Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 01-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, straighten me out here. I have an '05 6MT, so should I be getting the IsoThermal MREV, or the IsoThermal plus the MREV plus? It's a bit confusing because there are so many differnent versions. Why so many?

Old 01-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ISO Thermal - Uses a T-Valve to control heat to the throttle-body (to keep it from freezing open). You open the vavle during cold weather and can keep it closed during warm weather for the slight benefit of a cooler throttle-body. Base ISO may offer a slight power benefit over the Copper ISO.

Copper ISO Thermal - Same as above, but in place of the manual T-Valve, there is a copper throttle-body heating gasket to prevent freezing. Install and forget, regardless of weather. Because the prospect of the Base ISO's benefit wasn't as important to me as the convenience of this option, I went with this.

MREV Plus - Same package that the MREV is (lower manifold, spacer, gasket, etc.) but the Plus indicates that some material was removed from the lower manifold for a slight improvement in air management. Cost wasn't much, and there are no negatives to the potentially slight power increase, so I opted for this as well.

I'd suggest getting either the Copper ISO Thermal w/ MREV or the Copper ISO Thermal w/ MREV Plus.

Last edited by GT-Ron; 01-12-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:33 PM
OK, I think I'm picking this up but still have a few questions.

IsoThermal priced at $450 est.

Copper IsoThermal priced at $550 est.

MREV plus priced at $125 est.

So if I'm getting this correct what I should be getting to see the most gains is the Copper Isothermal MREV with the MREV plus. Which should bring the total price for the upgrade to $575. Is that correct?

The reason I got confused is because I thought the MREV plus had "everything" included (top of the line). Then I saw the price of $125 and realized it couldn't have "everything" in it if the IsoThermal itself was $450.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers
OK, I think I'm picking this up but still have a few questions.

IsoThermal priced at $450 est.

Copper IsoThermal priced at $550 est.

MREV plus priced at $125 est.

So if I'm getting this correct what I should be getting to see the most gains is the Copper Isothermal MREV with the MREV plus. Which should bring the total price for the upgrade to $575. Is that correct?

The reason I got confused is because I thought the MREV plus had "everything" included (top of the line). Then I saw the price of $125 and realized it couldn't have "everything" in it if the IsoThermal itself was $450.
Hi ZoomZoomers,

The various different options for the MREV were made to provide flexibility in the cost and performance for people with different budgets. It would be easy to make all MREVs the same, but I wanted to make the cost within reach for a range of people.

The MREV PLUS is only an "Upgrade" to an MREV kit. The plus is not an actual part, its a machining process. So you can simply select the MREV you want (Copper or regular) and the Plus is what can be added as an upgrade.

Hope this was clear. I will see if there is a way I can simplify the website setup and still keep the various options available.

Tony

Old 01-13-2006, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Hi ZoomZoomers,

The various different options for the MREV were made to provide flexibility in the cost and performance for people with different budgets. It would be easy to make all MREVs the same, but I wanted to make the cost within reach for a range of people.

The MREV PLUS is only an "Upgrade" to an MREV kit. The plus is not an actual part, its a machining process. So you can simply select the MREV you want (Copper or regular) and the Plus is what can be added as an upgrade.

Hope this was clear. I will see if there is a way I can simplify the website setup and still keep the various options available.

Tony
Ahh... as always you've cleared things up right quick. Thanks Tony.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by zimmG35
After thinking about it a little more you would only need two new gaskets, one between the upper plenum and the spacer and one between the spacer and lower plenum. The thermal isolator below the lower plenum is a gasket so you wouldn't need another pair there. It does seem from the pictures on the website that the spacer kits (as well as MREV) only come with one gasket thereby requiring you to reuse your OEM gasket.

I am in no way talking bad here but I really think this should come with ALL the parts needed for the install, including gaskets. Reusing gaskets is not in any way a good idea. They are designed as a one use part and you invite problems when you try to squeeze pennies like that.
There are many of us with the spacer... re-used OEM gasket - I have had no problems, and haven't heard of anyone else having problems.

Old 01-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have not had any spacer gasket related issues nor have I read of any.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Hey tony, I just got the MREV Plus kit and it did not come with an instruction manual so I was hoping you could send me a copy, I got it the kit through partshippers though.

also could anyone from norcal(SJ/ sunnyvale area) help me with the installation as I've never worked on a car before.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by cloud
Hey tony, I just got the MREV Plus kit and it did not come with an instruction manual so I was hoping you could send me a copy, I got it the kit through partshippers though.

also could anyone from norcal(SJ/ sunnyvale area) help me with the installation as I've never worked on a car before.
Look thoroughly i thought mine didn't come with a direction, then i found the manual on a brown card board in the box.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:15 PM
Found it. Still need someone to help out with the installation though appreciate the help.
thanks.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:43 AM
Is it absolutely necessary to leave the car to cool overnight for the MREV installation. Can I drive in to the shop(20miles) at 8am and have the do the installation sometime around 4pm? Is that enough time for the car to cool down completely?

Old 01-17-2006, 01:45 AM
I know Tony is working on some new stuff and so I was wondering if we go ahead and get the MREV plus will these new mods work in conjunction with the MREV or will it replace it? I'd rather not have to replace the MREV with something completely new and better right after I decide to do the mod. Any info on this? Thanks.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:12 AM
That was the exact question I asked a few posts ago and yeah the new mods work in conjuction with the MREV plus.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:23 AM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by cloud
That was the exact question I asked a few posts ago and yeah the new mods work in conjuction with the MREV plus.
Tony is working on many things at the moment. Your first investment was a good one, The next phase of mods will only make the first better. Remember guys, oil your bolts before installing them.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:26 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE PASTA
Remember guys, oil your bolts before installing them.
Yep. It will make them easier to remove if needed and more importantly, you'll get a more accurate torque reading.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering