Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:14 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel350
No they are not cross threaded. I will try and get them on there again and see what happens.
Did you try putting the bolts together thread to thread to see how they match up?

Old 02-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Did you try putting the bolts together thread to thread to see how they match up?
Yes they look like they match up.

Old 02-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by e420x
I know the installer of my Mrve told me he had similar issues wiht the bolts being too short
It's not that mine are short I'm just having a tough time getting them through the hole all the way down.

Old 02-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Hmmm. This is getting fun.

Same thread pitch. Same diameter. No cross thread. ...Should fit no problem.

Can you see any kind of obstruction in the bolt hole?

Can you fit the stock bolt with the strut bar spacers in place? If yes, how much can you thread them in? 1/8", 3/16", 1/4"

Old 03-19-2006, 05:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally ordered my MREV+! Can't wait til it gets here.

DaveB, so did you figure out why the 6 center bolts gets loose after a while?
Any comments on that Tony?

Also, any other hints for my instalation?
I got down oil the threads, use a in-lb torque wrench and expect it not to click, reuse the oem gaskets, anything else?

koodos Tony!!

Old 03-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ If you have the "Coolant Control Valve" option, have the CCV assembly assembled the night before. This will save you a few minutes and allow the sealant to cure a bit. Have fun with your install and enjoy!

Old 03-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks Andy!! I'll make sure to remember that.

Hopefully I'll receive it by Wednesday and get it installed on early Thursday morning so I could have some fun with it on the way to work.

I'll post up my comments.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:53 PM
For the CCV, what does it mean to seal the threaded fittings with teflon tape or silicone RTV??

Also, if the hose is cut, should i expect it to leak coolant or anything?

And what's the RTV in silicone RTV?

Could someone explain it please?

Thanks!!

Old 03-21-2006, 05:57 PM
you wrap teflon tape onto brass threaded ends that will go into the valve...

there will be some coolant leakage but it won't be pouring out, a few drops at most... just put a cloth rag below to catch the coolant leak... run hose clamps onto hose before inserting the brass nipple into each hose...

teflon tape is easier and less messy to apply to threads... silicone RTV is what you find in toopaste-like tubes for making gaskets or seals on the fly...

hope this helps...

Old 03-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Take special care if using Teflon tape. I wouldn't want that stuff floating around in my coolant system. I would highly recommend a RTV Silicone that is used for water pumps/thermostat housings. It's better suited for the high temperatures and is Glycol resistant. Just my 2 pennies.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:30 PM
cool deals thanks guys. cleared up a lot.

Should be getting my MREV soon!

Old 03-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any 1/4 mile testing yet with the mrev mod?

DaveB, very good posts. As an engineer myself I always question technical things and see if it makes sense to me before just hopping on any bandwagon.

It seems to me that the mod just moves power around in the RPM band which will effectively have no more of a power/performance increase than putting the previous plenum spacers on the 03-04 Gs.

Granted the numbers "17hp 19 tq" (for a few hundred rpms) sounds amazing but what is the overall effect on the performance....

Someone posted earlier that from a stop with the mrev he was unable to edge out a G without the mrev but from a roll he could.....why because from a roll he is immediately in the RPM band where the extra power is...1/4 mile will not get this benefit.

Anyway, maybe it will show some gains on the street and daily driving but 1/4 mile gains I doubt will be anything more than what is experienced by adding the spacers to the 03-04 cars (which you are actually putting on from what I gather about this mod).

Old 03-24-2006, 08:47 AM
I just received mine last week. I'm breaking in my JWT clutch. Once complete, I'll dyno to see my Borla gains, take it to the track to see what I can pull with the current set up.

Then, I'll install the MREV, dyno it and take it back to the track. I'll post what I find. Could be a few weeks. Personally, I think it will show improvment. Midrange hp and tq is increased through a good portion of the band. 1/4 numbers are not only determined by peak hp. Either way, we'll let the numbers do the talking....

Old 03-24-2006, 09:37 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
hey, if i get the hookup i'll put as many passes on the 1/4mi you guys want before and after. afterall, i do live minutes away from atco raceway

Old 03-31-2006, 04:17 PM
I just installed my MREV+. Installation was pretty easy as i expected. I've noticed good gains throughout the range PLUS the car sounds a lot sexier. I've ran another 05 6MT in the freeway and my car sounded way meaner. The guy gave me a wow look Then, I've ran a STI today, and I've noticed that I gained more power from the MREV+.

However, I was wondering... does any1 get like a air leak, gurgling noise at around 5K to 6K RPM at about normal throttle? I've noticed this with all the windows and the sunroof closed. It's hard to hear it with the windows open.

Also, I've noticed that when I left the car to idle for a couple minutes, it idles smoothly, but occasionally I've heard this knocking noise (kinda low) and as it did that, the needle dropped very slightly. I'm wondering if I have a vacuum leak or anything...

But both sounds like it isn't a serious problem, but just wanted to know if any1 noticed it...

BTW, my car feels great!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering