Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Motordyne Plenum Spacer Vs Crawford V5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 07:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
now the only question that remains for me is:

which one makes the most power 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch, or 1/2 inch?

Old 01-28-2005, 07:18 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knowing
Tony, there is just no way that they would fabicate these results. He
has been a member of these boards for a long time and is highly respected
by me as well as many others.
I second that! Plus, if you did the runs at Churches Automotive, how more independent can you get? Shawn Church is not affiliated with Motodyne at all. I know him personally.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:51 PM
I have to admit its almost 'too good to be true' but you all saw my name on the group buy!! I am willing to pay and test it out!! Am actually pretty anxious!!

Old 01-28-2005, 09:12 PM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Just to add to the objective nature of the tests, all of the runs were done by Shawn Church himself. He sat in the car for all of the tests, did the work on the keyboard, had the ECU scanner in his other hand, basically was the one man show with the tests. The coolant was warmed up to the same temp. All Hydrazine and I did during that time was stand and watch the numbers on the screen.

It would be physically impossible for me to influence the numbers just standing there. If I could somehow do this, I would have made 300 HP. I know that Shawn has no vested interest in either config. In fact, he was very surprised by how much higher the 3rd gear numbers were compared to the 4th gear ones. He expected a 2-3 HP difference at best. The Crawford is a good product. Hydrazine's spacer is also good. That's why I'm running both now.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:28 PM
hey E_K, any more dynos planned? are you going to finish the planned ones? such as spacer + v5 and the larger spacers?

Old 01-28-2005, 10:32 PM
E_K
Originally Posted by nuttyprof
hey E_K, any more dynos planned? are you going to finish the planned ones? such as spacer + v5 and the larger spacers?
I want to do two dynoes with the spacer and Crawford. One back at Church Automotive, and one on the dynojet in Reseda. But I'm looking at $150 for the dynos, and I'm quite broke right now.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:45 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I'm not calling BS or trying to bad mouth these guys. I've just been modifying cars for nearly 10 years now and I've got "taken" a few times and believed what I read on the internet. I am a bit of a pessimist....for good reason I hope to God this thing does work as good as the dynos suggest because I'd be much more willing to go with this setup over an aftermarket plenum because it would look factory and it's cheaper plus it might make more power. My primary concern is how well it seals with gaskets on either side. I hope it stays metal because it will be a much better material for trueness.

Old 01-29-2005, 01:21 AM
Any info on how this spacer would work with the kinetix plenum? I have this plenum, either way im going to get the spacer... i have access to a dyno hear on Long Island for fairly cheap, cheaper than anywhere else ive seen, if people in the NY area are down to do some test we can get $50 three-four runs at night time with a group as small as 5 of us.... cheaper with more peole too....

I just havent seen anything discussed about this and the kinetix plenum.... also would a 3/8" spacer fit with the kinetix, if so thats what i want for my group buy....

Old 01-29-2005, 02:03 AM
Sorry, bad choice of words. I meant that there has to be some sort of bias because the two parts are simply serving the same purpose. You might want to try dynoing the stock plenum w/o the spacer vs. the stock plenum w/spacer.

Old 01-29-2005, 02:27 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Hi guys,

I said I would post the A/F, so here it is. Also note from the AF plots that the AF results track with the HP results. Hence the results/differences are real. How else could the engine run leaner?...

Attached Thumbnails Motordyne Plenum Spacer Vs Crawford V5-af-ratio.gif  
Old 01-30-2005, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by JoeyG35
Very nice, Hydrazine.

It looks like you've got a hot product on your hands! I'm sure the Crawford Z guys will be happy to see this. Especially when they are preparing to roll out their new cast aluminum plenum, which would probably dyno the same as the V5 you tested.

Yeh, they started a thread on 350z and announced thier own mock spacer made from a stack of gaskets, claiming the joke was on us. It's looking more and more like the joke is on them though =)

Old 01-30-2005, 01:13 AM
E_K
Originally Posted by copbait
Yeh, they started a thread on 350z and announced thier own mock spacer made from a stack of gaskets, claiming the joke was on us. It's looking more and more like the joke is on them though =)
Yeah, I saw the thread and your responses.

None of my posts were meant to put down any products. Hydrazine and I planned on also dynoing a stock plenum only and Crawford V5 with spacer, but as I already said, we had to change our plans. It just so happened that the spacer with stock plenum made more power than a Crawford V5. None of us expected that. I can't explain why one config makes more power than a comparable one, all I can do is relay the dyno results, posting all the runs that we did.

The fact that I'm running both the Crawford and the Motordyne spacer speaks well on what I think of both products.

Old 01-30-2005, 02:15 AM
Originally Posted by E_K
Yeah, I saw the thread and your responses.

None of my posts were meant to put down any products. Hydrazine and I planned on also dynoing a stock plenum only and Crawford V5 with spacer, but as I already said, we had to change our plans. It just so happened that the spacer with stock plenum made more power than a Crawford V5. None of us expected that. I can't explain why one config makes more power than a comparable one, all I can do is relay the dyno results, posting all the runs that we did.

The fact that I'm running both the Crawford and the Motordyne spacer speaks well on what I think of both products.
I don't think anyone put down Crawford products at all, they just came out mocking the spacer idea. Like I said in that thread I think they feel very threatened by this new development and are just attempting to discredit it, and are not handling it very professionally. Too bad because they do have some quality products to offer, but so far their business practices are a turn-off for me...

Old 01-30-2005, 03:02 AM
they should feel threatened. a mod that makes more power...that is cheaper...come on now.

Old 01-31-2005, 02:15 AM
yeah, i kinda read that thread a little........it reminds me of that "we lost another loan to di-tech" commercial!!!.......but in reality, one more name added to the spacer group buy is one less potentially to crawford............i didn't follow their thread that deep, did they back up their "testing" with solid proof(dyno) showing that NO hp was ascertained with that 1/4 stack of gaskets with back to back runs?

Last edited by klg35; 01-31-2005 at 02:29 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Motordyne Plenum Spacer Vs Crawford V5