Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

DIY : Oil Cooler O-ring Replacement V35

Old 09-09-2018, 04:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
In regards to the confusion about the O-ring part numbers and some OEM ones not fitting - the actual part number for the older style (smaller and orange colored) O-rings is B1304-43U00. This part has been superseded by the 21304-JA11A which is black and too big to make a good seal on the older G's. The new part automatically gets ordered when you go ask for the oil cooler O-ring at the dealership, so you'd need to specify this outdated part number.

The Fel-Pro replacement on rockauto (same as the amazon link a few posts above) is the only aftermarker one I've found that fits for those with the older and smaller O-rings.

For reference - I have an 03 sedan and got stuck ordering multiple replacements (both OEM and aftermarket) before realizing that this was the case.

Further confirmation of this can be found on Infiniti's part lookup here: parts.infinitiusa.com

Sorry to anyone getting notifications on a years-old thread. I hope this info helps any of you guys still working on G's!

The following 2 users liked this post by johndom450:
Blue Dream (09-09-2018), dixie normous (01-13-2019)
Old 09-09-2018, 06:04 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
As common as this repair is, it's hard to believe Nissan or Infiniti dealers will have the old part in stock. At the time Nissan superseded the old part, as inexpensive as they are, they probably tossed the old ones in the garbage. Even if you order the old p/n, they'll give you the right or current one. Now, aftermarket suppliers may have copied the old design and are still supplying it and the thing is, it will work for a while, possibly quite a while. I replaced mine but it lasted close to 100k miles and 10 years.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson View Post
Just replaced this gasket on my '08 G35X this afternoon. Couple of comments....
  • Member above asked if the gasket referenced in the OP (21304-JA11A) is the same for RWD and AWD and can confirm that it is. I know it was from 3 years ago but hopefully this helps someone who runs across this in the future.
  • This may not apply to all years or maybe it's only applicable to AWD models, but it is not necessary to drain the oil from the pan. I measured (and replaced) what was "lost" when removing the filter as well as the stud and it was just under 200ml (or 0.2 quarts).
Fingers crossed that this was the culprit in my case. All signs indicate that it was but I'll be checking for leaks on a daily basis for a while just to be sure !!
Hey..I have an 08 G35X as well and when I bought this O ring from dealer it was the larger one that fits on the outside of the housing and it has the same part number. The one that was originally inside of the cooler was actually the smaller one that fits on the inside of the grove. Was yours the smaller O ring or the larger one? Does it make a difference which one needs to be used..?

Old 04-30-2019, 06:40 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
There's only (1) o-ring and I can't remember specifically where it was positioned. It will only fit in one location though.