Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 10-31-2005, 08:21 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveO
ChicagoX,

Well said IMO. I invite you to join me in not wasting anymore of your time on people that aren't worth 30 seconds of your time.

DaveO
You must have posted this after I started writing my post. I'll take your advice.

Old 10-31-2005, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
You must have posted this after I started writing my post. I'll take your advice.
Welcome aboard Tony.

Anyone else?

DaveO

Old 10-31-2005, 09:43 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by DaveO
Welcome aboard Tony.

Anyone else?

DaveO

Yes me too please

Old 10-31-2005, 11:58 PM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Yes me too please
I would first like to thank Eric, For posting this thread.
I would also like to thank Tony C & DaveO.
This forum has been a positive place for me for the most part.
I have made many new (long distance friends here)
With permission from the "above" I would love to tell you all the results of the new Tony" mod.
Drivability alone is worth the price for the mod.
As far as you drag racers? I bet I will be able to bag out 3/10 quicker in the 1/4 mile.
Does anybody here KNOW? what true redline is in a VQ? Shift points on the drag strip will give you the quickest times and ET's. Come on expert's, Tell use all what the redline or shift points. I have never heard so much bad information in my life. Drag racing is an art for the people that know what they are doing. Any drag racers here? Let me take a moment and say that my drive home from Southern Calif. of 643 miles at under 9 hours and with 4 stops pulled over 26.5 miles per gallon. There was a few times that my car pulled over 135 mph just for fun. This is a real deal mod. As far as computers are concerned about drag racing?
They use them for tuning tools, But not setups. I think I need to go on a newbie rescue mission now. PS Shift points on the drag strip should be around 6350 rpm's. The limiter just keeps you from blowing up you engine.

Old 11-01-2005, 01:42 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE PASTA
I have never heard so much bad information in my life.
And that's why I've got to post up. You're giving out really bad information and misleading people.

Any drag racers here?
Yes, about 13 years. Bracket racing, grudge, some comp, etc. Probably 400+ passes. Mustangs, F-Bodies, various Hondas, Maximas, G35s.

PS Shift points on the drag strip should be around 6350 rpm's.

....Come on expert's, Tell use all what the redline or shift points....
PS Shift points on the drag strip should be around 6350 rpm's.
I can guarantee you it's not 6350rpms and this is not some Hoccus-Pocus thing I'm pulling out of thin air like Russ, DaveO, Chicago or anyone else that thinks I make this stuff up. Shift points can vary from gear to gear depending on the shape of the powerband. The ideal shift point is when the wtq for the current gear is surpassed by the wtq of the next successive gear. You're not taking into account the gear muliplication factor. There is quite a bit of math involved and the hard truth is the math works.

G35 6MT
Final drive 3.5:1
1st 3.79:1
2nd 2.32:1
3rd 1.62:1
4th 1.27:1
5th 1:1

Tire height 26.4"

Using Russ' plot plus using the posted graphs to 6900rpms, I can get a very close estimate of the ideal shift points for each gear.

Here they are:

1-2 6900rpms (ideal would be closer to 7,300)
2-3 6900rpms (ideal would be closer to 7,100)
3-4 6700rpms
4-5 6500rpms

Calculate them yourself if you don't believe me or at least others understand and see how it's done.

http://www.boostaholic.com/maxima/dyno/shiftpoints.html

Last edited by DaveB; 11-01-2005 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Its also about significantly improved daily driving. Everybody who installed one of these and came back after a quick spin, came back with a huge grin on their face. Thats what counts more than anything else.

Performance Nissan was a big skeptic until they dynod it on a 350Z and took it for a drive.... Andy@Perf came back with the same huge grin on his face.
It was either the mod or he smoked some crack really quick before driving back to the dyno shop.
I guess everybody who installed one must have smoked some crack after the install. At least they liked it.

Expect any 1/4 mile improvements to be on the order of a tenth of a second. Nobody said MREV was NOS or a turbo. Its an NA mod... and probably the most effective NA mod available.
Tony, the majority of the things, which you had stated went over my head. Your comments, which I clipped are the most important and real to me.

I have not addressed you publicly, since I have installed your MREV mod. However, I will do as such, now. Good Lord, Tony . . . I am still trying to figure out what you did to my G. It was fun to drive before. Now, it is an absolute shear pleasure to drive . . . And I keep finding excuses to take the G out.

My G is only some 6 months old. In a matter minutes after a 2-1/2 hour install . . . I am driving another new car with better drivability and new found power. Personally, MREV is the mod for me. It was easy to install and afforded me what you had claimed . . . No more and most importantly . . . No Less!

No! I do not smoke crack.

And by the way, Tony . . . I am still grinning from ear to ear.

Old 11-01-2005, 02:42 AM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by DaveB
And that's why I've got to post up. You're giving out really bad information and misleading people.

Yes, about 13 years. Bracket racing, grudge, some comp, etc. Probably 400+ passes. Mustangs, F-Bodies, various Hondas, Maximas, G35s.

