Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 10-29-2005, 01:26 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
Ok, Tony. Now, I'm forming a G35 Terrorist Unit.

Here are my demands and threats.....

You tell us everything about the new mod NOW -or- I will start several threads about the Pro's/Con's about pulleys!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! TONY!!!! Tell him the damn mod!!! I can't tolerate another 500 post debate on UD pulleys!!!

I think this is the only thread that comes close to being as long as those UD pulley threads!

Old 10-29-2005, 01:32 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
If it's an issue with heat after these mods and removing the plastic engine cover, what about the plastic under the car? Would removing some of those help move out the hot air in the engine bay?

Old 10-29-2005, 01:40 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So what will UD pullies do for my traps, and accessories, and the like???

j/k.. couldn't resist.

Old 10-29-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
So what will UD pullies do for my traps, and accessories, and the like???

j/k.. couldn't resist.
I was about ready to **** a brick... till I read the last sentence. If this thread took that turn - OMG... can you say 100 page thread

Very funny Trey

Old 10-29-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by dofu
If it's an issue with heat after these mods and removing the plastic engine cover, what about the plastic under the car? Would removing some of those help move out the hot air in the engine bay?
Removing the engine cover helps keep the plenum cooler... (hot intake air is the enemy). I'm no expert but I doubt removing the lower cover would be beneficial enough to account for all the debris you would pick up from the road. I wouldn’t consider it.

Old 10-29-2005, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
Removing the engine cover helps keep the plenum cooler... (hot intake air is the enemy). I'm no expert. . .
But you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Old 10-29-2005, 06:50 PM
Lenny
$500-$600 meaning different levels of power, or different options in cosmetics?

Old 10-29-2005, 07:03 PM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivory05G
As someone who has a degree in Mechanical Engineering, I seriously doubt you will obtain any gain at all from wrapping your Z Tube with insulation. A N/A engine sucks in the air it needs. This air gets sucked in pretty fast, fast enough that trying to eliminate heat soak during that 18" (or however long path it is) of travel is a lost cause. The heat transfer from the Z-tube to the intake air is practically 0. This is why CAI can be good. Bringing in air from a cooler source than your engine bay can be a beneficial. However, if the air was so easily affected by the engine bay temperature the CAI effect would be ruined by heatsoak, which is not the case. And think how much longer the CAI tubes are, there is a lot more surface area for thermal conduction to take place. And even with the extra surface area, the effect of heat soak is so minimal that it doesnt matter.

I always read about people doing this kind of stuff and I really don't think it's justified unless you like the look of it. Just my 2 cents...
fluid thermodynamics don't apply to mechanical engineering.

Old 10-29-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by eldy
But you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night?
Huh?... I presume that's a reference to an ad they have or something?... Otherwise what does that mean?

Old 10-29-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by VQ35sleeper
$500-$600 meaning different levels of power, or different options in cosmetics?
I'm not trying to speak for Tony, but I think it was a range that he plans to charge. Since it's not quite ready yet he might be calculating production cost, R&D, etc... it's not uncommon for a set price to be listed until a product is ready. Example: SPG Racing was estimating their AT valve body upgrade to be "under $900"... when the upgrade was made available the price was actually $1100.

Old 10-30-2005, 01:46 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mc2
fluid thermodynamics don't apply to mechanical engineering.
since when???

last I checked "fluids" is standard material for a mechanical major!!!! Check the credit requirements for any major university.

Old 10-30-2005, 02:14 AM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by QuadCam
since when???

last I checked "fluids" is standard material for a mechanical major!!!! Check the credit requirements for any major university.
Wow
I must agree with you. When I received my degree many years ago in mechanical engineering, my first job was designing dairy plants. Process flow" was the correct term?

Old 10-30-2005, 02:20 AM
Okay brainiacts... Let's leave the engineering requirements to Tony since this is his thread.

For you "thermo dynamic - mechanical engineers" that have a product to compete with Motordyne... You've seen the buz you can create - so go CREATE!

Otherwise, how 'bout no more pissing matches.

BTW - I'm just a shlub with no degree that drives a 1 year old G fully paid for. Who F'ing cares!!!!!

Let’s get back to what will make our cars blow away others… If your engineering degree helps, GREAT! Don’t brag, just create! If this concept is new to you, you’re too young and don’t have bragging rights anyway.

Okay – rant over.

Old 10-30-2005, 02:36 AM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by OCG35
Okay brainiacts... Let's leave the engineering requirements to Tony since this is his thread.

For you "thermo dynamic - mechanical engineers" that have a product to compete with Motordyne... You've seen the buz you can create - so go CREATE!

Otherwise, how 'bout no more pissing matches.

BTW - I'm just a shlub with no degree that drives a 1 year old G fully paid for. Who F'ing cares!!!!!

Let’s get back to what will make our cars blow away others… If your engineering degree helps, GREAT! Don’t brag, just create! If this concept is new to you, you’re too young and don’t have bragging rights anyway.

Okay – rant over.
Your making me laugh. Will you please quit being logical. This setup Tony has will and should be the mod of the year. I talked to Tony, last night and he has some great projects he working on. I like him because he's Italian.
Sincerely the Mafia"

Old 10-30-2005, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE PASTA
Your making me laugh. Will you please quit being logical. This setup Tony has will and should be the mod of the year. I talked to Tony, last night and he has some great projects he working on. I like him because he's Italian.
Sincerely the Mafia"
Hey, Pasta . . . Make em an offer, which he can't refuse.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering