Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 10-27-2005, 02:39 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you mean the "broiler pan?"

I removed it within a week of ownership. Heat=bad

As far as the dealer is concerned, they don't mind, and have even commented on how cool the Motordyne Spacer is.........

Old 10-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Florida G35 Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just tried this MSD product on my z-tube. thermo insulating tape
This stuff is really cool on how it works, After about 1 minute it bounds to itself and becomes one piece. The biggest thing I have noticed was it sure made the intake noise much more quite. IM not sure 100% but, I swear the engine runs more consistent in around town driving.
I replaced my Injen CAI with the z-tube and k&n drop in. I find my car has better drivability now. As far as HP gains? There is some gain but very slight. It does look good under the hood

Last edited by GEE PASTA; 01-21-2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really hate to perpetuate this derailment, but everyone is considering airflow at normal or high operating ranges. I live in West Texas where traffic is minimal... ...yet I still find myself sitting at redlights, etc. Heat is also an issue.

If you're going to combat heatsoak, you would be wise to address that idle time. While moving, you're cooling system is obviously at it's most effective. Standing still or barely creeping along is where you're going to saturate everything with heat, then making it harder to cool down even under ideal cooling conditions.

Insulating the intake tract from radiant heat is simply going to keep it cooler. While it might not make a ton of power by itself, if you're trying to combat heatsoak then you'd be a fool to overlook insulating the point-of-origin of the intake charge from as much radiant heat as possible.

Either that or underhood appearance is your priority. If that's the case, at least avoid the metal intake tubes and opt for a composite material that has better insulating properties than the OEM piece. I also went with the CF G-tube for this very reason. It's a good compromise. I don't like the look of Thermal Wrap Tape (I had it all over my '97 GSX's IC pipes for practical purposes), yet I wanted something that looked better than OEM and wasn't a heat-sink like the chrome tubes.

Heat is the only reason I'm not going FI again out here.

Last edited by GT-Ron; 10-27-2005 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Clokwork,

How would you describe the internal surface of your carbon fiber tube? The one at looked at was quite rough.

speedgeek,

We measured temperatures (up to 225F) between the full Infiniti engine cover and the upper plenum on several Gs. I'm a big fan of mounting it on the garage wall.

Old 10-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Cmon Son!
the internal surface was a bit rough. I dont know what to say about this. The manufacture claims no power loss due to this and say it's due to the nature of carbon fiber. I would have much preferred a smooth tube on the inside and may try to machine it that way if I can find a stable process without breaking the integrity of the tube. If the air is generally spiralled through the middle of the pipe, I can see the loss being miniscule. If that theory is out the door then I am at a loss.

Overall though, I dont regret the purchase. It has to be better than the stock monster box.

What are you're thoughts on it?

Old 10-27-2005, 03:42 PM
DaveO - The CF G-tube does have a rough 'weave' on the inside that results in some high spots and a general roughness. I doubt it's enough to create excessive turbulence to the point of hindering the air-fuel mixture or decreasing the airflow, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by GT-Ron; 10-27-2005 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, I got rid of my engine cover too. The extra width that extends over the sides of the engine just collects more heat from the headers and traps it right at the plenum. It's free weight reduction too.

Old 10-27-2005, 03:49 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DaveO

speedgeek,

We measured temperatures (up to 225F) between the full Infiniti engine cover and the upper plenum on several Gs. I'm a big fan of mounting it on the garage wall.

Thanks, Will take it off this weekend.

Old 10-27-2005, 03:55 PM
As for being able to touch your tube after driving and it not being hot would indicate to me that it is able to gain and lose heat very easily. I would not venture to say that it is resisting the heat of your engine bay. The only way it would remain cool is if active cooling was involved. If it is cool from the incoming air, that means it is in turn giving it's heat to the intake air which is not good...

Old 10-27-2005, 03:55 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chiapet15
Yeah, I got rid of my engine cover too. The extra width that extends over the sides of the engine just collects more heat from the headers and traps it right at the plenum. It's free weight reduction too.
I'm all for getting rid of unecessary heat, and weight. Both mine and the wife's engine covers are sitting in the garage. But weight reduction? What is it, a pound?'

Old 10-27-2005, 04:00 PM
Since we have to wait to find out what the MREV is, how about just letting a ballpark figure of the cost out of the bag?

Old 10-27-2005, 04:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I think they should price it lower so they get a higher volume of sales.

Old 10-27-2005, 06:53 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
I'll make it so there is a range of options for a range of prices. From ~500-600.
This way everyone will be happy.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:47 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by clokwork
What kinda temp differences did he see in terms of degrees? I couldnt imagine it being that drastic, but then again, I am not the one who did the testing.

I will have to ask him again. It was enough to keep the thermowrap on there.

Btw, DaveO posted the right PN# for the stuff I used. I also bought some of the chrome tape from Home Depot to make it look neat on the edges.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:53 PM
Premier Member

Here is a picture of mine after I did it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering