Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman
Actually, that is not exactly true.

If you look at the very first post on this thread, and compare Klumsee's dyno numbers to his friends, you will see a much larger gain throughout the RPM band. Don't pay attention to the peak numbers (as each engine is different, and Klumsee claimed that his friend was having issues with his intake), but look at the gains at every 1000RPM (as an example). His friends car had gains of an additional 9 ft/lbs of torque & ~5hp at 4500RPM, 10 ft/lbs of torque & ~7hp at 5500RPM. The peak also did not drop off as dramatically above 6250RPM.

So don't think of it as "not losing" 2.5 hp up top, but you are gaining MORE throughout the power band and not running out of steam as quickly up top.

Thank you!

Old 12-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by MechEE
Talk about some unsubstantiated claims!
Have you read everything?

Old 12-16-2005, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andy2434
Have you read everything?
They're so unsubstantiated that even the manufacturer won't BS some power numbers!

Old 12-16-2005, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator
Okay, you answered my question.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:46 AM
Florida G35 Club
MechEE

Congrats on your new ride. I realize your new to this forum, Understand there are many people here that have lots of compassion for this car. I for one, love this car for many reason's because its not easy to mod. Your posting on one of the biggest threads ever on driver because its such a positive thread. The Mrev is one of the biggest and best Mod to hit the VQ Ever. Spend some time and reread this thread and you will understand what has happened here on all the mods. I wish just 1 year ago, this was here for me because of all the pain I went thru, To enjoy this Mod.
Enjoy your new ride and better yet enjoy your new family's wisdom.
Pasta

Old 12-16-2005, 12:49 AM
I don't think I've ever seen or read about one particular mod that had gained so much positive feedback. Next on my list will be the MREV plus.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by andy2434
Okay, you answered my question.
Originally Posted by GEE PASTA
MechEE

Congrats on your new ride. I realize your new to this forum, Understand there are many people here that have lots of compassion for this car. I for one, love this car for many reason's because its not easy to mod. Your posting on one of the biggest threads ever on driver because its such a positive thread. The Mrev is one of the biggest and best Mod to hit the VQ Ever. Spend some time and reread this thread and you will understand what has happened here on all the mods. I wish just 1 year ago, this was here for me because of all the pain I went thru, To enjoy this Mod.
Enjoy your new ride and better yet enjoy your new family's wisdom.
Pasta
I think you are both misunderstanding me. I am speaking of the MREV *Plus* addition only, not the MREV. Cearly there is much dyno and butt-dyno evidence for the MREV, but the Motordyne website doesn't say much about the plus other than it "provides even greater MREV system performance by maximizing both torque and horse power." Well, wonderful. It could maximize each by another 0.01% and that claim could still be true. The claims are simply not substantiated in any way, either with a physical explanation of what they're doing for the gains, or some back-to-back dyno evidence that is not within error of the MREV versus the MREV Plus.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:06 AM
I think you are both misunderstanding me. I am speaking of the MREV *Plus* addition only, not the MREV. Cearly there is much dyno and butt-dyno evidence for the MREV, but the Motordyne website doesn't say much about the plus other than it "provides even greater MREV system performance by maximizing both torque and horse power." Well, wonderful. It could maximize each by another 0.01% and that claim could still be true. The claims are simply not substantiated in any way, either with a physical explanation of what they're doing for the gains, or some back-to-back dyno evidence that is not within error of the MREV versus the MREV Plus.
I think I can clarify about this a little. Tony from MD told me that the plus version of the MREV is bascially the MREV kit, but with the bottom plenlum portion ported and polished. This adds additional efficiency of flow and some other stuff. LOL. I forget the exact details of it right now. But I think you all get the idea when I say that the "plus" versio of the MREV is a ported and polished version the regular MREV. That is why there is an additional charge for the plus version. If you still need clarification I suggest you e-mail Tony at MD directly.

Old 12-16-2005, 04:50 AM
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers
I think I can clarify about this a little. Tony from MD told me that the plus version of the MREV is bascially the MREV kit, but with the bottom plenlum portion ported and polished. This adds additional efficiency of flow and some other stuff. LOL. I forget the exact details of it right now. But I think you all get the idea when I say that the "plus" versio of the MREV is a ported and polished version the regular MREV. That is why there is an additional charge for the plus version. If you still need clarification I suggest you e-mail Tony at MD directly.
My point is only that the actual gains from this haven't been backed up and there aren't even any estimates.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:15 AM
My point is only that the actual gains from this haven't been backed up and there aren't even any estimates.
It's the same reason i'm having trouble justifying going with the MREV plus. Partshipperdave mentioned it add about 2-3HP, that is some power i wont even feel on daily driving, plus no solid data to back that up.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:35 AM
I've kept in contact with Tony about this recently, and he's working on getting some more dyno charts from independent customer testing of the differences betweent the two kits, but from what his testing has shown, there is a definite performance improvement of the Plus kit over the basic MREV kit. The estimates I gave are based off of an earlier conversation we had, so I thought I'd at least pass that along for now to help answer people's questions.

Basically, it's going to deliver more than the MREV kit as the optimal setup for people who want the most performance possible via this bolt on mod!

When you compare the two kits, it's all relative. My quote is an estimate based on Motordyne's testing, since I don't have physical dyno charts to back it yet. So, 2-3 hp doesn't sound like a lot when it's mentioned alone, but when added to what the basic MREV kits have been delivering across the entire rpm range, it really helps!

Aren't there a handful of intakes out there selling for $200-$300 that might realistically only deliver 3-6 hp..? These machined lower plenums are a nice addition to the basic MREV kit that will help get you the most out of this mod.

Old 12-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by partshipperdave
...So, 2-3 hp doesn't sound like a lot when it's mentioned alone, but when added to what the basic MREV kits have been delivering across the entire rpm range, it really helps! ...
Exactly. Besides, it helps offset the slight penalty of going with the convenience of the copper ISO.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by GT-Ron
Exactly. Besides, it helps offset the slight penalty of going with the convenience of the copper ISO.
Hi again,
Luv'n this thread, can't wait to get the parts.

Q: So the $122, is that just grinding away any seams, rough spots etc.? or an actual boring out of the pathways, etc.

Thanks!

Old 12-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by partshipperdave
When you compare the two kits, it's all relative. My quote is an estimate based on Motordyne's testing, since I don't have physical dyno charts to back it yet. So, 2-3 hp doesn't sound like a lot when it's mentioned alone, but when added to what the basic MREV kits have been delivering across the entire rpm range, it really helps!
It would be very hard to isolate and verify a 2-3hp gain because with these cars, like any other car, vary in power from run to run. The power curves follow the same trends and the ending numbers are usually close, but there will be portions in the curve where the VQ might be making +/- 4whp simply because of the mood of the VQ or the discrepency in the dyno. A gain of 2-3hp won't be seen in a measured acceleration contest either.

I think the "ISO thermal" kits are kind of a waste. I don't dispute the cooling principle, but after driving for 30 minutes, it doesn't matter what you have done to alleviate heat soak, especially in 70+ degree weather. Metal is metal and it's going to heat soak simply because the underhood temps are high and heat rises (where the manifold is). The manifold might not be quite as hot as stock, but it will probably be within 10-20 degrees. When the manifold is 160+ degrees, it really doesn't matter. At the track, most of us pop the hood and let the engine cool a little, but from what I've seen with my G, I don't see one lick of difference in ET or MPH by letting it cool off for one hour between runs or running back to back runs on a scalding hot motor and intake manifold. The only thing that dramatically changes my ET is the 60'. My trapspeeds for any given track day are always within .5mph. That's a damn consistent motor if you ask me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering