Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Advice on Engine mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
+1 on Uprev > Cobb.

Having had both of these I've learned the real time tuning has its perks... I know this from talking to the guys doing the tuning- that's not really my gig. It has been gaining popularity in here in the past 6 months or so and they're making some big gains on some big platforms.

With that being said, if you decide to keep building up the long block people will start weening you off the piggybacks and pushing you towards Haltech or ProEFI. I'm not sure if I ever saw any power goals for your build... but as you start to get closer to 550-600 I think you'll start seeing benefits at the standalone level. Again, this is what I've been hearing over in my thread as I transitioned into the FI world- I'm heading towards a ~550 AT and I'm experiencing some issues but I don't think it's at the Uprev (Osiris) level yet. I'm still doing my engine break in so I have been taking things easy.

With that all being said, in as much as I'd love to welcome you and your ambition with open arms the road to the end result can be rocky and daunting. My car went in to get a simple TT kit installed (JWT 700bb) in February and I only just picked it up from its SECOND shop a couple weeks ago and almost 20k later. The first guys who did my install (Progressive Auto in Victoria, BC) proved to be a bunch of hammerheads who screwed the build with really, REALLY unprofessional oversights and jank modifications resulting in blowing a rod. Hello rebuild.

It took a lot of fun out of the car... The forums are crowded with guys blowing their 3rd and 4th engines... minor glitches and issues that our NA brothers are not having. They scratch their heads and wonder what our problems are because they get on just fine.

Don't get me wrong... I came in here a couple years ago looking to just chat with folks about the G and figure out what was going on around town- then I learned about modding... wtf is modding? Hmmm... intake mod? Aggressive exhaust note? Hmmmm... sounds good to me! What's this plenum spacer thing and how will that help? Exhaust you say? Tune? Okay... Coilovers? Why on EARTH would I want to LOWER my car? Oh wait, because it looks disgusting- that's why. Transgo? Is that like public transit or something?

You get the picture.

And, if you count all that stuff I've spent over 30k in mods on this car and the list keeps on growing. But now it's things like Quaife LSD, temp gauges, more dyno tuning, stickier tires, ANOTHER new bumper...

So when you've got your price figured out to go ahead and purchase all this stuff and install it yourself... do yourself the favour and basically double that OR have an eject limit- where you're going to accept that you've gone too far and it's time to go back to stock and abandon the course. Blow one engine and suddenly the reality hits- and it sucks.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ITNKICN
+1 on Uprev > Cobb.

Having had both of these I've learned the real time tuning has its perks... I know this from talking to the guys doing the tuning- that's not really my gig. It has been gaining popularity in here in the past 6 months or so and they're making some big gains on some big platforms.

With that being said, if you decide to keep building up the long block people will start weening you off the piggybacks and pushing you towards Haltech or ProEFI. I'm not sure if I ever saw any power goals for your build... but as you start to get closer to 550-600 I think you'll start seeing benefits at the standalone level. Again, this is what I've been hearing over in my thread as I transitioned into the FI world- I'm heading towards a ~550 AT and I'm experiencing some issues but I don't think it's at the Uprev (Osiris) level yet. I'm still doing my engine break in so I have been taking things easy.

With that all being said, in as much as I'd love to welcome you and your ambition with open arms the road to the end result can be rocky and daunting. My car went in to get a simple TT kit installed (JWT 700bb) in February and I only just picked it up from its SECOND shop a couple weeks ago and almost 20k later. The first guys who did my install (Progressive Auto in Victoria, BC) proved to be a bunch of hammerheads who screwed the build with really, REALLY unprofessional oversights and jank modifications resulting in blowing a rod. Hello rebuild.

It took a lot of fun out of the car... The forums are crowded with guys blowing their 3rd and 4th engines... minor glitches and issues that our NA brothers are not having. They scratch their heads and wonder what our problems are because they get on just fine.

Don't get me wrong... I came in here a couple years ago looking to just chat with folks about the G and figure out what was going on around town- then I learned about modding... wtf is modding? Hmmm... intake mod? Aggressive exhaust note? Hmmmm... sounds good to me! What's this plenum spacer thing and how will that help? Exhaust you say? Tune? Okay... Coilovers? Why on EARTH would I want to LOWER my car? Oh wait, because it looks disgusting- that's why. Transgo? Is that like public transit or something?

You get the picture.

And, if you count all that stuff I've spent over 30k in mods on this car and the list keeps on growing. But now it's things like Quaife LSD, temp gauges, more dyno tuning, stickier tires, ANOTHER new bumper...

So when you've got your price figured out to go ahead and purchase all this stuff and install it yourself... do yourself the favour and basically double that OR have an eject limit- where you're going to accept that you've gone too far and it's time to go back to stock and abandon the course. Blow one engine and suddenly the reality hits- and it sucks.
thanks for the realness. Sorry about the rough luck. But yea I like the good stories about great hp gain and I also like the horror stories about blown engines to keep me anchored to reality. So with that being said I've already made up all I'm gonna do to the engine is that list. It may not even be the entire list but I won't be doing more than that. I have an AT also hows driving one with that many horses. We have alot in common i too am a noob so some of this is like a second language. Wtf is a rev-up engine and why doesn't my G have one lol. And alot of guys I guess think we all should be born with this knowledge so they post smart remarks instead of helping you so I'm grateful for all of the replies I receive from you guys. I'll post pictures soon

Old 08-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Eno
AT poses its own problems and I think the most you're ever going to see anyone say they can reliably hold is 400-450. Now I'm running into some problems relating to the ATF temp. I went with a built tranny from IPT and their high stall Torque Converter... even with the entry level aftermarket cooling for the ATF I'm still getting shut downs because of high fluid temps in the tranny... at least that's what we've been able to source out so far. Either that or my stock MAF is dumping every time I lean on it... I already have the upgraded HPX purchased... just wasn't installed. The stock is good for 400-450... so the HPX is in your future as well. Some just upgrade the clutch packs... I went for a full rebuild- but that alone was 5k.

At the very least you're going to want the transgo shifting kit- doesn't increase HP but just murders the stock shifting. It was like a whole new car. DEFINITELY recommend- Again, it won't help you hold more TQ as much as just make the shifting quicker crisper.

What I'm going to suggest is that you go over to the FI section and check out my thread. Granted it's 30 pages or so long now... but you can kind of see how things went down and the additional parts I wasn't expecting to need... areas where I thought I was good but wasn't and some of the advice I've already been given that will likely have to pass on again anyway. I notice you say something like "I'm too lazy to read, give me info..."

Sorry brother- but you've got a LOT of reading ahead of you no matter what you do... so you might as well get comfortable.

Also, we have the non rev so though some guys talk about making some pretty decent boost gains with stock engines, the rev up is modified enough to make it more robust in the boost environment. Some dismiss the differences as minor but from what I'm seeing the DE original is a softer engine- probably intended for the grannies and soccer mums I see driving this platform all over the place. The rev up was geared more towards the guys who are going to put that 6th gear to good use.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by ITNKICN
AT poses its own problems and I think the most you're ever going to see anyone say they can reliably hold is 400-450. Now I'm running into some problems relating to the ATF temp. I went with a built tranny from IPT and their high stall Torque Converter... even with the entry level aftermarket cooling for the ATF I'm still getting shut downs because of high fluid temps in the tranny... at least that's what we've been able to source out so far. Either that or my stock MAF is dumping every time I lean on it... I already have the upgraded HPX purchased... just wasn't installed. The stock is good for 400-450... so the HPX is in your future as well. Some just upgrade the clutch packs... I went for a full rebuild- but that alone was 5k.

At the very least you're going to want the transgo shifting kit- doesn't increase HP but just murders the stock shifting. It was like a whole new car. DEFINITELY recommend- Again, it won't help you hold more TQ as much as just make the shifting quicker crisper.

What I'm going to suggest is that you go over to the FI section and check out my thread. Granted it's 30 pages or so long now... but you can kind of see how things went down and the additional parts I wasn't expecting to need... areas where I thought I was good but wasn't and some of the advice I've already been given that will likely have to pass on again anyway. I notice you say something like "I'm too lazy to read, give me info..."

Sorry brother- but you've got a LOT of reading ahead of you no matter what you do... so you might as well get comfortable.

Also, we have the non rev so though some guys talk about making some pretty decent boost gains with stock engines, the rev up is modified enough to make it more robust in the boost environment. Some dismiss the differences as minor but from what I'm seeing the DE original is a softer engine- probably intended for the grannies and soccer mums I see driving this platform all over the place. The rev up was geared more towards the guys who are going to put that 6th gear to good use.
I will look into the shift kit definitely. And you made me really wish I had a rev-up :-( but oh well you work with what you got hence the AT I wish I had a 6 speed but terrible credit I couldnt go **** on car just cuz it was AT. I got everything else I wanted in the car beside the nav system. Black body, spoiler, and sunroof 3 out of 4 aint bad. I know I'm gonna have to do some reading but I feel reading other peoples posts I'm not getting answers to MY questions unless its a chance its a guy out there that wants to put all the exact same parts on his engine as I do mine then I think asking my own question is better for getting a response for what I have planned for my car. Now brand comparisons or supercharging vs twin-turbo threads I'll be all over cuz I'm still in limbo on those topics... Hope that made sense... I just dont wanna read a 30+ page thread and not have my question answered.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
You will blow money oh so fast and have nothing to show for it. You need to learn to do research and learn from others costly mistakes. Spend TONS OF TIME ON MY350Z. Nothing against G35driver members but many folks on my350z are into extreme performance. Many will go FUNCTION > FORM and focus on engine mods first before blowing money on rims and a body kit.

Lots of research on FI and even engine swaps. Have you put any thoughts into swapping in a 2jz or a ls2 engine. I would stop wasting time with the vq motor and if you truly want to stick with the VQ then buy a used built motor. Many people parting out there cars and will sell you a motor for 30%-40% off compared to what they paid.

You will quickly burn through thousands of dollars hits many brick walls, maybe blow a motor and be $20,000 deep. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH AND SAVE YOUR SELF $$$$$

REV-UP OR NOT

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...ml#post6047122

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...-tein-etc.html

Old 08-17-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm not looking for extreme modding just want to get to a nice point and then stop. Not trying to make a track or drag car. This is my daily driver so I haven't considered swapping engines. But I'm intrigued by the silver g engine.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Eno
Yeah... that all happened about a day after I completed on my build. Argh. I think it's the full long block build too.

Oh the humanity!

And yes also to the my350z community as well. A few more cantankerous garage folks in there who have a TON of information that will save you in the long run but you need to show you've done some legwork before they offer it over. It's just the way the game is played. The community gets a half dozen guys a day (practically) going in "I'm thinking of going FI... how about 550HP on my daily driver for about 4k? My buddy said he'd help me rebuild my engine in his garage. He has a jackstand and a jack out of his honda he was going to use..." etc.

So I DO understand why they want to see a bit more before they lay it all out.

But spend a few moments just reviewing some older threads and see to what lengths these guys go when a 350z / G35 guy is in peril and it will inspire you.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd go for a boosted performance single turbo kit, a rowdy 380-400 at the wheels... stick to 6psi boost with uprev and call it a day. I'd be out about 10k total with having someone install it for me.

Nevermind this whole built block stuff... that's just asking for problems. Spend the money elsewhere. Unfortunately the non-rev just ain't up to the task for big numbers... no matter how much money you spend on it.

Last edited by Eno; 08-17-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:12 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Krack
I'm not looking for extreme modding just want to get to a nice point and then stop. Not trying to make a track or drag car. This is my daily driver so I haven't considered swapping engines. But I'm intrigued by the silver g engine.
you're talking about modding... you will come to realize that there IS no end to the mod bug. it will strike repeatedly over and over, even when your broke you will still want to do something. Im more of a style over performance guy, im the one you will see w/ 20's on my car, a body kit, and a candy-paint paintjob. why? because i see my car as something that compliments me. Just like a dress a certain way, i think my car should accent my steez even more. and anyways, the highest speed limit in SoCal is 75 on the I-15, and my car can already get there w/ its stock internals. and yeah the tracks nice but i dont have the money for FI, and also FI maintenance! god forbid the day your late for work and you start speeding, idk where your from buuut in cali if a cop catches you going over 100, the state can take your car away and throw you in jail on the spot, its a felony... so i know FI for my daily driver is a dumb idea, hope it works well for you. just seems like a waste imo, but to each his own.

Edit:
Originally Posted by Black Krack
Originally Posted by irishsig
You're best served searching in the "Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction" section.
There is a wealth of info in there.
And the FI guys can advise you on what to buy & not buy.
im new to the forum but i would like custom tailored answers not something somebody else wanted. secondly i am lazy and didnt wanna go through all the searching. i'm more intrested in upgrading than reading lol thanks though irishsig
lazy or not, you should know what your doing to your car... if you know what parts are in your car and how each part is affecting your car you can better tune your car to fit your style. you say you want custom tailored answers, not something someone else wanted, but do you really think people are going to push their favorite parts or brands on you when you ask what you should be running? I'm not tryna diss you or start some online drama, thats just not my steez. all im sayin is read up on what your potentially going to spending A LOT of money on. you should know things like why you would run a single turbo over a double or safe engine heat temps under high loads. knowledge is power, and i definitely would be pretty embarassed if someone asked me something about a car a dumped thousands in and i had no idea what he was talking about.

Last edited by Trickstyle; 08-18-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Trickstyle
you're talking about modding... you will come to realize that there IS no end to the mod bug. it will strike repeatedly over and over, even when your broke you will still want to do something. Im more of a style over performance guy, im the one you will see w/ 20's on my car, a body kit, and a candy-paint paintjob. why? because i see my car as something that compliments me. Just like a dress a certain way, i think my car should accent my steez even more. and anyways, the highest speed limit in SoCal is 75 on the I-15, and my car can already get there w/ its stock internals. and yeah the tracks nice but i dont have the money for FI, and also FI maintenance! god forbid the day your late for work and you start speeding, idk where your from buuut in cali if a cop catches you going over 100, the state can take your car away and throw you in jail on the spot, its a felony... so i know FI for my daily driver is a dumb idea, hope it works well for you. just seems like a waste imo, but to each his own.

Edit:

lazy or not, you should know what your doing to your car... if you know what parts are in your car and how each part is affecting your car you can better tune your car to fit your style. you say you want custom tailored answers, not something someone else wanted, but do you really think people are going to push their favorite parts or brands on you when you ask what you should be running? I'm not tryna diss you or start some online drama, thats just not my steez. all im sayin is read up on what your potentially going to spending A LOT of money on. you should know things like why you would run a single turbo over a double or safe engine heat temps under high loads. knowledge is power, and i definitely would be pretty embarassed if someone asked me something about a car a dumped thousands in and i had no idea what he was talking about.
i take no offense and i agree fully. i will know whats in my car just wanted to get viewers 2 cents on my previous setup like you said which brands would go better together for optimal performance. i want people to crap all over my list tell me what brands i should stay away from and what not. just wanted some advice lol

Old 08-19-2011, 10:26 AM
I am new to the G, but not building bad *** rides. Sething you should consider is suspension and brakes. As stated a few posts above about function over form is, what good is having all this power if your car cant handle or stop it? Me, personally, have always gone, suspension/brakes, drivetrain(rearend,ujoints,trans and motor, then body/interior. Thats just me. What good is a built high HP motor if you burn up your trans, snap u joints, or snap axle shafts? Consider your ultimate goal with the car, drag racing, road racing(not street racing), great all around DD? Then go from there. Dont just jump into it full blown then realize that your vision has changed. My .02. Hope it helps.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by slo9fo5oh
I am new to the G, but not building bad *** rides. Sething you should consider is suspension and brakes. As stated a few posts above about function over form is, what good is having all this power if your car cant handle or stop it? Me, personally, have always gone, suspension/brakes, drivetrain(rearend,ujoints,trans and motor, then body/interior. Thats just me. What good is a built high HP motor if you burn up your trans, snap u joints, or snap axle shafts? Consider your ultimate goal with the car, drag racing, road racing(not street racing), great all around DD? Then go from there. Dont just jump into it full blown then realize that your vision has changed. My .02. Hope it helps.
i had supsension and brake kits on my list... i dont know much about suspension so i didnt know what i needed to include but i know where you add to one component of a car it also needs to be done to all other important components.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My very first mod to my G was suspension. I did the Ksport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, Stillen Sway bars and a rear camber adjustments and my god does the car drive well. My coils are set to the highest stiffness along with the sways and i was able to stick around turns and it just hugs the curves. the best money i have ever spent. I did later want the car to run even stiffer so I upped the spring rating for an even more stiffer ride. If i were you get all the suspension done first and learn the limits of the car along with yourself cuz the car is going to handle completely different. If your going to do a brake kit I'd look into getting the wheels you want so you know how big of a kit your able to do.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:12 PM
^^^ +10000!!!!!! However, going super stiff on the springs, you can actually lose traction on less than smooth pavement due to rebound and the spring not letting the tire ride over the bumps. It will cause the tire to bounce and lose traction.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If u get a chance check out the dw-tech st960. It just came out and has alot of new features. I ordered the dw-tech st800 about 3 weeks ago not know the new system was coming out. Oh well i will upgrade to the new system later.

The following users liked this post:
Black Krack (08-21-2011)