Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 11-06-2005, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said Tony.

Old 11-06-2005, 11:32 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the recap Tony. No miracles promised but a logical and factual explanation of the gains to be had... not a lot but as you said where they do the most good, in daily driving.

Of the other side of the arguement one thing comes to mind.... my dad used to say "there are none so blind as those who will not see"

Old 11-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
The calculated average power from 5000-7000rpms:

"Stock" = 257whp
Lower plenum/Crawford upper plenum = 259whp

This was using 100rpm data from the plot.

Horsepower = work done over time
It is obvious to all of us that this mod shift the power curve to the left.

Why not try comparing the power curve of the stock dyno (5000-7000 rpm) to the modded one in the range of 4500-6500 rpm.
With the altered power band, it would seem obvious that you'd need to shift earlier with this mystery mod.

Please do a 5000-7000 stock dyno compared to a modded 4500-6500 dyno. Then, tell us what the difference in average torque is! A say torque because HP is just a mathematical calculation of torque at a given rpm. The more "twist" the engine is outputting, the faster it is climbing the rpm scale!!!

Last edited by QuadCam; 11-06-2005 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
Thanks for the recap Tony. No miracles promised but a logical and factual explanation of the gains to be had... not a lot but as you said where they do the most good, in daily driving.

Of the other side of the arguement one thing comes to mind.... my dad used to say "there are none so blind as those who will not see"
. . . . "Or those whom can see, but are yet blind," said the blind man.

Old 11-06-2005, 03:15 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by RBull
Very well put! To me it seems that the arguement going on here is insane mostly because it becomes more and more apparent that the points being made are, frankly, unrelated to one another. But that is just my view on the subject.

Old 11-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by andy2434
. . . . "Or those whom can see, but are yet blind," said the blind man.
Yes, my sight allows me to see that too!

Old 11-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by trey's wife
Very well put! To me it seems that the arguement going on here is insane mostly because it becomes more and more apparent that the points being made are, frankly, unrelated to one another. But that is just my view on the subject.
Thanks.
There's certainly some truth to what you say.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:13 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by QuadCam
It is obvious to all of us that this mod shift the power curve to the left.

Why not try comparing the power curve of the stock dyno (5000-7000 rpm) to the modded one in the range of 4500-6500 rpm.
With the altered power band, it would seem obvious that you'd need to shift earlier with this mystery mod.

Please do a 5000-7000 stock dyno compared to a modded 4500-6500 dyno. Then, tell us what the difference in average torque is! A say torque because HP is just a mathematical calculation of torque at a given rpm. The more "twist" the engine is outputting, the faster it is climbing the rpm scale!!!
Because it doesn't work like that. Running the car to 6500rpms and then shifting puts you outside the ideal shift point, regardless if it's the Secret Sause mod or stock.

Now if you were to shift at 6500rpm with the Secret Sauce mod and a stock Rev-Up, then yes, the Secret Sauce is going to be quicker. If you shift the Secret Sauce at 6500rpm and shift the Rev-Up at 7000rpms, then the Rev-Up is going to be quicker. That's the truth.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
And if there was a hypothetical race to the speed limiter cut of 156 MPH, the MREV would win that race every time.

And if you prefer to look at the power band as a whole and not broken down into sections, the MREV still comes ahead:
The average mean change from 1800-6900 RPM is
+7.399 TQ and +5.252 HP

Unfortunately, for what ever reason, I can't see any thumbnails. There's nothing for me to click on.

I could care less about seeing the whole curve from 1800-6900rpm because it's not reflective of the powerband. Whne you shift at the ideal shift point, you're not going to dropping down to 1800rpms. You're going to drop down to 4800rpms+. That's it. The powerband is the rpm range used during an ideal launch and all upshifts. With the 6MT Rev-up, that range is 5000-7000rpms. All my calculations have factored in shifts points and crossing the finish line in 4th at 5800-5900rpms. Just because you're crossing 4th in a band that's offering an additional 8whp, doesn't mean you're going to be quicker. It's the average overall power that's going to dicate that.

I'm sure if you had a REVUP engine and had one of these installed on your car you would be singing a completely different tune.
Nope, not after seeing the dynos. Years ago I would have jumped on the bandwagon, after seeing and using mods similiar to this on other *cars* I've owned, I know what's most likely going to happen on the track.

Last edited by DaveB; 11-06-2005 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
STOP THE MADNESS!!!!!

Tony, just make me some '04 TQ (and a little more HP while you're at it please).

I don't care what the nay-sayers think - I'll rip 'em on the dyno, track, hwy and city streets... (just like I have with your other mods).

'04 MODS DAMN IT!!!!

Old 11-06-2005, 10:03 PM
My horns hold up my halo
DaveB,
Is the fact that there are two separate points being made here seem to just fly right over your head? We can all beat this horse until the end of time but until we are talking about the same thing I doubt anyone is going to have any progress. Tony has stated more than once that the "point" of this mod is to be of an impact mostly in daily driving. You seem to just be unwilling to get off the drag strip related side of this even in response to a statement again about the daily driving related impact. Now I am not going to argue the top end power side of this one way or the other because I haven't driven a car with the MREV mod (yet). Having said that - here is my question - do you drive like that ALL the time or just at the track? Unless you drive that way ALL the time then at least a noted portion of your arguement has little validity.

For the rest of you (you know who you are) - 30 sec rule my @$$, if I have something to say I'm gonna say it.

Old 11-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DaveB,
Is the fact that there are two separate points being made here seem to just fly right over your head? We can all beat this horse until the end of time but until we are talking about the same thing I doubt anyone is going to have any progress. Tony has stated more than once that the "point" of this mod is to be of an impact mostly in daily driving. You seem to just be unwilling to get off the drag strip related side of this even in response to a statement again about the daily driving related impact. Now I am not going to argue the top end power side of this one way or the other because I haven't driven a car with the MREV mod (yet). Having said that - here is my question - do you drive like that ALL the time or just at the track? Unless you drive that way ALL the time then at least a noted portion of your arguement has little validity.

For the rest of you (you know who you are) - 30 sec rule my @$$, if I have something to say I'm gonna say it.

LMAO . . . You and my wife . . . Bless you both!

Old 11-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Cheryl,

Trey should try and be the 1/4 tester. He probably has more track time with the Rev-Up than anyone in here. Maybe him and Tony could work something out.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now I am not going to argue the top end power side of this one way or the other because I haven't driven a car with the MREV mod (yet).
Cheryl > Trey dictionary translates that statement to: I'm never going to drive it because Trey won't let me

Old 11-07-2005, 12:41 AM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by DaveB
Cheryl,

Trey should try and be the 1/4 tester. He probably has more track time with the Rev-Up than anyone in here. Maybe him and Tony could work something out.
This has been discussed already but unfortunately we just don't have enough 1/4 passes on that car to have consistent enough numbers to compare with. Most all of his passes have been on the 1/8 track and he is still too "flaky" with the times to be a good tester. We are on the "list" so to speak of people begging Tony for one of these things so we can at least give you impressions then. Surely by then we will have some more consistent passes under his belt to compare to.

As for his driving comment - he knows he is full of ****

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering