Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Motordyne Plenum Spacer Vs Crawford V5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do u guys have a completely stock dyno? i just want an overall comparison.

Old 01-27-2005, 11:17 PM
Questions:

1/4" & Stock Plenum--- Hp Increase ?? Torque Increase ??
3/8" & Stock Plenum--- Hp Increase ?? Torque Increase ??
1/2" & Stock Plenum--- Hp Increase ?? Torque Increase ??

Do you plan on selling 1 spacer of the optimum configuration or will all 3 be available?
Do you need the Crawford plenum or will stock plenum work fine?

Old 01-28-2005, 12:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh yeah, is the spacer slanted or is it the same thickness all around?

Old 01-28-2005, 12:47 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but if your using the stock plenum then will this mod be something easily detected by a dealership service department? Or will they have to do diagnostic testing in order to find out that any type of mod exsists? Because if this is for the most part undetectable then you can count me in on one as well...Thanks

Old 01-28-2005, 04:12 AM
Im gonna have to call bs on these results, I am surprised nobody has questioned the numbers. The crawford plenum is basically a spaced out plenum, so why the hp difference? The only thing that I can think of is that the angle of the factory plenum is the optimal angle for induction. Other than that, the two products are exactly the same; one just has more aluminum.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:49 AM
i have the kinetix plenum V4 right now, and ive had no problems at all with it, but have always thought i should of gotten more power, the stock plenum can not be too bad, it does prob have optimal flow patterns, i wanna try it out... ill be dynoing after i get my headers installed, and i have stillen cold air box, and a injen cold air intake that im going to switch back and forth to see which is really better on my car, and now ill do this too.... Its not gonna be for a while but if i can get one of these spacers i will def. get some dyno numbers up here too... im so very curious to get my hands on one of these ..... i think i saw a group buy is in the making....

another thing, would this work my my kinetix plenum as well?

Old 01-28-2005, 07:41 AM
Very interesting. I was about to order the new crawford cast plenum..but i may just wait a bit now.

Old 01-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by SteveAreno
Im gonna have to call bs on these results, I am surprised nobody has questioned the numbers. The crawford plenum is basically a spaced out plenum, so why the hp difference? The only thing that I can think of is that the angle of the factory plenum is the optimal angle for induction. Other than that, the two products are exactly the same; one just has more aluminum.
I question that also, but since the spacer is equal length all around, it raises the entire plenum allowing more volume of air.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the CV5 only lift the lower part of the penum to get "even" flow? thus, only raising the volume for the lower half?

More volume with the spacers may explain the increased whp?...

Old 01-28-2005, 01:40 PM
Hmm...

Before everyone runs out and buys the spacer, have a look at this:
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...hreadid=107960

The Crawford guys stacked up a buncha stock steel plenum gaskets
and created the same effect as the spacer.

They claim there is no HP gain.

I think it'd be nice if Hydrazine and Co. tested the spacer on another,
stock G35.

Old 01-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyG35
Hmm...

Before everyone runs out and buys the spacer, have a look at this:
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...hreadid=107960

The Crawford guys stacked up a buncha stock steel plenum gaskets
and created the same effect as the spacer.

They claim there is no HP gain.

I think it'd be nice if Hydrazine and Co. tested the spacer on another,
stock G35.
This is exactly why it's always better to wait for a few 3rd party dynos to come in before buying a mod. Never trust the manufactuers dynos. Never. The Dynapack is brake dyno and power numbers can be easily influenced by the operator. I'm not saying the guys with Motordyne are trying to trick anyone, but more often than not, the manufactuer is going to make their product look fantastic and often the gains are often too good to true.

It's always interested me about these plenums because Nissan tech papers about the OEM G/Z intake manifold are pretty interesting. These manifolds attain 100% volumetric efficency through most of the rev range and at 5600rpms, the manifold actually attains 105% volumetric efficency. It's pretty amazing really because most OEM intake manifolds aren't remotely as efficent. I hope to God that the guys at Crawford, Kintex, etc are not solely going off of what the plelum looks like (ie restrictive) and that they've actually verified a rich conditon in the forward cylinders with flow bench testing because I can tell you a lot of late model automotive components look terribly restrictive, but aren't. Intake and exhaust velocity are paramount and messing with that can be far more restrictive and deterimental to performance. If you make an NA intake or exhaust too open, you cause turbulence and kill the air velocity ultimately kill your performance. The car becomes doggish in the low to midrange and finally wakes up in the topend where the performance is relatively useless. Remember, a G35 at WOT spends most of it's time accelerating in the 4300rpms-5800rpms, not 5800-6500rpms. If you kill midrange power, you'll kill the cars performance. Increasing power under curve is ALWAYS better than increasing power in the topend for 600rpms.

Last edited by DaveB; 01-28-2005 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:50 PM
I am a skeptical person in general when it comes to all things. Therefore naturally i will be skeptical about any/all aftermarket products.
#1) The engineer's who design cars, are engineer's for a reason, and I highly doubt any of the 'engineers' who design aftermarket parts qualify in terms of certification, experience etc. HOWEVER, manufacturer's do sometimes overlook things to save space or to make things fit. Not many manufacturer's build their designs from the engine outward, rather I feel they choose a external shell then build inwards.
2) I notice alot of people who are into aftermarket technology assume these engineers know nothing about cars and have not quite 'tuned' the car to its potential, thereby reinforcing their beliefs to go aftermarket and alot of it comes from putting trust into these companies (myself included to some extent).
3) I do believe that car manufacturers skimp on parts/quality on alot of levels for cost savings reasons as well as assembly line efficiency (ie. aftermarket stereo systems almost always sound better than stock)
4) But on alot of other levels I believe that most of us on this forum, want to get the most out of our G, meaning every last ounce of HP available (again myself included) OR just want to look different from ALL the rest (kinda the goth approach to cars - standing out from the rest of society makes you unique) but some few 'convince' themselves of power output based on a manufacturer's claims or based on what they think/want their car to have, not thinking of the consequences nor long term affects.
5) Aftermarket manufacturer's know people like us WILL spend the money regardless whether the product actually puts out HP or not. The aftermarket scene is more or less saturated except parts for new cars which arent yet developed/tested. And when all is said and done, the thing all or most manufacturer's think about is ??? PROFIT and REVENUE.

In summary, the auto maufacturer's provide a 4-5 year 40-60k mile warranty. But I dont know of any aftermarket company who will attempt to fix any car even if a problem arises as a DIRECT result of the part.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, we need more dynos to compare with the stock plenum. But...given the dynos that they've done so far, they have been comparing to another aftermarket plenum and not the stock. So they've shown, within some possible dyno error, they they are making more power than another aftermarket plenum in the top RPMs. That's the comparison. If some people have seen definite gains with the aftermarket plenum (vs. stock), then the spacer should be slightly better with the same mod configuation that was tested.
Maybe the slope does have some kind of purpose--other than just fitting under the hood or allowing for a strut bar to fit easily. Maybe that's why the results were noticeable with just a 1/4" spacer. I'm not sure, but I'm sure open.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:36 PM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Steve, I can assure you that the numbers were not fabricated. I can email you the excel file if you'd like. Like I said in the original post, we think the spacer may be directing the air above the lower plenum's imperfections. The Crawford helps by evening out the air flow distribution. Keep in mind this is just speculation.

I'm just another car enthusiast. Anyone who met me at the Church Dyno Day in Sept can tell you that. I see that you're in Santa Monica. I actually work at Santa Monica Hospital. I'll even meet up with you to talk cars, and you can check out the spacer. No vendor or biased tester would go that far. I always welcome a chance to talk power gains with another gearhead.

Old 01-28-2005, 06:14 PM
The slope on the factory plenum is ideally needed to maintain the air velocity as it comes out of the top of the plenum, immediately following the post-TB "neck" of the plenum. The volume is decresed so that the air velocity is maintained. THis may be part of the reason why the Kinetix plenum had slightly better dyno results than the Crawford V3, at least acoording to one dyno test that i am aware of.

I would strongly disagree with you that these numbers are BS. Knowing Tony, there is just no way that they would fabicate these results. He has been a member of these boards for a long time and is highly respected by me as well as many others. I would be a little careful. Now, saying that the results have yet to be confirmed independently by others is another thing.... I am fairly certain that they will be...

Old 01-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Thanks Gurgen and E_K.

I can assure everyone that the test was the real deal. I am absolutely serious when I say I had no intention or expectation or even a hope that the 1/4" spacer would out perform a V5.

But it did. And even when we were standing in the dyno shop looking the results on the screen I commented to Albert the the results were so good that I knew I would get several calls of BS. And I understand it too. I would be skeptical too but I saw it with my own eyes.

And it was repeatable too!!!!!!!!

PS I will reply to everyones questions. It's my fault for not having a website yet but that problem is being fixed real quick!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Motordyne Plenum Spacer Vs Crawford V5