Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Overheating Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 06:35 AM
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I was having the same problem as OP. I noticed my fan was not coming on like Toolboothwilley mention and I took it to the dealer, I found out there was a TSB for the fan motor and Infiniti extended the warranty just on the fan motor, I think 96 month/100K. got it replace for free.

I would definitely follow the troubleshooting steps Toolboothwilley posted

Old 05-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=Tollboothwilley;5861346]well, you can check fans pretty easily - let your car warm up to normal temp...pop the hood and wait for the fans to come on. If only 1 comes on, or neither come on then you have fan issues. If you turn on the AC then both fans should be engaged within 45 seconds regardless of current engine temp.
/QUOTE]

I took it to a shop and they checked and neither of the fans come on with the AC on. He said it could either be the fans itself or the sensor.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by DRKNYT
I took it to a shop and they checked and neither of the fans come on with the AC on. He said it could either be the fans itself or the sensor.
Take it to the dealer, I am almost 100% sure that is the fan motor and that you will get this change for free as long as you have not pass 100k miles. Check these thread out:

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...an-motors.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...-infiniti.html

Good luck

Old 05-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lsmooth81
Take it to the dealer, I am almost 100% sure that is the fan motor and that you will get this change for free as long as you have not pass 100k miles. Check these thread out:

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...an-motors.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...-infiniti.html

Good luck
wow, that's perfect. I'm right at 92K so i'll take it to the dealership and see what they say. Thanks so much for looking that up and bringing it to my attention.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by DRKNYT
wow, that's perfect. I'm right at 92K so i'll take it to the dealership and see what they say. Thanks so much for looking that up and bringing it to my attention.
No problem.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
yup - if the fans arent coming on you will most certainly boil over at idle since there is no air dissipating the heat.

Hopefully no lasting damage has been done. Get those fans replace ASAP - aluminum warps much faster than iron and you don't want to have a leaky head gasket.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey everyone. I too began experiencing the same issues. I checked all hoses, drained, purged, etc. Still same issues. Took to the dealership this morning to do diagnostics. The cooling fan motors were not running at full speed. My 05 fan warranty was extended by the factory and the charges are being covered to replace them by Infiniti. So the moral of the story: If your fans come on, they may still be defective. Any dealer should be able to look up you vin# to see if you are covered under the extended fan warranty. Mine was extended thru 2013 or 100,000 miles. Currently I have 43K miles on the car.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:16 AM
my g35 started having heating issues last night not as bad as op's situation. I was driving normal and the heat gauge was going up and down, warning screen came on the navi telling me to go see dealer, after 10 miles of diving(to home) it started working just fine warning screen was gone. I did drove from colorado to california for my vacation break a week ago, car made it through just fine. Notice warmness in my feet area. I thought its because the engine is mounted more back and thats why, not a big deal. Im going to check if it is a fan issue that occurred tomorrow, but any input is welcome for my problem.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:43 AM
Originally Posted by linpointer
my g35 started having heating issues last night not as bad as op's situation. I was driving normal and the heat gauge was going up and down, warning screen came on the navi telling me to go see dealer, after 10 miles of diving(to home) it started working just fine warning screen was gone. I did drove from colorado to california for my vacation break a week ago, car made it through just fine. Notice warmness in my feet area. I thought its because the engine is mounted more back and thats why, not a big deal. Im going to check if it is a fan issue that occurred tomorrow, but any input is welcome for my problem.
I would definitely take it to the dealer ASAP. More than likey it started to work fine because the flow of air keeped the engine cool. I had the same situation and when I drove from the Bay area to Sac I had no problem, but around a week later while driving slow on traffic the problem came back. when it comes to your engine and over heating it is not good to take any chance get it to the dealer. good luck with everything

Old 05-25-2011, 05:59 AM
I would definitely take it to the dealer ASAP. More than likey it started to work fine because the flow of air keeped the engine cool. I had the same situation and when I drove from the Bay area to Sac I had no problem, but around a week later while driving slow on traffic the problem came back. when it comes to your engine and over heating it is not good to take any chance get it to the dealer. good luck with everything
thank alot for the quick reply, my i ask if it was your fans acting up in your case, what you explained was exactly whats going on with my G. Im going to the daler first thing in the morning and will update with results and cost to help others in the future!

Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 AM
It was my fan, but I didn't know until my car started to overheat the second time, I opened my engine bay and radiator fluid was boiling up and out of the reservoir tank all in my engine bay.

After some minor troubleshooting with some of my friends and their G, we noticed the fan would not come on, but if I pushed the fan with my hand they would start spinning and stay on so the fan motors were going bad. I did some research on this forum and found out that there was a TSB for this and that infiniti had extended the warranty on the fan to 96month/100K.

I took it to the dealer and told them it was my fan that that it should be cover under the extended warranty for the fan motor. They replaced it at no cost and I have not had any problems since.

Check post #4 and #11 by Tollboothwilley on troubleshooting and what parts can cause overheating. I also had this same problem on my wife's honda accord and I ended up changing the thermostat and the fan flow switch and it did not fix the problem, it ended up being the fan, just like my G.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:03 PM
It was my fan, but I didn't know until my car started to overheat the second time, I opened my engine bay and radiator fluid was boiling up and out of the reservoir tank all in my engine bay.

After some minor troubleshooting with some of my friends and their G, we noticed the fan would not come on, but if I pushed the fan with my hand they would start spinning and stay on so the fan motors were going bad. I did some research on this forum and found out that there was a TSB for this and that infiniti had extended the warranty on the fan to 96month/100K.

I took it to the dealer and told them it was my fan that that it should be cover under the extended warranty for the fan motor. They replaced it at no cost and I have not had any problems since.

Check post #4 and #11 by Tollboothwilley on troubleshooting and what parts can cause overheating. I also had this same problem on my wife's honda accord and I ended up changing the thermostat and the fan flow switch and it did not fix the problem, it ended up being the fan, just like my G.
checked my car today, turned on the ac and both fan appears to be kicking in fine, however the coolant level was below min, I think i will take it and get filled up before going to the dealership today. If it still overheats then off to the dealers.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:12 PM
checked my car today, turned on the ac and both fan appears to be kicking in fine, however the coolant level was below min, I think i will take it and get filled up before going to the dealership today. If it still overheats then off to the dealers.
You could try that, my fans would come on if I turned the AC on, but it would not come on when the engine starts getting hot. I dont' think the singal comes from the same location that tells the fan to come on when the AC is turned as oppose to coming on when engine is getting hot. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

If you are low on cooland fluid, I would definitely top it off and see if it happens again.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:14 PM
You could try that, my fans would come on if I turned the AC on, but it would not come on when the engine starts getting hot. I dont' think the singal comes from the same location that tells the fan to come on when the AC is turned as oppose to coming on when engine is getting hot. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

If you are low on cooland fluid, I would definitely top it off and see if it happens again.
ya, if i come off with this problem again i will know where to check first thanks to you guys in this forum will give an update with results

Old 05-25-2011, 04:45 PM
ya, if i come off with this problem again i will know where to check first thanks to you guys in this forum will give an update with results
went to autozone to get 50/50 coolant, the guy there was an idiot, dropped my coolant cap and said that my engine was too hot and it was gonna pop the radiator cap...... filled it up back to max line and starting to drive home, temp started going above halfway mark again, is this normal at first? Im goin to the dealership today, but i checked the fan and it seems to be both working, so not sure if fan is going in and out or just not working properly, or it could be something else like the radiator.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Overheating Issue