Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

unichip available for G35 and 350Z

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't see that Neffster or KPierson have posted in a manner that can be successfully spun as hatefull, though calling out low post counts is a risk here, but one I see the rational behind. IMO, the two win the PR battle. Whereas the otherside has shown rather poorly. Not that I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to buy a ECU mod of anykind, to many other things are ahead of the line.

Old 01-08-2005, 05:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I been on this site for a while... i usually dont post because i have nothing to post about, i learned how a forum works, and that is to search, only post when needed, other than that there is no reason to start a topic or post a reply. I do all of my posting on www.v6p.net . I own a 98 Accord V6 Auto, and a G35C... both great cars, only if the honda came with a MA opposed to the slush box they provide you with. Anyways my point is that the products that have been presented have had proven gains on Accords, as well as other tested cars, I will soon be a future customer of UniChip and buy, once my vehicle gets to where it needs to get (FI)... i guess once i go into a forged, etc... I will get into the AEM EMS... but thats a whole other story... Dizzy and V6p.net people are cool, honest people and all you hear is good words, and praise, and i appreciate that from them.

-patrick

Old 01-09-2005, 04:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dastek.co.za appears to be the actual developer of the Unichip and Unichip.us is the US distributer. If you go to their UK website www.dasktek.co.uk, click on News, and the link for the 350Z, they state that they have gains of 10-14hp.

Old 01-09-2005, 08:30 AM
Actually, the claim that Unichip makes on the website about this being "revolutionary technology" is not really accurate. Dynojet has been making an exact system for motorcycles called the PowerCommander for many years. I know, I have one on my FJR1300. http://www.powercommander.com/featintro.shtml

The results of the PowerCommander are excellent. I had the tuninglink dyno mapping done on mine targeting 12.5:1 ratio and went from 121 RWHP SAE to 134. This amount of power pushing a 550 lb. vehicle is sick. The throttle response and power were definitely improved as well. Also being able to plug a USB cable from my laptop into my PC to load new maps is very slick. I have seasonal maps to adjust for temp/humidity and they do make a difference in power and fuel mileage. So, I would expect some good to come from the Unichip as well.

The big question is how the Unichip deals with the stock O2 sensor. On the PowerCommander, the O2 sensor is disconnected. This is to prevent the ECU from counteracting and tuning out the fuel map adjustments from the PC. On the BMW PC's, there is a wideband Bosch O2 sensor that comes with the kit and is designed to keep the ratios optimal. Does the Unichip come with new O2 sensors, or does it piggyback those too to fool the ECU into leaving the fuel adjustments alone?

The bottomline here is that the more modified your vehicle is, the more gains you can expect from these fuel map piggybacks. A stock vehicle probably wont see much performance difference other than maybe better throttle and smoother power curve.
But if you have intake, exhaust mods, this will definitely smooth out the ratios and make things better.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:20 AM
The bottom line is...that whatever everyone says the bottom line is doesn't matter until questions like the speed limiter questions and others are resolved. KPierson is not someone who makes stuff up or brags about his knowledge EVER and in my and the minds of MANY others on this forum, a purchase of this unachip will make sense in his eyes before it is ever considered worthwhile. For now I would say until these questions are answered without folks getting defensive, then sales will be low from this forum. Kprierson is the top dog of all that is ECU and VQ....I hope he sticks around to help us figure this maze out

Old 01-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by SixFive
The bottom line is...that whatever everyone says the bottom line is doesn't matter until questions like the speed limiter questions and others are resolved. KPierson is not someone who makes stuff up or brags about his knowledge EVER and in my and the minds of MANY others on this forum, a purchase of this unachip will make sense in his eyes before it is ever considered worthwhile. For now I would say until these questions are answered without folks getting defensive, then sales will be low from this forum. Kprierson is the top dog of all that is ECU and VQ....I hope he sticks around to help us figure this maze out
Hopefully we will find out soon one of your members was nice enough to contact me so we could start working out a deal for testing a UniChip on his car. UniChip

Old 01-09-2005, 03:22 PM
HKS has a device for eliminating the speed limiter and looks go be a piggy back unit, so I don't see why any piggy back unit couldn't do the same thing. However, given the high speed limit, I doubt many will ever get a chance to go beyond it.

Old 01-09-2005, 03:39 PM
I wasn't going to comment any more, but no one jumped on this line of logic and I thought that I'd "toss it out there".

People with Turbos (like the above WRX owner) apparently have heard of or experienced "good things" with the Unichip. A turbo application cannot fairly be compared with a NA set up, so for arguement sake we'll toss that one out. If the Unichip can advance or retard timing, or if it can "alter" or "change" fuel maps then there HAS TO BE a noticible increase (or decrease) in power. If that was the case a dyno would be able to notice the increase/decrease. Otherwise there is simply NO GAIN. You can't just add x% less fuel and not increase or decrease power. It doesn't work like that! If it did Nissan would have already remodeled the fuel maps to make the car have the SAME power and get better gas mileage.

Now... Unichip states that there will be no gains shown on a dyno, which leads me to believe that the effects of instaling a ~$900 box are purely placibo. (Kind of like the people who think they gain 15rwhp from a set of grounding wires.)

Finally, I offered to help donate my time and money and asked for a discount on a unichip product to help an authorized vendor of the UNICHIP piggyback sell product. This vendor was not a forum sponsor therefore this thread should have been closed a LONG TIME AGO! The person who would be responsible for giving me the discount came on here, attempted to belittle me and put me down for requesting a "reduced price" (all the while never answering my technical questions about the product that he/she sells). They then offered the discount after the slew of negative comments. Well kind sir, you can stick that UNICHIP where the sun doesn't shine as far as I'm concerned. I will NEVER recommend anyone do business with V6P.net or anyone who is associated with them. Now get off of this FORUM!!! You are no longer welcome here. Any type of rude response will be directly forwarded to the forum Moderators and YOU WILL BE BANNED!

Good day... I said GOOD DAY! -Fez...

Old 01-09-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by neffster
I wasn't going to comment any more, but no one jumped on this line of logic and I thought that I'd "toss it out there".

People with Turbos (like the above WRX owner) apparently have heard of or experienced "good things" with the Unichip. A turbo application cannot fairly be compared with a NA set up, so for arguement sake we'll toss that one out. If the Unichip can advance or retard timing, or if it can "alter" or "change" fuel maps then there HAS TO BE a noticible increase (or decrease) in power. If that was the case a dyno would be able to notice the increase/decrease. Otherwise there is simply NO GAIN. You can't just add x% less fuel and not increase or decrease power. It doesn't work like that! If it did Nissan would have already remodeled the fuel maps to make the car have the SAME power and get better gas mileage.

Now... Unichip states that there will be no gains shown on a dyno, which leads me to believe that the effects of instaling a ~$900 box are purely placibo. (Kind of like the people who think they gain 15rwhp from a set of grounding wires.)

Finally, I offered to help donate my time and money and asked for a discount on a unichip product to help an authorized vendor of the UNICHIP piggyback sell product. This vendor was not a forum sponsor therefore this thread should have been closed a LONG TIME AGO! The person who would be responsible for giving me the discount came on here, attempted to belittle me and put me down for requesting a "reduced price" (all the while never answering my technical questions about the product that he/she sells). They then offered the discount after the slew of negative comments. Well kind sir, you can stick that UNICHIP where the sun doesn't shine as far as I'm concerned. I will NEVER recommend anyone do business with V6P.net or anyone who is associated with them. Now get off of this FORUM!!! You are no longer welcome here. Any type of rude response will be directly forwarded to the forum Moderators and YOU WILL BE BANNED!

Good day... I said GOOD DAY! -Fez...
I dont know to who this was regarding but since I have been trying to answer the technical questions between this slew of comments by certain people, which was the only reason I came to this forum. I haven’t tried to push anyone to buy the UniChip, or any other products.

It would have been more appropriate to first find out who people are before you ask for things, or PM a request to purchase or do testing on a product rather then posting what you would like to see done. You will get much farther with a manufacturer in general if you are more cordial in your responses and tone.

I was waiting for a response from UniChip on the pricing in the mean time all of this "stuff" came up... I don't know why people are getting so worked up. This thread was supposed to be for Q&A so please keep any sort of negative feeling people have off this thread or if you feel the need please PM who ever it is you are having a problem with.

I do believe I answered all of your questions neffster a while ago if you missed it please go back, I sent and received an email specifically on your questions and posted it up. Yes this UniChip can retard and advance the timing on a car, and does show gains on the dyno. We will know more specific numbers later when a car is finally tested.

-Garrett

Old 01-09-2005, 08:58 PM
Maybe this thread should be closed out because it's obvious to me that several members of this forum are not capable of having a productive discussion with a vendor without flying off the handle, very unprofessional attitudes I am seeing. I don't know what your problems are with V6P and I REALLY DONT CARE, but all you are doing is hurting the forum and delaying our chances of really finding out what this product does. Thanks for wasting my time.

Now can we please try to stick to the original intent of this fuggin thread? If you want to debate V6P about how they run their company or whatnot please do it somewhere else, as it's OFF TOPIC HERE.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Where is Unichip located for we can get an actual volunteer? I'd still like to see if we can get more people to test this product out early on for everyone to see the results and come to their own conclusions.

I'll still be working with the tuner shop in my area to see if they'd like my car for testing when the product is released. The shop has a dyno and regularly does engine tuning. Some of their cars have even been seen on the cover of various import car magazines. Since I don't want to violate the vendor advertising rules or bias others, I will refrain from mentioning their name. I hope you'll trust me when I say they know what they're doing. I'll check in with them next week to see what the word on the release date is and work out the details.

Editor's Note: I am in no way affiliated with Unichip, V6P.net, or the local tuner shop, so I hope that's "independant" enough for most.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Garrett,

Who is the poor sucker you have 'buying' a Unichip from you? I find it funny that I had a personal phone conversation with Maruice (the owner and V6PMoMoney on V6P.net) and HE personally told me that V6P.net requires ALL vendors to provide FREE merchendise for testing purposes. So, either he is a liar or you are.

Speaking of Maurice, how would would he feel if Strictly Z went on www.VQperformance.net (A site launched by V6P.net to compete directly with this site and my350z.com) and started 'answering' questions about merchandise Strictly Z sells? If my memory serves me corectly I think I know what would happen:

1. All threads would be locked and removed from the site
2. Strictly Z would be contacted and told that there is a certain 'protocol' that V6P.net follows regarding advertising outside products on V6P.net

Like was said before, a lot of this 'hating' would disapear if V6P SPONSORED this site. Or is it against 'protocol' to sponsor the competition?

As far as being unprofessional - I feel it is EXTREMELY unprofessional to ask your members to visit COMPETING forums to post information about products you are pushing. (http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=44786) Brex himself stopped by here to 'inform' us of info on another product V6P was trying to market and if I remember right he got pretty much the same treatment as V6P is getting here.

Back on topic I spent some time today reading the ESM for the VQ motor. Speed is detected by the TCM/VDC/ABS module and transmitter via CAN signal to the ECU and combination meter. There would be NO way to eliminate the speed limiter with a piggyback, unless the piggyback tied into the CAN line. I wouldn't trust ANY piggyback tied into the CAN bus, as EVERYTHING in the car is on that bus and a bus failure would be fatel for the car. Tach is calculated directly by the ECU and transmitted to the combination meter via CAN also. You can 'trick' the ECU into thinking the RPM is not rising past 6800rpm. This of course has its own negative consequences.

As far as advancing timing goes you have to assume Nissan has tweaked the VQ motor for almost everything it has. Spending $800 on a piggyback to ADVANCE the timing on a NA motor to gain roughly 10HP and cut the longevity of your motor by 1/2 isn't a good investment in my book. The VQ is a high compression motor to begin with. Is advancing the timing on a high compression motor a good idea? Once you start advancing timing you might as well go with FI and retard timing. You will get better performance and have just as safe and reliable of a setup. The only time I would EVER consider advancing my timing is if I was doing some serious road racing in a class that required a NA motor.

What type of warranty does Unichip offer? Do they stand behind thier product? What is unichips policy on motors that are blown using Unichip to tune it? Is it possible to blow up a NA VQ35 with the Unichip attached? Does the Unichip have a failsafe mode that will allow the car to operate if the Unichip were to fail? How many Unichip tuners are there? Can anyone tune a unichip? Can I personally tune a unichip if I put on one my car?

Oh, and before any vendors respond please remember to SPONSOR our beloved site.

Old 01-10-2005, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by copbait
Maybe this thread should be closed out because it's obvious to me that several members of this forum are not capable of having a productive discussion with a vendor without flying off the handle, very unprofessional attitudes I am seeing. I don't know what your problems are with V6P and I REALLY DONT CARE, but all you are doing is hurting the forum and delaying our chances of really finding out what this product does. Thanks for wasting my time.

Now can we please try to stick to the original intent of this fuggin thread? If you want to debate V6P about how they run their company or whatnot please do it somewhere else, as it's OFF TOPIC HERE.
My frustrations might be getting the better of me, but I've been given information by a very well respected member and sponsor of this forum and have been asked to keep the specifics of this info. to myself. This is why my comments "might appear" to be wasting your time, however if you read KP's post above, I don't think your time has been wasted. A lot of good questions have been asked in the body of this thread and we have learned that V6P.net has LIED to us because they DO GET FREE product for testing. Which means that THEY CAN offer reduced pricing for INDEPENDENT VERIFICATION of their product. There are OTHER things V6P.net DEMANDS from the products they endorse/sell, but again, I'm not at liberty to share this info as of yet...

copbait- why don't you contact Unichip DIRECTLY if you're so interested in what this product is capable of doing. Have you ever considered that I might have already done that? Have you considered that I might not really be "Wasting your time" or "hurting the forum" as you state, but am simply trying to open Pandora’s Box on the unichip product itself? Again if I've offended any G35driver, long time members I'm sorry. I have a lot going on right now (establishing the Florida G35 Club is a lot of work) and my patients is running a bit thin. I have no beef w/ you what so ever, and I hope you can look past the tone I've displayed in this thread and absorb my intent. That intent is for the VQ35DE population to have good products brought forth by knowledgeable companies (who just happen to follow forum rules and pay Kyle for his time and efforts in running G35driver).

