Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

unichip available for G35 and 350Z

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know who your source is but they are wrong, I wish V6P had the ability to demand the kind of agreements you are talking about. Manufactures and companies in general, do not take demands especially if you are the one asking them for product development, unless you are as big as NOPI. Before you say things you should make sure that this person is not just telling you things they think they know.

Sorry you are stressed about getting your club together, I wish you the best on its continued success. Please get on our Florida chapter our members like going to local meets.

-Garrett

Originally Posted by neffster
My frustrations might be getting the better of me, but I've been given information by a very well respected member and sponsor of this forum and have been asked to keep the specifics of this info. to myself. This is why my comments "might apperar" to be waisting your time, however if you read KP's post above, I don't think your time has been wasted. A lot of good questons have been asked in the body of this thread and we have learned that V6P.net has LIED to us because they DO GET FREE product for testing. Which means that THEY CAN offer reduced pricing for INDEPENDENT VERIFICATION of their product. There are OTHER things V6P.net DEMANDS from the products they endorse/sell, but again, I'm not at liberty to share this info as of yet...

copbait- why don't you contact Unichip DIRECTLY if you're so interested in what this product is capable of doing. Have you ever considered that I might have already done that? Have you considered that I might not really be "Wasting your time" or "hurting the forum" as you state, but am simply trying to open pandora's box on the unichip product itself? Again if I've offended any G35driver, long time members I'm sorry. I have a lot going on right now (establishing the Florida G35 Club is a lot of work) and my patients is running a bit thin. I have no beef w/ you what so ever, and I hope you can look past the tone I've displayed in this thread and absorb my intent. That intent is for the VQ35DE population to have good products brought forth by knowledgable companies (who just happen to follow forum rules and pay Kyle for his time and efforts in running G35driver).

Old 01-10-2005, 11:02 AM
Garret said: "I did not come on here and start a sales pitch to sell anything".

Then why would you take it personally if he or anyone else has questions or even disses the product or the seller or the manufacturer. Why would you be caling your self the middle man and assisting the v6 site owner in making inroads for selling or introducing the product on other sites? Maybe I am missing too much or need a reread of the thread to figure through all the relationships but, there is an apparent conflict of interest here and all the answers dont add up in my mind.

Some respected members here are asking some very good questions and should not be dissuaded by other members who can benefit from vetting this vendors intentions. Working product or not, I am not going to buy from a vendor who muscles onto a board with a seeming low level of knowledge and can't answer the technical questions our more intelligent, informed and reputatable members ask and hasn't even sponsored the site! Kpierson's allusion to a pandora's box seems credible. There are issues with the product. I can't believe Unichip hasn't ponied up one unit for testing on some G somewhere to proove the naysayers wrong. Maybe the results suck and there's nothing to show? - proove us wrong - defensiveness kills sales Something isn't adding up here.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:25 AM
I did not call myself a middle man. I was called a middle man. As a result I quoted that I was "the middle man". A lot has been missed and miss informed. I take some things personally because I came to try and help answer questions and I have received more accusations then anything else. Some people are giving good questions that I do not know the answers to but as I stated any question I did not have an answer for I would contact UniChip about and get an answer. I am sorry if my knowledge in this area is not that great but since people wanted someone to help answer questions I felt I would at least try to help answer a few questions.

I do not care if anyone “disses” the UniChip it is their opinion, like I said in the beginning of this thread that all products should be questioned when results are done by any manufacturer. I personally don’t think the UniChip is a perfect product it does have its flaws. I can’t go and get my car retuned by just anyone as a result I am currently stuck with my current modifications. I would like to do a CL-S cam swap and make a custom 10psi boost pulley for my car so I can try to get 300whp out of it but it would require me to drive up to Sacramento from San Jose un-tuned which could result in detonation. However at the time it was the best option for my car.

Originally Posted by SixFive

Then why would you take it personally if he or anyone else has questions or even disses the product or the seller or the manufacturer. Why would you be caling your self the middle man and assisting the v6 site owner in making inroads for selling or introducing the product on other sites? Maybe I am missing too much or need a reread of the thread to figure through all the relationships but, there is an apparent conflict of interest here and all the answers dont add up in my mind.

Some respected members here are asking some very good questions and should not be dissuaded by other members who can benefit from vetting this vendors intentions. Working product or not, I am not going to buy from a vendor who muscles onto a board with a seeming low level of knowledge and can't answer the technical questions our more intelligent, informed and reputatable members ask and hasn't even sponsored the site! Kpierson's allusion to a pandora's box seems credible. There are issues with the product. I can't believe Unichip hasn't ponied up one unit for testing on some G somewhere to proove the naysayers wrong. Maybe the results suck and there's nothing to show? - proove us wrong - defensiveness kills sales Something isn't adding up here.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gme2001
I don't know who your source is but they are wrong, I wish V6P had the ability to demand the kind of agreements you are talking about.

So once again you are calling Maurice a liar? He personally told me that ALL vendors are required to supply free products for R&D. If Unichip provided free units for the Honda Accord (as you stated above) why in the world would they NOT provide free units for the VQ motor? The products are completely different from a R&D stand point and the product needs to be thoroughly tested on both cars.....

If V6P.net has been working with Unichip for so long there has to be someone in the V6P.net technical department who should be able to answer at least 95% of our questions.

However, knowing that special hardware/software is required to program the Unichip I think the asking price should be no more then $500. For $800 I would expect to be able to plug my laptop in and make changes as I drive down the road. I've been around enough to know that nothing is free. If I decide I need a little more fuel up top I'm going to be forced to go to a unichip dealer to have it adjusted. At $80-120 an hour that becomes very expensive (and most shops have 1 or 2 hour mins).

Also, I'm assuming V6P.net will only sell the unichip and not program it? If we have to take it to an authorized programmer why in the world wouldn't we just go to the authorized dealer from the beginning and get all the information we need and just buy it from them? Product prices are usually similar but most shops are willing to throw in dyno time for either free or at least a reduced rate. I've also found that people will take better care of you if you buy products from them. NO shop likes guys who buy a ton of stuff off of the internet and then bring it to them to install/tune it. When I used to work at Circuit City we charged an arm and a leg to install anything not bought at our store.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gme2001
so I can try to get 300whp out of it but it would require me to drive up to Sacramento from San Jose un-tuned which could result in detonation. However at the time it was the best option for my car.

You just proved my theory. I would be PISSED if I paid $800 for a product and was in the position you are in. At least with TS we could overnight it and only be down for 3 days. There are numerous piggy backs out that are cheaper (greddy, split second) and they can be programmed by anyone with a laptop. You should look into installing one of these on your car. Who would spend that sort of money on a piggyback to be in the exact same position they were in 6 moths earlier (ECU is not tuned for current mods)? The G35 owners who mod thier cars don't do it all at once. Typically cars are pieced together piece by piece. Have a product like a unichip would almost be more of a hinderance then a benefit. However, with $800 missing from my wallet at least my car will be lighter....

Old 01-10-2005, 11:57 AM
And I wonder who in my area can properly tune a unichip? For the major money and then tuning headaches and possible detonation from advanced timing - this thing is headed straight to the bottom of the list behind the pedestrian taser launcher for my grill! For 800 + + + bucks headers and some exhaust upgrades can get me over 20 hp. Can't someone give TS a good run for competition?

Old 01-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Are you not reading my posts in reguards to your conversation with Maurice? I understand that is what you where told however he has not been in contact with UniChip about the new UniChip for the G35 and 350Z.

The UniChip comes pre programed for your engine modifications. At this time they only have exhaust and intake tested. You can also send in your UniChip for a free reprograming for any program we have for your car.

The reason we where able to get the "free" units for the Accord was the fact that they use our cars for testing at their facility. Which means we had to drive to UniChip's facility and leave our cars with them for up to a month so they could do their testing. In the case of the 350Z and the G35, UniChip decided to use either someone local to them or they purchased a test car to use. As a result we do not get any free units for testing. You are assume too much. Until someone else that knows more about the UniChip gets on here or until school and work gets too busy for me, I will do my best to answer questions people have.

-Garrett

Originally Posted by KPierson
So once again you are calling Maurice a liar? He personally told me that ALL vendors are required to supply free products for R&D. If Unichip provided free units for the Honda Accord (as you stated above) why in the world would they NOT provide free units for the VQ motor? The products are completely different from a R&D stand point and the product needs to be thoroughly tested on both cars.....

If V6P.net has been working with Unichip for so long there has to be someone in the V6P.net technical department who should be able to answer at least 95% of our questions.

However, knowing that special hardware/software is required to program the Unichip I think the asking price should be no more then $500. For $800 I would expect to be able to plug my laptop in and make changes as I drive down the road. I've been around enough to know that nothing is free. If I decide I need a little more fuel up top I'm going to be forced to go to a unichip dealer to have it adjusted. At $80-120 an hour that becomes very expensive (and most shops have 1 or 2 hour mins).

Also, I'm assuming V6P.net will only sell the unichip and not program it? If we have to take it to an authorized programmer why in the world wouldn't we just go to the authorized dealer from the beginning and get all the information we need and just buy it from them? Product prices are usually similar but most shops are willing to throw in dyno time for either free or at least a reduced rate. I've also found that people will take better care of you if you buy products from them. NO shop likes guys who buy a ton of stuff off of the internet and then bring it to them to install/tune it. When I used to work at Circuit City we charged an arm and a leg to install anything not bought at our store.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:56 PM
You just proved my theory. I would be PISSED if I paid $800 for a product and was in the position you are in. At least with TS we could overnight it and only be down for 3 days. There are numerous piggy backs out that are cheaper (greddy, split second) and they can be programmed by anyone with a laptop. You should look into installing one of these on your car. Who would spend that sort of money on a piggyback to be in the exact same position they were in 6 moths earlier (ECU is not tuned for current mods)? The G35 owners who mod thier cars don't do it all at once. Typically cars are pieced together piece by piece. Have a product like a unichip would almost be more of a hinderance then a benefit. However, with $800 missing from my wallet at least my car will be lighter....
Well I wouldn’t say I am pissed I needed the UniChip so my car would pass smog in California and it was very clean. I had one of the cleanest running cars the State run smog facility had tested. True about your wallet being lighter it is an expensive product but for those who just want their car tuned for the mods they have and be able to simply remove their unit before going into their dealership is a very nice thing to be able to do. It all depends on what you want to do with your car.

-Garrett

Old 01-10-2005, 01:01 PM
And I wonder who in my area can properly tune a unichip? For the major money and then tuning headaches and possible detonation from advanced timing - this thing is headed straight to the bottom of the list behind the pedestrian taser launcher for my grill! For 800 + + + bucks headers and some exhaust upgrades can get me over 20 hp. Can't someone give TS a good run for competition?
Here is an old list I found of the tuners and dealers; also I would get a pedestrian squirt gun. A guy on V6P made one by using his windshield wiper pump and he mounted it right bellow the "H" on his grill.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:03 PM
Here are some Q&A videos V6P made to answer questions this should help for those who have questions.

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...7&postcount=15

Old 01-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

I could not agree more.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:29 PM
http://www.unichip.us/where_to_buy.asp

Tells you who your closest dealer is

Old 01-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Maurice said to give him a call 916-479-2954 so he can talk to you about what you think you understood about the UniChip discussion, you had with him.

-Garrett

Old 01-10-2005, 04:42 PM
For the person who wanted to know about warrenty issues.

"The warranty is on the website for all to read.

- There’s nothing in the tuning remotely dangerous or which could result in blowing up a normally aspirated engine; if the engine fails, and if it had the correct map for the bolt-on modifications, it won’t be because the engine was mistuned. Beyond that, the warranty is on the website.

- There is no fail safe mode, you simply disconnect the PnP harness… on the G35 that takes about 5 minutes. Over the life of the computer, the failure rate is less than 2%."

Old 01-10-2005, 05:47 PM
we had the unichip for years in the world of wrx's. it's just another piggyback that alters the input's to the ecu. i'm not sure about the infiniti ecu's, but the subaru ecu is very very adaptive in regards to fuel and timing maps, both to increase performance under ideal situations and preserve the engine under not ideal situations. with such an adaptive ecu, it had a way of "learning" around the unichip unless it was tuned 100% perfectly and required frequent ecu resets.

what would be a good form of engine management would be refashing similar to EcuTek or Cobb (only available for subaru's) or an interceptor like the TXS UTEC or Torque Chip XEDE (both still piggyback's but much more comprehensive and reliable).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: unichip available for G35 and 350Z