Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Low end torque improvement recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Banned
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggyfingers
Rob, I saw your Level 1 power pack. Will the HFC's throw off my check engine light? I was curious about it.
Rob,

I already have a Z tube and my car is a Revup. On another post you mentioned the angled spacer woudn't be much of an improvement. Does the pully make enough reasonable gains? Also, what would you estimate an average mechanic should charge for this type of installation for the pulley alone. How much time does a pulley installation take?
Sorry i missed that you are the Rev-up guy.

We have yet to throw a CEL with our HFCs, and we do not expect to. However if for some reason you did we offer 02 extenders (aka non-foulers).

A pulley won't produce gains on the dyno, but you will notice it with the butt dyno. One of my favorite/easiest mods back in my NA days. The install is hard to say, I only recommend doing the crank pulley, the others are not worth the effort IMHO. When i installed mine, it literally took 45mins on jackstands, BUT some cars require a puller (its stuck on) and that means pulling the radiator to get a puller on the crank pulley. From what our customers have said, most "average mechanics" wont do the install or quote a insane amount because they assume they would have to use a puller and that requires removing the radiator.

We have a great price going on AMS lightweight crank pulleys if your interested LINK

As far as gears, yes they will give you a great off the line gain. BUT i typically do not suggest them due to decreased MPG and since they can become an issue if you ever go FI (shift into 5th in the 1/4, less traction etc). When I was NA I never convinced myself the hassle was worth the gains, however back then OE gear swaps were not available like today. It all depends on your goals now and future plans.

-Rob

Last edited by Z1Motorsports; 11-04-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Rob,

You and I will be doing business very soon. I do like your APS catback exhaust system. Maybe with the combo of HFC's it could equate to what would be the normal price for a comparable catback system alone.

I do like your engine management systems. But before that route I would want the car dyno'd and tuned at a local preferred shop which in fact when the time came would be from your recommendation.

I think the crank pulley would be a good route, your HFC's and catback, the MD plenum setup and eventually when I feel really saucy the engine management.

I'm getting goosebumps as we speak thinking about it. Do you sell custom kits to reprogram my wife so that she doesn't freak out when I start modding away?

Old 11-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
I don't know why people are mentioning HFC's and test pipes because you will lose low-end torque with those. Your best bets are: Gears, ART pipes, exhaust (and you need an X-pipe if it's true dual).

Old 11-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
DO NOT do a light weight crank pulley. You will see zero gains and they are not harmonically dampened so they can cause premature crank/ bearing failure. Unless you go with a dampened pulley by ATI or Fluidamper they are usually fairly expensive and the money would be better spent on some thing that gives you "real" gains.

Gears will give you the best low end feel by far, if you can find a used pumpkin from a G37 they are a 3.7FD not too steep so you will still have decent milage.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
EVerything I have read points towards gears also... There are lots bouncing around from car to car so just pick your moment. If you go over 3.7 I think the cruise starts running into issues. You'll undoubtedly see the thread where the guy was installing a 4.08 FD or something to that effect... worth a look because I think it gets into some extra details.

The Osiris tune is getting more and more popular as time passes... so I recommend that (I have one too and have seen what a competent tuner can do!) after you get your breather mods done. Can't speak for exhaust and HFCs for low end torque... off the dig I don't think anything is going to make more of a difference than the gears.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Sylvan lake V35
DO NOT do a light weight crank pulley. You will see zero gains and they are not harmonically dampened so they can cause premature crank/ bearing failure. Unless you go with a dampened pulley by ATI or Fluidamper they are usually fairly expensive and the money would be better spent on some thing that gives you "real" gains.
Have you ever actually seen bearing failure on a VQ running a lightweight pulley? I ran one on my personal car for 35k miles, reving to 7350rpm NA, then an additional 10k miles making 470+rwhp with no such bearing failures. It actually seems as if more bearing failures have been using the ATI pulley, (I believe cass was running ATI?) not knocking the product I just dont buy into it.

-Rob

Old 11-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Banned
Rob,

You and I will be doing business very soon. I do like your APS catback exhaust system. Maybe with the combo of HFC's it could equate to what would be the normal price for a comparable catback system alone.

I do like your engine management systems. But before that route I would want the car dyno'd and tuned at a local preferred shop which in fact when the time came would be from your recommendation.

I think the crank pulley would be a good route, your HFC's and catback, the MD plenum setup and eventually when I feel really saucy the engine management.

I'm getting goosebumps as we speak thinking about it. Do you sell custom kits to reprogram my wife so that she doesn't freak out when I start modding away?

Awesome man! Sorry I can't help with the wife lol
The APS exhaust is a great product, yet another product I ran for years, made great power NA (search youtube for z1 APS exhaust G35 for sound clips) I even ran it FI and finally maxed it out at 585rwhp and am now running their 3" version.

-Rob

Old 11-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 11-07-2011 at 10:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Z1Motorsports (11-07-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Sylvan lake V35

Gears will give you the best low end feel by far, if you can find a used pumpkin from a G37 they are a 3.7FD not too steep so you will still have decent milage.
^Amen to everything you said.

On my 5AT, the 3.54 gear swap didn't result in a major MPG drop. Around town, MPG is unchanged. On the highway, it's about a .5 to .7 mpg drop. A set of 3.7s would probably result in a drop of around 1mpg or so. That's more than worth it for the improved gearing. With a 6MT Revup, I wouldn't go any deeper than the 3.9s and even a set of 3.7s would feel good.

The following 2 users liked this post by DaveB:
mpugeda (04-30-2013), Sylvan lake V35 (11-05-2011)