I can guarantee you it's not 6350rpms and this is not some Hoccus-Pocus thing I'm pulling out of thin air like Russ, DaveO, Chicago or anyone else that thinks I make this stuff up. Shift points can vary from gear to gear depending on the shape of the powerband. The ideal shift point is when the wtq for the current gear is surpassed by the wtq of the next successive gear. You're not taking into account the gear muliplication factor. There is quite a bit of math involved and the hard truth is the math works.

G35 6MT
Final drive 3.5:1
1st 3.79:1
2nd 2.32:1
3rd 1.62:1
4th 1.27:1
5th 1:1

Tire height 26.4"

Using Russ' plot plus using the posted graphs to 6900rpms, I can get a very close estimate of the ideal shift points for each gear.

Here they are:

1-2 6900rpms (ideal would be closer to 7,300)
2-3 6900rpms (ideal would be closer to 7,100)
3-4 6700rpms
4-5 6500rpms

Calculate them yourself if you don't believe me or at least others understand and see how it's done.

http://www.boostaholic.com/maxima/dyno/shiftpoints.html
IM not going to get in a pissing match with anybody here on g35driver.
I spent my 70's & 80's Drag racing in Southern Calif. and traveled all over the states racing NHRA. Won some and lost some. I spent many years building engines. I spent a lot of time behind engine dyno's, Not chassis dynos. I have driven some of the quickest cars in there class, and have also been able to attend the awards banquet for NHRA IN 1987,1988,1989
Do a search for C' mod production ----Clue! Small block chevy's
In each and every class All cars ET the best at about 200rpms in every gear above redline.
Understanding that 9800rpm shift points are not what the VQ is all about. The engine is the tuning device on what it delivers. From that point on you can change gears, clutch, and so on.
In no way do you make your car quicker by pushing the engine past its "dynodes" power point. Its rubber to the road and set up. Again---- Drag racing is an art. Paint your own picture. 7300 RPM'S-=-= YOUR NUT'S
Pasta

Old 11-01-2005, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1 You go, Pasta.

Old 11-01-2005, 08:27 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by andy2434
+1 You go, Pasta.
+1 here as well. Pasta, ChicagoX, DaveO, and so on all know what they are talking about and I trust what they say.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:09 AM
+1 Pasta w/ the special sauce

Old 11-01-2005, 10:20 AM
I've been watching this thread from the beginning and it's been interesting and informative but I,m confused.
Pasta, by saying " In each and every class all cars ET the best at about 200rpms in every gear above redline" it appears that you are supporting what DaveB is saying. Please explain.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Well juss read through all 28+ pages. Some good information and mostly banter. I look forward to seeing the final product both with peak hp/tq gain numbers and overall hp/tq numbers with dyno graphs and 1320 times to back up each claim..

Old 11-01-2005, 10:39 AM
IM not going to get in a pissing match with anybody here on g35driver.
I spent my 70's & 80's Drag racing in Southern Calif. and traveled all over the states racing NHRA. Won some and lost some. I spent many years building engines. I spent a lot of time behind engine dyno's, Not chassis dynos. I have driven some of the quickest cars in there class, and have also been able to attend the awards banquet for NHRA IN 1987,1988,1989
Do a search for C' mod production ----Clue! Small block chevy's
In each and every class All cars ET the best at about 200rpms in every gear above redline.
Understanding that 9800rpm shift points are not what the VQ is all about. The engine is the tuning device on what it delivers. From that point on you can change gears, clutch, and so on.
In no way do you make your car quicker by pushing the engine past its "dynodes" power point. Its rubber to the road and set up. Again---- Drag racing is an art. Paint your own picture. 7300 RPM'S-=-= YOUR NUT'S
Pasta
Wow! Pasta, I knew you had a serious drag racing background... but Wow!

DaveO

Old 11-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
7300 RPM'S-=-= YOUR NUT'S
Pasta
Well, that's what it is. Shift all your gears at 6,300 and then shift them at the points I stated and you'll see the truth. Search the internet and you'll see the same thing. Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords, SCC, Motor Trend, plus a whole host of other automotive focused sites give you the calculations to determine shift points.

Is 7,300rpms pretty high? Yes, but that's the estimated ideal shift point to where wtq in 1st is overcome by wtq entering 2nd. With the 6,900 limiter, wtq in 1st is ~644wtq@6900 and the tq@shift entering 2nd is ~557wtq. As you can see, this isn't ideal. But the rev limiter is holding the engine back. Is revving to 7,300rpms with a VQ35 dangerous? Potentially. The Rev-Up motors have better rod bolts and slightly revised valvetrains to handle higher rpms, but the non-Rev motors do not. The VQ35 could probably handle revs into the 7200-7300rpm range for short burst gears like 1st or 2nd, but wouldn't recommend it in the longer gears like 3rd+ because you spend more time in that 6900-7300rpm range. More time means more things can go wrong. The stock oil pump, which is the primary concern, is reliable to about 7,500rpms and the valvetrain, depending on VQ year, is good to 7,200-7,400. The lower end is fine and even better if you install the stronger rod bolts. The VQ bottom end is stout as hell with 4-bolt mains and girdle.

Old 11-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Florida G35 Club
Right!
And I saved 300.00 buck's switching to Geico"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering