Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Here's Crawford's recent test of what I think this "Secret Sauce" mod is:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...5582695GiVRUT#

They simply took a RevUp motor and installed the non-RevUp lower and their upper plenum. The gains and the areas they occur look much like the plots posted earlier in the thread. Also, the rev limiter goes to ~7000-7100rpms just as I thought and had seen before. The car is an 05 CS Track 350Z with Crawford Headers/Highflows/Plenum/Borla TD/JWT Popcharger.

Last edited by DaveB; 11-04-2005 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Great!

Thanks for posting another independant dyno. A independant dyno can't get any more "independant" than when it is verified by a competitor.

The plot shows:
Good gains in HP across the board with only a small dip at the end of the RPM spectrum.
Huge gains in TQ across the board with only a small dip at the end of the RPM spectrum.

HP = Speed
And TQ = the smile factor!

Its everything I (and everyone else) always said it was.

Tony

Old 11-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Here's Crawford's recent test of what I think this "Secret Sauce" mod is:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...5582695GiVRUT#

They simply took a RevUp motor and installed the non-RevUp lower and their upper plenum. The gains and the areas they occur look much like the plots posted earlier in the thread. Also, the rev limiter goes to ~7000-7100rpms just as I thought and had seen before. The car is an 05 CS Track 350Z with Crawford Headers/Highflows/Plenum/Borla TD/JWT Popcharger.

This has been my thought all along.I guess we'll see soon enough what the MREV really is.

Old 11-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Great!

Thanks for posting another independant dyno. A independant dyno can't get any more "independant" than when it is verified by a competitor.

The plot shows:
Good gains in HP across the board with only a small dip at the end of the RPM spectrum.
Huge gains in TQ across the board with only a small dip at the end of the RPM spectrum.

HP = Speed
And TQ = the smile factor!

Its everything I (and everyone else) always said it was.

Tony
The calculated average power from 5000-7000rpms:

"Stock" = 257whp
Lower plenum/Crawford upper plenum = 259whp

This was using 100rpm data from the plot.

Horsepower = work done over time

Old 11-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
So whats your point?

Old 11-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So whats your point?

His point is to cause trouble.

DaveB give it up.

Old 11-05-2005, 11:11 PM
I thought this mod was meant for mid range improvements, not overall gains. That's what the crawford dyno chart looked like.

Old 11-05-2005, 11:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The original purpose wasn't for this mod to add significant gains. It was to shift the power curve so that it'd be more useable...we're rarely up in the high (5K+) RPM range anyways

Old 11-06-2005, 02:23 AM
So whats your point?
My point is, assuming you're actually racing the car, the average HP used through the powerband is really no different between "stock" and the Secret Sauce mod. Since the average HP across the powerband hasn't really changed, it appears the car won't be any quicker or faster in the 1/4. Average HP is what dictates how hard the car will accelerate. Even if I moved the powerband from 4700-7000rpm, which isn't reflective of the true powerband, there's still no real difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most people buy power mods like this because they assume they'll go faster. No? Most people aren't into buying mods only to improve drivability especially for $600.

I'm not trying causing trouble, I'm just trying to point out what the data is showing.

Old 11-06-2005, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As I had mentioned in my previous MREV review . . . It's all smiles from somewhere after 3500 rpm through 6000 rpm. The extra torque and hp is exactly where I personally want and need it to be for a daily driver.

My G drives exactly the same as it did before I installed this mod. I normally shift around 3000 rpm . . . This affords me great gas mileage and suits my normal everyday driving routine(s). However, if I need that good extra kick for passing or if I am feeling just a bit spirited . . . I shift at 4000 rpm, now . . . And in doing so, MREV provides an unquestionable amount of difference in my G's pick up character.

You folks can argue and examine charts until you all are blue and blind. The real tale of the tape is when MREV is available and put to the test by everyday people, such as myself.

If you are seeking M3 killing performance and better . . . Go out and buy an M3 or spend hundreds to thousands of dollars more on mods . . . You'll most definitely get what you pay for, I hope.

I didn't want nor need to put new body parts or steroids into my G, in a manner of speaking . . . I just gave her a serious dose of good vitamins, which is how I relate to MREV.

Old 11-06-2005, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator
My point is, assuming you're actually racing the car, the average HP used through the powerband is really no different between "stock" and the Secret Sauce mod. Since the average HP across the powerband hasn't really changed, it appears the car won't be any quicker or faster in the 1/4. Average HP is what dictates how hard the car will accelerate. Even if I moved the powerband from 4700-7000rpm, which isn't reflective of the true powerband, there's still no real difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most people buy power mods like this because they assume they'll go faster. No? Most people aren't into buying mods only to improve drivability especially for $600.

I'm not trying causing trouble, I'm just trying to point out what the data is showing.

And you have accomplished what you had set out to do . . . Now what?

Old 11-06-2005, 02:32 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've pretty muched stayed out of the argument until now, and I'll refrain from sharing my opinions on members' behavior or the merit of some of the technical posts...

Having said that, I myself doubt I would see any improvement in 1/4 passes. However, I am still interested in this mod for day-to-day driving. Amd I $600 interested? You bet. I live in a congested area, and my daily commute takes nearly an hour each direction. I rarely get past 60mph, and it's a lot of stop and go. But every now and then I do get to wind out 3rd and 4th when changing interstates, and that's the only fun part of the commute. From what I've read of people's *subjective* reviews, I think this type of mod will make my commute a little more enjoyable.

Old 11-06-2005, 02:42 AM
My horns hold up my halo

Well it seems to me that at this point you are comparing apples to oranges from what the stated intent of the mod is. If that is the case we have all read through the back and forth for no apparent reason.

Old 11-06-2005, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
I've pretty muched stayed out of the argument until now, and I'll refrain from sharing my opinions on members' behavior or the merit of some of the technical posts...

Having said that, I myself doubt I would see any improvement in 1/4 passes. However, I am still interested in this mod for day-to-day driving. Amd I $600 interested? You bet. I live in a congested area, and my daily commute takes nearly an hour each direction. I rarely get past 60mph, and it's a lot of stop and go. But every now and then I do get to wind out 3rd and 4th when changing interstates, and that's the only fun part of the commute. From what I've read of people's *subjective* reviews, I think this type of mod will make my commute a little more enjoyable.
Based the your objective(s) and needs, which you posted . . . Get ready for some real clean FUN!

Old 11-06-2005, 03:27 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
DaveB you are wrong.

But one part you got right is your calculation of a +3 HP gain in the 5000-7000 range. See my post a few pages back. The average HP in 3rd gear to redline gains +3 HP. But if 3rd gear to redline was the only consideration in a 1/4 mile race, +3HP still makes it faster. But as you conviently forgot about the facts shown in the prior posts, there are greater gains everywhere else in the RPM shift curve. Coupled with the fact that the 1/4 mile finish line is crossed half way through 4 gear, the actual gains seen in a quarter mile will be closer to 8HP. But by your own admission while trying to focus on only the area of 3 HP net gain, its still a gain.

Now print out your .jpg's and sharpen your crayons. Watch how an analysis is done.

The high RPM loss only becomes significant between 6300 to 6900 RPM.
For Klumzyees dyno results:

From 6300-6900 RPM (a span of 600 RPM) the mean numbers are:
-5.424TQ and -6.844HP This is the mean of the actual data.

Every where else in the power curve 1800-6300 RPM (a span of 4500 RPM) there is a gain
9.109TQ and 6.865 HP

So when you multiply the gains and losses by the range in which they occur and take the fraction of the two products you find that even with power dropping above 6300 RPM Klumzyees torque gains are 12.596X greater than the torque losses! And his HP gains are 7.523X greater than the HP losses!

Thats an exceptional trade!

And its putting the new found gains where you can use it the most. Daily driving. And the benefits will apply all throught out a drag with a minimum of +3 HP and possibly with even the majority of tracking conditions. (But tracking would have to be tested to really know.)

And if there was a hypothetical race to the speed limiter cut of 156 MPH, the MREV would win that race every time.

And if you prefer to look at the power band as a whole and not broken down into sections, the MREV still comes ahead:
The average mean change from 1800-6900 RPM is
+7.399 TQ and +5.252 HP

Attached below is a A minus B plot to show exactly what changed, how much and where for Klumzyees REVUP G.

This is all from the raw data of Klumzyees dyno results and his results are typical of all the dyno performed so far. His results aren't the highest and they arent the lowest. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this is the best VQ mod in existance by far...

The lowest gains recorded arent much below Klumzyees but if you want to do an analysis on Alex's dyno results. Look out. You would think there was a mini Stillen SC bolted to his car. Just look at his dyno plot. Its insane!!!

I'm sure if you had a REVUP engine and had one of these installed on your car you would be singing a completely different tune.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering-minus-b.gif  

Last edited by Hydrazine; 11-06-2005 at 03:31 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering