Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 12-05-2005 | 11:06 PM
BTW im getting 18.2 mpg with MREV on. I was getting 15.5 at best before

Old 12-05-2005 | 11:26 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by fx45copper
BTW im getting 18.2 mpg with MREV on. I was getting 15.5 at best before
I had the same realization after I installed MREV. I trust more people share the same. LOL . . . Not only do we get a boost . . . This mod might actually paid for itself, as well.

Tony, you should be quite pleased with all of these positive reviews.

Old 12-06-2005 | 12:20 PM
Any possible way we can get a special on MREV Plus with Copper ISO from any of the vendors for the holidays?

Old 12-06-2005 | 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
Actually, this is more than a spacer......but then again, you SOLD YOUR CAR AND BOUGHT A 'VETTE.

Classy putting in a link to a competitor's mod when you don't know what you are talking about.

Don't let the e-door hit you on the way out!
WTF is your problem fanboy?

Vette is going to be a project car while I'll swap my 6MT with my cousin's X sedan to utilize as my daily driver.

I know what this MREV consist of and while I find it's a good kit, that Skunk2 spacer is not bad either which I never said is comparable in power delivery.
You don't have to be an a$$hole with your last ignorant and silly commments.

Old 12-06-2005 | 04:56 PM
I have a Dyno appointment on Saturday. My only mods are Stillen cai , Z-Tube and MREV. What is the stock output of an 05 REVUP? 253? i'll post results when I get them

Old 12-06-2005 | 05:03 PM
I have a Dyno appointment on Saturday. My only mods are Stillen cai , Z-Tube and MREV. What is the stock output of an 05 REVUP? 253? i'll post results when I get them
Good luck!
Going to install MREV, z-tube, K&N filter, DC headers and UTEC on X.
These are going to be the only mods my G will ever see (daily driver).

Old 12-06-2005 | 05:09 PM
Ahhhhh.....wait a minute. Don't look at peak numbers. This is not a peak numbers part. This is a part that gives you hp throughout the rpm band. I actually gained 1.7hp PEAK. The biggest gain though was in the 4000-5000rpm band. That's were I gained @20hp & @30fttq. Don't get confused when buying this and you peak goes down 1-2 hp. You will see agreat gain in the middle not peak, and it would be better if you can see before and after.

Old 12-06-2005 | 06:26 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Originally Posted by Gmaster
Good luck!
Going to install MREV, z-tube, K&N filter, DC headers and UTEC on X.
These are going to be the only mods my G will ever see (daily driver).

Originally Posted by Gmaster
I know what this MREV consist of
Then you should know it won't work on an "X" car. They aren't equipped with the rev-up motor.

Good luck, you'll need it.

Old 12-06-2005 | 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by wnt1bd
Ahhhhh.....wait a minute. Don't look at peak numbers. This is not a peak numbers part. This is a part that gives you hp throughout the rpm band. I actually gained 1.7hp PEAK. The biggest gain though was in the 4000-5000rpm band. That's were I gained @20hp & @30fttq. Don't get confused when buying this and you peak goes down 1-2 hp. You will see agreat gain in the middle not peak, and it would be better if you can see before and after.
Haha, last thing I needed is the neg 1.2 peak HP thought with no explanation while I drive home aggrivated. I realized there was a blip at 6600 +.
I'll check out the RPM band like you said.

Old 12-07-2005 | 04:12 PM
I ordered the Copper Iso Thermal MREV Plus yesterday. Since I'm staying NA, this may very well end up being the most significant performance mod I do. Looking forward to having it installed, along with my headers, Y-pipe and filter/G-tube. Can't wait to see what this combo will do compared to stock.

Old 12-12-2005 | 02:55 PM
Can someone tell me why an 05AT (280hp motor) with a spacer won't have a similar dyno curve as a rev up motor with MREV? After reading all this it looks like the MREV is basically getting the "rev-up" plenum to act like a non "rev-up" and then adding a spacer. The diff being that the rev up motor has stonger internals and a higher red line... what am i missing?

Old 12-12-2005 | 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by dallasg
Can someone tell me why an 05AT (280hp motor) with a spacer won't have a similar dyno curve as a rev up motor with MREV? After reading all this it looks like the MREV is basically getting the "rev-up" plenum to act like a non "rev-up" and then adding a spacer. The diff being that the rev up motor has stonger internals and a higher red line... what am i missing?
Variable exhaust cam timing and cam profiles.

Old 12-12-2005 | 05:57 PM
Hmm, i guess i thought all the 05 motors had the variable exhaust tuning, not just the rev-ups. Aren't the 05 sedan mufflers diff than 03-04's because of some dual path flow design?

I had my defective muffler replaced earlier this year, and that's what I was told at the dealer. Maybe all the 05 sedans get the same new muffler regardless of the motor type?

Old 12-12-2005 | 07:59 PM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by DaveB
Variable exhaust cam timing and cam profiles.
DaveB or anybody else. Do you know yet what the rev up cam profiles are?
I have posted on the 350z forum and have asked. But nobody knows over there. (I very surprised) I have the PDF File for the rev-up cam shaft spec.'s.
It does not tell me duration. I would love to know what the overlap is. I think it would be good to do a compair of the rev-up and the non rev-up spec.'s. IM totally baffled on how they are running the camshafts in this engine without an EGR valve. I understand that they have to run the exhaust valve in a retarded position to re burn the exhaust.
I know that advancing a camshaft will make things happen sooner and retarding will make the engine want to run up at higher RPM'S. Any idea on overlap with the VQ camshafts. IM starting to think that what they are doing is running the exhaust at a retarded position and then advancing it as it revs higher. The intake must be doing the same. This would be one of the reason the rev ups torque is down. Plus this would answer the question why the plenum volume is so big in a 213 CI engine. IM betting the overlap at high revs is over 114 degrees or more at full song.
Tell me they aren't breaking all the rules on the camshaft profiles.

Old 12-13-2005 | 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by GEE PASTA
DaveB or anybody else. Do you know yet what the rev up cam profiles are?
I have posted on the 350z forum and have asked. But nobody knows over there. (I very surprised) I have the PDF File for the rev-up cam shaft spec.'s.
It does not tell me duration. I would love to know what the overlap is. I think it would be good to do a compair of the rev-up and the non rev-up spec.'s. IM totally baffled on how they are running the camshafts in this engine without an EGR valve. I understand that they have to run the exhaust valve in a retarded position to re burn the exhaust.
I know that advancing a camshaft will make things happen sooner and retarding will make the engine want to run up at higher RPM'S. Any idea on overlap with the VQ camshafts. IM starting to think that what they are doing is running the exhaust at a retarded position and then advancing it as it revs higher. The intake must be doing the same. This would be one of the reason the rev ups torque is down. Plus this would answer the question why the plenum volume is so big in a 213 CI engine. IM betting the overlap at high revs is over 114 degrees or more at full song.
Tell me they aren't breaking all the rules on the camshaft profiles.
I don't know either. I've only seen the parts list of Rev-Up motor and the cams are different. I believe the valve springs are different too (could be wrong). You're probably right on your assessment on varying the retardation/advance/overlap of the cam. With variable cam timing, you can basically put in some fairly wild cams and still get good idle and low rpm driveability. I doubt the cams are a lot more aggressive though. They're probably just aggressive enough to shift the powerband up 500rpms about.

As for the plenum, it's a marvel of mass production. Whether it be the Rev-up or the standard manifold. The thing achieves 105% volumetric efficency. That's just amazing for a mass produced piece. The runners are terribly short, yet the motor delivers a very flat and healthy torque curve. When I saw the runner length, I was left scratching my head at tractiability of the motor at low rpms. I think the insides tell the story though. Those six runner ducts behave like the air horns you see on late model M-series BMWs or on high powered NA Honda drag cars. In other Nissan cars and many other high performance motors, the intake manifold has variable runners to achieve good low rpms power and a strong topend charge. These setups typically include which either a resonance chamber seperated by butterfly valves that allow long runners to behave like short runners to achieve high rpm breathing (01+ Maxima, VQ Pathfinder/QX, 02+ Altima, Sentra SE-R and V) or there are two sets of runners, long and short (Taurus SHO Yamaha V6). Some how, Nissan has developed an intake manifold with no moving parts that does the same thing. It's genius.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering