Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

unichip available for G35 and 350Z

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boy you guys are tough........

Old 01-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by SixFive
It's amazing how people want to slam anyone with a product unless they get it for free. Your help here has been enlightening and the little feature to hide unwanted posters from threads you read is very helpful.. I think it's in the control panel.
6-5, you have mail.

Here's a company that wanted to prove that their product made gains... look and see what they did

Here's a company that sells a $250 product that is a scam...
Direct Power System

I was willing to see if this Unichip was like the first company, or like the second company, that is all.

I only wanted to offer my time and money to help a company independently PROVE its product. If I asked for a reduced fee to compensate me for my time and money, what's the big deal? If they do not provide technical data and I don't support the company because of that, how do you consider that SLAMMING a company?

Last edited by neffster; 01-05-2005 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with neffster. If we have some volunteers who are willing to donate their time and efforts to an evaluation of the product, that's one of the best ways to give it a test ride. If the product provides some solid gains, is not a pain to install or get tuned, and the cost is within reason...then the vendor could sell a ton of them. Pretty basic.

Old 01-05-2005, 04:46 PM
what companies make chips for our cars

Old 01-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by InG35CopNaV
what companies make chips for our cars
Greddy - E-Manage
Stillen
Unichip

and TechnoSquare makes an ECU reflash...

Old 01-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Devil's Advocate
What's the story with the Stillen? Did they ever work out the bugs and make them available?

Old 01-05-2005, 07:43 PM
gme2001,

Can you get an answer as to whether the Unichip system works with the 2004.5 cars? Last I'd read, the code hadn't been cracked yet.

Thanks

Old 01-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by neffster
I was willing to see if this Unichip was like the first company, or like the second company, that is all.
That's great, and we appreciate your trying find those answers for us, but I don't think that justifies your sarcasm or the aggressive tone in which you have used in your posts. The guy that came here is not even from Unichip and is offering his time and contacts within Unichip that can get the answers you seek, so why don't you try a little tact and courtesy and it might even expedite getting the information you desire.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by 4DrSkyline
gme2001,

Can you get an answer as to whether the Unichip system works with the 2004.5 cars? Last I'd read, the code hadn't been cracked yet.

Thanks
From what I was told the UniChip works on all models even the 2004.5 I will email your specific question just to make sure.

-Garrett

Old 01-05-2005, 10:49 PM
jcv
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Copbait is right, gme2001 is just another enthusiast from V6Performance.He isn't a Unichip rep. V6 just looked at this for their forum members including G35 and 350Z.

Old 01-05-2005, 11:44 PM
G Kreuzer
I have heard of Unichip and they are indeed a legitament operation. I hadn't made any further comments any sooner because from what my recollection of what this box is capable of was in conflict with what statements made by some people I know. In particular, regarding ignition timing advancement, which I always thought it was capable of. So, I did a little bit more poking and as it turned out that is in fact the case. The Unichip is capable of advancing ignition timing, effectively setting itself apart from most other piggy back units (GReddy eManag, APEXi SAFC, Split Second, etc) ... short of stand alone EMS units.

I do think the Unitchip would make for a good alternative to direct ECU reprogramming. The ability to modify programs oneself (assuming end-users are able to obtain a copy of the editing tools) is unbeatable. That could spell more trouble for some, however. For those less informed, best leave the tuning part to the experts. The one thing any piggy back unit will never achieve is 100% accuracy in determining the exact engine load as predicted by the ECU. For that reason, stand alone EMS exists.

Again, I emphasize the ability to advance timing because that is where the majority of the untapped power is. While adjusting the AF curve into the desireable range of 12.5-13.2 can only do you more good than harm ... there's actually less power to be had than what some people might have been led to believe (for NA applications anyhow). By default, factory ignition timing strategies are always on the conservative side and for a very good reason. It minimizes cylinder detonations that otherwise devours pistons/engines. I have the TechnoSquare ECU and have both the AF (painstakingly) corrected and ignition timing advanced ... among other little things. The net result was approx. 10hp/10tq gain, so there no reason why the Unichip couldn't offer similar results. However, expecting signigicantly more gains than that, while not impossible for either solutions, is not advisable. As is, I'm already walking the fine line between stability and detonation on 91-octane pump gas. Engine reliability could be compromised if running too aggressive timing for the particular grade of fuel and for extended periods at a time.

Other possibilities w. the Unichip, which I personally think is way cool, would be the ability to play with variable intake valve timing. This is especially more useful for the '05 6mt people who also gains control of the exhaust valve timing. More top end power could be had there ... not so much by playing w. intake valves alone. Of course ... all of the above plus more could be altered via the ECU reflash as well.

Good luck for those testing this unit.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:47 AM
So painstaking AF tuning was required for the TS flash, THX723? That's one reason some may be concerned that they can't really glean even 10hp without going in and getting on a dyno for our complex permuation of mods. This may be great for stock only while modders may want to wait this out for a while. GME perhaps if you put one on one of our cars proved it works without testing the person would pay 50% of the cost while it's on the dyno and tell of the great results here. You do have a lot to overcome with those prices and lack of reputation. Are getting commissions from sales of unichips for other manufacturer's cars?

Old 01-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by SixFive
Are getting commissions from sales of unichips for other manufacturer's cars?
Are you asking me if I get a commission? As I said before, I am not paid or compensated for anything I do with V6P or any other manufacturer. I have been helping out at V6P for over a year and I haven’t been paid once. I have actually spent personal money as well as countless hours to help get things done and I don’t expect to be paid back. I have a full time job which is in the bicycle industry. V6P is like my time off to have fun and do things with cars and other people who love the same thing I do, cars.

-Garrett

What is the stock whp on a G35?

Old 01-06-2005, 11:00 AM
yo Garrett what up it's Scott. Garrett isn't doin this for personal gain, I've been a member of v6performance for a long time and when people wanna have a meet or something. Garretts the one setting it up. He's just doing this to inform us of the unichip which imo works better than the others I read about. If I had more mods to my car I'd add the unichip in my car....

Old 01-06-2005, 11:20 AM
Which year and model?

"I have a full time job which is in the bicycle industry. V6P is like my time off to have fun and do things with cars and other people who love the same thing I do, cars."

So the manufacturer should step up, your comments may be useful but we need a real representive apparently if we are going to get some answers or testing. 895 bucks is a lot so don't be too surprised if people are pretty skeptical. Let the guy you field questions for know we are extremely interested if they can show us the money on a project car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: unichip available for G35 and 350Z