chuk on the rear passenger tire to prevent movement "just in case" (backup) also put the car on a safety and lowered the jack afterwards i re-positioned the jack with a small amount of force... not enough to take it off the safety jack but enough that you feel some tension.. the idea is to secure that you have the car in the air and supported under all conditions. 3,500lbs falling on you will be fatal so THINK SAFETY FIRST. Also REMOVE THE BATTERY POSITIVE WIRE.

I allowed the car to cool over night. Saturday afternoon I dissambled the engine cover, Z-Tube and intake box just to have enough clearence up top for whatever i may need to do, Removed the Lower Engine Cover(s) and Painted the Steering Coumn Shaft to the rack and pinion.

Grabed a can of Rem Oil (WD40 equivalent) and sprayed it on all the bolts around the cat converter to Y-Pipe to the Header to cat converter and stabilizer bar on the transmission to cat converter; Let it soak for a few minutes sprayed again and grabed 3/8 Drive Rachet and a 14MM Socket. At first I tried being macho man.... NOT Had to grab a breaker bar and break them loose. Once the bolts were loose i took off the bracket and set it aside Placing ALL NUTS and bolts in the Container i had previously arrainged.

Twist GENTLY the Clip that connects the Oxygen Sensor on the Cat. Conv. and use a small philips screwdriver or the tip of a needle nose pliar to unclip it and it slides right off.

Remove the cat converter and save the Flange for the cat converter to Y-pipe. You will need this later on unless you have a new one. I found it easier to go through the front of the car attach a few extensions to the 14mm long socket and remove the screws you can reach from this angle.

Set the Converter aside. You can see 1 stud stayed on the Manifold dont worry this is normal.

Remove the steering column shaft by simply losening the bolts and moving the Joint up it will slide right up with no problem. REMEMBER TO MARK THE POSITION BEFORE YOU TAKE IT OFF....... IF YOU FEEL LIKE TAKING IT OFF, not needed.

Now with a 10MM Socket and a swivel you can grab a few of the bolts holding the heat shields, remove them. The heatshield comes out without a hitch from the top. At this point you can see the studs and nuts on the manifolds. You can reach them easily with a 3inch 3/8 Extension and a long 14mm or 9/16 socket.

Remove the oxygen sensor on the manifold.
and set it aside (on the tranny is fine)
remove them also. Place EVERYTHING IN THE CONTAINER.....

The headers should come out easily also from the bottom. Now you can make you observations or hold it high in the air like a trophy.... or do what i did and sling it out and grabed the new one and smacked it on.....BUT WAIT Dont forget the exhaust flange gasket lol i got so excited i forgot about that.... Had to remove them after placing them in and saying ohhh yeah gaskets...

So put the gasket in place and insert the manifold into the head. present the nuts on the studs with your hands. This will ensure you dont strip the studs by mistake.

Now Starting torqueing them down i did in this manner:

<< front of car

3-1-5
6-2-4

each one bringing them evenly to distribute the force correctly and allow for a proper seal.

You may notice that from in front of the car NEAR THE A/C Compressor you can Fit a 3/8 Swivel and a 14mm Socket also right below the strut you can also do the same.

The ones up top may need to be completed using a geared wrench or a basic wrench.

Once you have tighten them all up Then take a break, Dont try to rush through any of this you dont want to forget about anything.

Once you have cleared your mind a bit or goten some water/beer ... whatever... then reinstall the oxygen sensor.

Since you do not need the heat shields anymore because aftermarket headers dont support them You can save the 4 10MM screws that become spare parts.

If you have enough energy remove the cat conv for the passenger side...

I personally removed the cat converter and left it for the next day... Remember all this can be accomplished with air tools if you wish to use them.

Passenger side:

Since you already removed the cat converter you can now remove the heat shields....

Since I used power tools i will try to mix around and have it so everyone can understand what I did here.
Once again going to the 1/4 Drive Ratchet with 10mm end with a swivel and some electric tape for stability, You can reach the top 10mm bolts from the top using the extension and swivel, the ones in the lower end can be reached with either a 10MM wrench, or socket no swivel needed here. What i did was instead of using hand tools went straight for the air rachet with the extensions and swivels and i was done in 5 minutes with this....

Then i using the small breaker bar losen ALL the nuts on the header and came back with the air rachet and they were all gone in a flinch, Note: for this side its easier to work with the larger under body cover off, you can reach the bottom right bolt (one closest to the front of the engine) from under the car right above the alternator. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE BATTERY POSITIVE DISCONNECTED. you can fry your ecu, have a fire, or get a huge JOLT if you happen to touch the positive and ground it out. ...

Dont forget to continue to place ALL BOLTS, NUTS, etc.... in the canister don't loose them.

When we moving the OE header and replacing the other header MAKE SURE YOU ARE CAREFUL, because there is a green clip towards the end of the header, this is your fuel line, Do not bend it or try to make too much force through it.

put your header on along with the proper exhaust gasket and do the same with this header present ALL the nuts with your hand and then progressively bring them together to create that proper seal.

Rear of Car <<<<< front of car >>>>>
3-1-5
6-2-4

reinstall the O2 sensor,

now you are ready to reassemble your car.

Reinstall the cat converter using the new gaskets, if you dont have new ones i suggest getting a high heat copper gasket liquid and making a thin flat bead along both sides with the old gasket. this will ensure a proper seal.

re install everything,

if you used a bit of gasket maker then you have to wait till the product is ready for its use. If not

Gather all your tools, make sure you have no tools in the belts or fans,

reinstall the battery, put her back down evenly and Turn the car on. check for leaks....

If you hear a hissing noise it could be a leak. if you hear a loud pah pah pah or moderate pah pah pah.... thats a leak find its source turn off the car wait till it cools disconnect the battery and retighten.

Recheck and you are good to go.

Enjoy your new mods.

Within 500 miles lift the car and recheck bolts and retighten as needed.

Hope this serves anyone in the future.

Pictures of the process.
I used various other tools to act as other individuals whom do not have the resources I have.

This was my first time doing the install as well. Today, I can remove and install both sides in about 2-3 hours.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:06 AM
Received 129 Likes on 76 Posts
This is the one thing on my G35 that I paid to have done for me. I took one look at the space I had to work with, and decided to get a quote.

Took it to the local shop and they quoted me $180 to install the headers and high flow cats. I made them print the quote and asked what happened if they went over on time (they told me it'd take 3 hours). They said I'd still pay just the quote, and if they went under on the time I wouldn't even have to pay that much.

Needless to say I dropped the car off one morning, and didn't get it back til the next afternoon. I still only payed $180 for it, and didn't put myself through that hassle.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by c_morse
This is the one thing on my G35 that I paid to have done for me. I took one look at the space I had to work with, and decided to get a quote.

Took it to the local shop and they quoted me $180 to install the headers and high flow cats. I made them print the quote and asked what happened if they went over on time (they told me it'd take 3 hours). They said I'd still pay just the quote, and if they went under on the time I wouldn't even have to pay that much.

Needless to say I dropped the car off one morning, and didn't get it back til the next afternoon. I still only payed $180 for it, and didn't put myself through that hassle.
Some people like myself prefer to just work on the car not because of the problems, but the journey.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:14 AM
Hey man, believe me I understand about the journey. But there are things that I can look at and recognize that my time and effort would be better spent in other places. This is one of those examples. Why should I toil for two days to get a set of headers on the car, when I can pay someone else and put my time to use otherwise?

I have done everything else on my car myself. This is just the one thing that I could recognize was going to cause me more frustration than happy feelings.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by c_morse
Hey man, believe me I understand about the journey. But there are things that I can look at and recognize that my time and effort would be better spent in other places. This is one of those examples. Why should I toil for two days to get a set of headers on the car, when I can pay someone else and put my time to use otherwise?

I have done everything else on my car myself. This is just the one thing that I could recognize was going to cause me more frustration than happy feelings.

C'mon man, bloody knuckles, sheer agony from rust falling in your eyes and the worry of what if the car falls on me...

I mean what else can you ask for?

Old 12-21-2010, 01:20 AM
lol, I understand your point very well. Honestly 180 is a crack head price.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:22 AM
I have been in the trenches and done all of that. I recently fully built a Second Gen Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. Fully built turbo motor, completely redone engine bay. I sacrificed a lot of blood and tears to that car.

I've just come to a point where it's easier for me to shell out a few bucks to someone to do things that I can look at and recognize are a huge PITA for me, than doing them myself.

I've already decided that the only other major work I'll be paying to have done is the flywheel/clutch installation in the next year or so.

Besides that, this car is being done by me, and me alone.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by Eric@TCGMiami
lol, I understand your point very well. Honestly 180 is a crack head price.
Dude you should've seen my eyes when he quoted. That's why I asked for my own copy of the quote, and then asked what happened if they went over time.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I bet they charge 2-3X that amount in the future if they do any more VQ headers