Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 11-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any idea when this thing is going to be avail. to the public?

Old 11-13-2005, 01:03 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by AzSi22
I was able to get to the dyno tonight. The only mods on the Blue run (k&n drop in, z-tube, grounding wires). Red run added the MREV mod.

Basically, it does as advertised, the power is much more usable as predicted with a bit of sacrifice of top end, but I don't race my car so its not a big deal to me. :thumbs up:
Nice mid range gain!!! I hope Tony will develope something for '04 mid-range TQ

Old 11-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
What is MREV

The website has come a long way but still isn't ready and I know many people want to know what it is.

Heres the same description I posted on the 350Z board.

I knew what the results of MREV would be before I even dynod it... I knew what it would do when I saw the REVUP 300HP collector dynod on a 287 engine.

The REVUP collector on a 287 engine showed a significant loss of power everywhere except the last several hundred RPM where it produced a only blip of ~10HP at the end of the RPM spectrum. Upon seeing the results I asked myself "Why would Nissan do that?" It looked like such an unfavorable compromise.

A plenum spacer could easily produce 10+HP and have no loss of HP and TQ everywhere else in the RPM curve.

It seemed the new REVUP 300HP collector was more of a marketing decision rather than a engineering decision. The 300 HP collector does allow the REVUP engine produce a higher peak power and allows Nissan to legitimately advertise "300 HP". And this is what led me to believe it is more of a marketing decision. HP is what matters most to sales and marketing. Peak HP is what gets advertised in the magazines. Particularly when all the car companies are in a HP war. The old adage is true. HP is what sells cars. TQ is what wins races.

Nissan is in the business of selling cars. Winning races may be nice but its not Nissans primary objective.

I give special credit to JASON@PERFORMANCE NISSAN. He was the first to post an A/B comparison of the 287 HP lower collector against the 300 HP collector on a 287 engine. That is when I saw the TQ and HP on his pre/post plots. I found that if you extrapolate the plots out to 7000 RPM, the compromise between the 287 collector and the 300 collector becomes more even in terms of total area under the curve because HP on the 287 collector is rapidly diminishing above 6K... But I also know that adding a spacer to a 287 collector rapidly increases HP at about the same rate. See the attached plot below.

The question is. What if a 287 lower collector was dynod on a REVUP engine? You could expect more TQ and less HP. Would that be a desirable feature?... Only if it were a daily driver. There would be too much loss on the top end for tracking or drag.

But knowing that a spacer on a 287 collector rapidly increases HP above 5K. (see attached plot below.) At 6.5K it shows a spacer is increasing HP almost exponentially! If you extrapolate it out, it would produce nearly 18HP at 7K RPM. So this led me to questions what would the result be if a 287 collector and a spacer were combined and bolted to a REVUP engine?... This is where it gets interesting.

The 287 collector on a REVUP engine by itself would decline rapidly above 6K, but seeing that a spacer rapidly adds above 5K, it was surmised that positive and negative trends would tend to negate each other at high RPM. But the only way to really know is to dyno it.

This is where Klumzyee and his REVUP G35 came into the scene. (with an offer of a "Free MOD" if he got it dynod.)

His baseline dyno was done for reference at the beginning of the day.

The First experimental test was simply a 287 collector on the REVUP engine. No other mods.
Results: Exactly as predicted. Much more power below 5.5K and a significant loss of about 20HP above 6K.

The Second test was a 287 collector and 5/16" Iso Thermal Plenum Spacer on the REVUP. No other mods.
Results: Much more power below 6K and a loss of about ~6HP above 6.3K. It was interesting to note that TQ was down very slightly from the 287 collector alone but HP in the high end was up substantially.

The Third test was a 287 collector and 1/2" Iso Thermal Plenum Spacer on the REVUP. No other mods.
Results: A mixed surprise. Yes, it produced about 2HP more peak HP in the high end than the 5/16" spacer but it also produced less total area under the curve than the 5/16" spacer. It lost quite a bit of TQ across a wide range of RPM.

Conclusion: Of the 3 configurations tested, the 5/16" spacer clearly produced more area under the curve than any other configuration. Its max TQ was only slightly less than no spacer at all and its max HP was only slightly less than the 1/2" spacer. Despite the fact that it didn't produce the highest peak TQ or HP, 5/16" produced more power across a wider range than anything else. And it produced a lot more power than the stock REVUP collector. When you consider the trade of power loss above 6300 Vs the power gain below 6000, the modification produces a 12:1 gain in TQ and a 7:1 gain in HP. (a really good trade.)

If the 5/16" spacer produced more overall power than either configuration, it is indicating there is an optimum point for spacer heigth.

This observation is what indicates how plenum internal volume (and not just total flow area above runners 1&2) are important to the REVUP engine. Plenum internal volume has an optimum point. More volume isn't necessarily better.

But then again, I also know that runners 1&2 by themselves can benefit from the added flow area of a 1/2" spacer. So after analyzing and reviewing the data from Klumzyees dynos I thought of other ways to possibly increase power even more.

And this is where a modified lower collector came in.... Its essentially an attempt to try to get the peak gains of the 1/2" spacer and keep all the TQ of the 5/16" spacer.

I think what the engine ideally wants is a minimized plenum internal volume with a maximized clearance above the intake runners. So I tried to move toward this goal by modifying the lower collector.

The modified lower collector with a 5/16" spacer was tested on Alex's car a little more recently. You can see both Klymzyees and Alex's dyno plots on the first page of this thread.

The modified lower collector can be used if you don’t want a spacer at all and want the maximum stealth possible (but it won’t produce quite as much as the spacer). Conversely, the modified lower collector can also used in tandem with a spacer for additional breathing room above intake runners 1&2.

So there you have it.

MREV is a 287HP lower collector with a spacer... with an option to modify the 287 collector to squeeze a little more power out of it, or to just keep it 100% stealth.

Tony

PS its available now! Just give me a PM.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering-quarter-minus-b.gif  
Old 11-13-2005, 01:43 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Excellent! Congrats Tony on more proven gains... I'm sure as time goes on others will report much of the same.

Now that this is out of the way - can we have some more non-revup inovations?... I need something untill '07 model or JWT CARB approval

Old 11-13-2005, 01:51 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Nice work Tony. Now the waiting is over. I can't wait to see the results of others who have other mods on their cars.

Now, what's next on your agenda?!

There's no sleeping now, you've set the bar too high. We all expect you to go play "mad scientist" again and give us another mod by next weekend.

Help us non-RevUp G/Z owners boost our power further.

With your experience, I expect nothing less than detachable rocket boosters (but without the O-ring issues).

Good going Tony!

Jeff

Old 11-13-2005, 02:05 PM
does it change engine noise at all?

Old 11-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
MREV is a 287HP lower collector with a spacer... with an option to modify the 287 collector to squeeze a little more power out of it, or to just keep it 100% stealth.
Ok, what is the best setup or what do I need to have the best possible setup while keeping it stealth? if go with the stealth option how much HP/TQ will i loose? I don't want Infiniti see right away that i did something with my car.

Last edited by FI'ed G; 11-13-2005 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by AzSi22
I was able to get to the dyno tonight. The only mods on the Blue run (k&n drop in, z-tube, grounding wires). Red run added the MREV mod.

Basically, it does as advertised, the power is much more usable as predicted with a bit of sacrifice of top end, but I don't race my car so its not a big deal to me. :thumbs up:
So AZsi22 what combination of MRev did you have?

Old 11-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by AthenG
Ok, what is the best setup or what do I need to have the best possible setup while keeping it stealth? I don't want Infiniti see right away that i did something with my car.
The MREV with 5/16" spacer fits the engine cover nice and clean. So its stealth anyways. Even with the cover off it probably wouldn't be noticed. It blends right in with everything else in the engine compartment.

If you wanted, you could take the spacer out before visiting the dealership too.

Old 11-13-2005, 05:37 PM
The MREV with 5/16" spacer fits the engine cover nice and clean. So its stealth anyways. Even with the cover off it probably wouldn't be noticed. It blends right in with everything else in the engine compartment.

If you wanted, you could take the spacer out before visiting the dealership too.
it's a little clear now, but what does the modified 287 collector does? will this look stealth?

Old 11-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
soo, do the 05 ATs have anything like this that would give it 20+hp

Old 11-13-2005, 06:10 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats of the success of the new offering!

Old 11-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
it's a little clear now, but what does the modified 287 collector does? will this look stealth?
The modified collector is a 287 collector that has the first two runners bored out for more air flow. It will look stock because the modification is done to the inside portions of the collector.

Old 11-13-2005, 08:49 PM
So AZsi22 what combination of MRev did you have?
I have the 3/8" spacer. I had it previously, I was one of the guys that bought it before knowing the spacer didn't really work very well on the 05's.

Old 11-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by baller3839
does it change engine noise at all?
The car has a completely different tone now after 4K. The intake side is much louder and has a deeper tone to it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering