Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

VQ35/37 swap into R34 GTR, and keeping AWD - need info!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VQ35/37 swap into R34 GTR, and keeping AWD - need info!

Hi all,

just trying to get some good info on these engines because i'm contemplating putting one into my R34 GTR.

It doesn't seem like anyone has done this before, although there is a very high profile build on at the moment for the WTAC series, (r32 gtr with VQ35de i believe), but that's started only recently.

Basically i'm just after some info regarding what these engines are like. Coming from the classic RB26DETT with years and years of R&D, plus being pretty bullet proof it built right, i'm not sure how the newer gen VQ's stack up.

Firstly, is there major enough differences between the 35 and 37 that would make me not consider the 35? I'm assuming the 35 will be cheaper and more easily available.

What are these engines like from a reliability point of view when twin turbo'd? If i do the swap, it will DEFINITELY be TT and i know there are kits for both, but how has the reliability been like when the TT additions have been done?

There seems to be some stroker kits getting around as well, have there been good results with these with respects to power and reliability?

What sort of power are these engines making with the TT kits? I have a feeling my current turbo's (HKS 2530's, very similar to Garrett -5's) might be a decent match with a VQ - currently the car makes 400rwkw on E85 (bout 536whp)

As the car will definitely not be goin rwd, and the awd will be staying, i'm guessing i could only be looking at the G35/37x variants that Nissan released?

And how strong/reliable have the 6 spd gearboxes proved to be? The getrags in the R34's are pretty damn solid and will take A LOT of power, but i'm thinking i'll prob have to use a 6spd from the G35/37. Are there strengthening kits available?

I know there will be a bit of work with bell housings and what not (and perhaps a little wiring ) but i'm thinking with the extra displacement, the weight savings, the variable came timing (and whatever that new funky VVEL is) plus sitting it further back in the engine bay... it could make for a fantastic package in the R34 GTR if the AWD is kept.

Definitely will be run on E85, and i'd imagine being new spec engines, the compression would be quite a bit higher than the 26, so with a TT kit i would hope for some decent numbers, maybe around the 450wkw mark (600whp)

So yeah, i know that's a lot of questions, but i don't have any experience with the VQ engines but they seem to be quite renowned (awards and what-not) so i'm keen to see what the modifications experiences have been like

cheers,

Old 04-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Received 300 Likes on 192 Posts
VQ35 into R34 = Tercel motor into a supra.

Why would you even entertain that thought? An LS swap would be much higher on the list than the G35 motor.

The following 2 users liked this post by Pepper:
Frankieg35 (04-30-2012), jdm-v35 (05-22-2015)
Old 04-25-2012, 12:54 PM
well it would definitely be TT, so i thought V8 and TT would be pushing it space wise?
and the new VQ's have all the newer tech the RB's don't, plus lighter and more displacement.

if i were to build the 26 again, it would go to at least 2.8 or 3.0 and if i really went all out, i'd add HKS Vcam, but if you're going to do all that, i thought a lighter V6 with the extra displacement and variable cam timing already would be the go.

I thought that VQ series of engines were quite good?

Old 04-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Vq30det > vq35

Old 04-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hmm... Well the 3.5 de doesn't have variable intake and exhaust, but has been around longer than the hr and 3.7... So, better aftermarket.
So it is a trade off, if you are looking at those. The 4.0 truck blocks are getting more popular, with the top end of the smaller motors.

As far as reliability, its tough to say cause everyone's car is setup differently.

As far as I know. The g35, g37, m35, m37, are the only longitudinal layout awd models. And they only come in auto transmission, so unless you are looking to do a lot of fab work to make the new 6 speed work with awd, I'd look into making your existing granny and awd work on the vq instead

Also as mentioned before. An ls motor is always preferred, if you want to keep Nissan I'd suggest the vq30dett... Depending on year it has a lot of newer options such as variable valving and such.

Good luck keep us posted

Old 04-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Keep the R34 trans because the G never had 6MT plus AWD available. Probably easier to have a bell housing fabricated than to mate a transfer case to the manual trans.

Engine wise, I would use the HR/G37 engine. The block is built differently and can potentially handle more boost than the VQ35.

Or you can quit playing around an use the R35 engine as it's a turbo engine from the factory.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:16 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
The VQ37HR motor is much stronger but I wouldn't push 600 whp without building w/ forged internals. 500-550 is the max you would safely push it. The VQ35DE is known to be safe around the 400whp mark but beyond that its a guessing game how long it will last without building it.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
The vq motor has weak rods so you wont be pushing a lot of power with out some forged internals.I think im at the limit with the stock block at 427whp and 434rwt but i have been running FI for a lot of miles.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by r34skyline
Hi all,

just trying to get some good info on these engines because i'm contemplating putting one into my R34 GTR.

It doesn't seem like anyone has done this before, although there is a very high profile build on at the moment for the WTAC series, (r32 gtr with VQ35de i believe), but that's started only recently.

Basically i'm just after some info regarding what these engines are like. Coming from the classic RB26DETT with years and years of R&D, plus being pretty bullet proof it built right, i'm not sure how the newer gen VQ's stack up.

Firstly, is there major enough differences between the 35 and 37 that would make me not consider the 35? I'm assuming the 35 will be cheaper and more easily available.

What are these engines like from a reliability point of view when twin turbo'd? If i do the swap, it will DEFINITELY be TT and i know there are kits for both, but how has the reliability been like when the TT additions have been done?

There seems to be some stroker kits getting around as well, have there been good results with these with respects to power and reliability?

What sort of power are these engines making with the TT kits? I have a feeling my current turbo's (HKS 2530's, very similar to Garrett -5's) might be a decent match with a VQ - currently the car makes 400rwkw on E85 (bout 536whp)

As the car will definitely not be goin rwd, and the awd will be staying, i'm guessing i could only be looking at the G35/37x variants that Nissan released?

And how strong/reliable have the 6 spd gearboxes proved to be? The getrags in the R34's are pretty damn solid and will take A LOT of power, but i'm thinking i'll prob have to use a 6spd from the G35/37. Are there strengthening kits available?

I know there will be a bit of work with bell housings and what not (and perhaps a little wiring ) but i'm thinking with the extra displacement, the weight savings, the variable came timing (and whatever that new funky VVEL is) plus sitting it further back in the engine bay... it could make for a fantastic package in the R34 GTR if the AWD is kept.

Definitely will be run on E85, and i'd imagine being new spec engines, the compression would be quite a bit higher than the 26, so with a TT kit i would hope for some decent numbers, maybe around the 450wkw mark (600whp)

So yeah, i know that's a lot of questions, but i don't have any experience with the VQ engines but they seem to be quite renowned (awards and what-not) so i'm keen to see what the modifications experiences have been like

cheers,
Well zfever in Tampa Florida makes an adapter plate for a vq motor to an rb transmission that way you don't have to face all the bell housing issues its custom made so they are the only ones who sell it . It cost about $1100 but I believe its well worth it ..it saves tons of headaches

Old 05-22-2015, 11:46 AM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by yghickg35
Well zfever in Tampa Florida makes an adapter plate for a vq motor to an rb transmission that way you don't have to face all the bell housing issues its custom made so they are the only ones who sell it . It cost about $1100 but I believe its well worth it ..it saves tons of headaches
I think it's a little too late for this suggestion :P

Old 05-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Oops sorry man I forget sometimes to read the date but did you ever get to finish the build it sounds like a really good one

Old 05-22-2015, 02:19 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Robbing the grave