Last edited by neffster; 01-10-2005 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:49 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
We love you Todd and appreciate everything you do for the G35 driver community! Keep up all your hard work.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Neither of us are liars, Maurice was not aware that since UniChip has already done testing on their own cars that we will not be provided a free unit to test. As a result the only way to test a UniChip is to purchase one.

UniChip USA is located in Portland Oregon.

I have no problem with any site coming and answering questions about a product that they are strictly sells. If it is only sold on 1 site I would def want to know what it is and what it does. That is what an open forum is for to learn about new products and hopefully meet some new people. I did not come on here and start a sales pitch to sell anything. One of your members found our site and the product and I was told there where questions so I am doing a Q&A, which is what this thread was started for... I have already emailed your questions to UniChip and I am waiting for a response. Here are answers to a few of your questions.

There is a list of tuners that are located around the United States that have the tools needed to tune the UniChip, I will get the list so you can count how many tuners there are.

I am sure you can blow an engine up with a UniChip installed, I know people who have blown engines that are stock.

Only trained UniChip tuners should tune a UniChip.

You are going to need training and the equipment needed to tune your UniChip as well as a dyno.

-Garrett

Originally Posted by KPierson
Garrett,

Who is the poor sucker you have 'buying' a Unichip from you? I find it funny that I had a personal phone conversation with Maruice (the owner and V6PMoMoney on V6P.net) and HE personally told me that V6P.net requires ALL vendors to provide FREE merchendise for testing purposes. So, either he is a liar or you are.

Speaking of Maurice, how would would he feel if Strictly Z went on www.VQperformance.net (A site launched by V6P.net to compete directly with this site and my350z.com) and started 'answering' questions about merchandise Strictly Z sells? If my memory serves me corectly I think I know what would happen:

1. All threads would be locked and removed from the site
2. Strictly Z would be contacted and told that there is a certain 'protocol' that V6P.net follows regarding advertising outside products on V6P.net

Like was said before, a lot of this 'hating' would disapear if V6P SPONSORED this site. Or is it against 'protocol' to sponsor the competition?

As far as being unprofessional - I feel it is EXTREMELY unprofessional to ask your members to visit COMPETING forums to post information about products you are pushing. (http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=44786) Brex himself stopped by here to 'inform' us of info on another product V6P was trying to market and if I remember right he got pretty much the same treatment as V6P is getting here.

Back on topic I spent some time today reading the ESM for the VQ motor. Speed is detected by the TCM/VDC/ABS module and transmitter via CAN signal to the ECU and combination meter. There would be NO way to eliminate the speed limiter with a piggyback, unless the piggyback tied into the CAN line. I wouldn't trust ANY piggyback tied into the CAN bus, as EVERYTHING in the car is on that bus and a bus failure would be fatel for the car. Tach is calculated directly by the ECU and transmitted to the combination meter via CAN also. You can 'trick' the ECU into thinking the RPM is not rising past 6800rpm. This of course has its own negative consequences.

As far as advancing timing goes you have to assume Nissan has tweaked the VQ motor for almost everything it has. Spending $800 on a piggyback to ADVANCE the timing on a NA motor to gain roughly 10HP and cut the longevity of your motor by 1/2 isn't a good investment in my book. The VQ is a high compression motor to begin with. Is advancing the timing on a high compression motor a good idea? Once you start advancing timing you might as well go with FI and retard timing. You will get better performance and have just as safe and reliable of a setup. The only time I would EVER consider advancing my timing is if I was doing some serious road racing in a class that required a NA motor.

What type of warranty does Unichip offer? Do they stand behind thier product? What is unichips policy on motors that are blown using Unichip to tune it? Is it possible to blow up a NA VQ35 with the Unichip attached? Does the Unichip have a failsafe mode that will allow the car to operate if the Unichip were to fail? How many Unichip tuners are there? Can anyone tune a unichip? Can I personally tune a unichip if I put on one my car?

Oh, and before any vendors respond please remember to SPONSOR our beloved site.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: unichip available for G35 and 350Z