Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Noise Only When It Is Cold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Coupe 6MT, and i have --->AMSOIL SYNTH MTL
anyone having this issues with factory gear box oil?

Old 02-07-2006, 10:06 AM
i notice almost all the sound goes away when you push the clutch in, take it out of gear (put into neutral) and releasing the clutch. Also most of the soudn comes back when you just abotu put it back into gear, kind of when the syncros are just engaging.

Old 02-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Since I also have this problem, I've did some investigation into the noise.
My conclusion has been posted in another thread, but I'll repeat it here...

The noise described is due to the cold air inlet damper to the heating system being partly or wholly closed when the car is cold. This creates a whistling effect as the air rushes past the damper. When the car warms up, more outside air is allowed in and the damper opens to the point where the restriction of air is reduced and so is the whistling sound.

This is speed related, not RPM related, since the air flow increases as the speed does.

Hope my findings make sense.

Old 02-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BbyG35

The noise described is due to the cold air inlet damper to the heating system being partly or wholly closed when the car is cold. This creates a whistling effect as the air rushes past the damper. When the car warms up, more outside air is allowed in and the damper opens to the point where the restriction of air is reduced and so is the whistling sound.

This is speed related, not RPM related, since the air flow increases as the speed does.

The ol' cold air inlet damper....... darn why didn't I think of that..
So just for curiosity... where is this cold air damper? Is it under the dash?
Is it right before our incabin air filter?

Old 02-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Ok, as the originator of this thread it seems as there may be more than one noise. Mine changes when I change gears, so it is not speed related, which also negates the cold air inlet damper as the problem.
The theory that makes the most sense is a gearbox problem, possibly lubrication. This matches the theory that it affects only 6 speed manuals. Now if we could only find something more definitive.........

Old 02-08-2006, 06:04 PM
we need a poll with:

5AT
6MT stock
6MT w/non-oem gearoil
6MT w/non-oem gearoil + exhaust modifications
6MT w/oem gearoil
6MT w/oem gearoil + exhaust modifications

This woudl help narrow it down if it is indeed only 6MT cars, and if it is 6MT cars only, further narrow it down to either exhaust or tranny issues.

I myself am 6MT w/non-oem gearoil + exhaust modifications

Old 02-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by BbyG35

Dude, that TOTALLY makes sense. This whistling noise is absolutely speed-dependent. Only thing is, what the hell is a cold air inlet damper?

Old 02-09-2006, 12:38 AM
Noise

If it "TOTALLY makes sense", why does it change pitch when I shift gears???

Old 02-24-2006, 11:38 AM
Noise Only When It Is Cold

bump

Old 03-15-2006, 12:35 AM
I have a very low but still noticable whistleing sound when I start the car cold. By the way it is an auto sedan. It sounds like it is coming from the front. The kicker is it goes out as soon as I turn the headlights off. I turn them on and off many times. Light on-noise, lights- off no noise everytime. At least for the first few minutes then no more noise. Ummmmm Xenon lights noisy while they warm up? Beats me but it is driving me crazy.

Last edited by RKturbo6; 03-15-2006 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:31 AM
I hope I can provide some helpful information. I have a 2003.5 6MT Coupe with original fluid which was changed at the dealership with OEM fluid somewhere between 20K & 40K and I originally brought the car in with this issue back in December. When I first heard the noise I thought it was a weather-strip issue because it sounded exactly like a whistle from a door that was not sealed properly. After some testing, I realized that it must be from either the transmission or axle. The noise appears only when cold (sitting in the sun at 40 degrees all day became "cold" enough) and would disappear after 5 minutes of driving, I noticed it first last winter and it did not appear when the weather was warmer, the noise was speed dependent both in and out of gear but could be heard if I tried to shift back into gear from neutral while rolling.

The first time I brought it to the dealer in December the weather became milder here (mid-40's vs mid-teens from the prior week which made the tranny sound even worse) but I was fortunate in that the dealer kept the car a couple days to sit in the cold so they could test it. The important thing is that they did hear it and document that they heard it so it was now in my history at the dealership. They were not able to resolve the issue but did go over the transmission, suspension, steering and axle to make sure they could cover all the bases without tearing down the transmission. We decided to wait at track the noise and I would bring the car in when there was a cold snap.

The next couple months I kept my eye on the weather forecast for a really cold period like the beginning of December so that the transmission would sound the worst. Last week was my last chance for this winter and possibly the warranty so I made an appointment. The weather cooperated and we had below average temps when I dropped the car off. They wrote me up, looked at the history and saw that this was a confirmed issue and told me they will call the next morning after they look over the car.

I received a call from the dealership last Thursday morning and the verdict:

They are replacing the transmission; under warranty, of course.

So this morning I picked up my car, which now is over 50K mile, with what I assume is a brand new transmission (part # has "8") at the end, a new clutch (grabs a little high, though) and the fuel hose recall performed.

This might be a problem that will be cropping up with our transmission which we may see more and more, I probably have more mileage than most so others may experience it as the population of the cars age. A co-worker of mine says his 2004 6MT 350Z does the same thing, but his noise does not go away. I think the important thing is to get the dealer to hear it and document it (make sure to drop off night before). I would not expect them to replace the transmission the first time you bring it in, that is expensive and even diagnosing exact issue is expensive, and be persistent, bring it in once a month while it is cold expressing your concern. If Nissan gets enough of these transmissions returned with the same item, it may get easier to correct as time goes on or they may do an extension of warranty similar to what they did with the brakes which will benefit us all. Every dealer service dept is different but the important thing is that they confirm the sound and that they perceive you as an upstanding and polite citizen (not pointing fingers here but I have seen other questionable threads)

Good Luck.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:59 AM
Noise

Let us know if the noise is gone.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:02 AM
Originally Posted by ykG35c
when the temps cold and the first start of the day, there would be a whining/squealing noise coming from the engine bay area for the first few minutes of the drive...after the car was warmed up the noise would go away...
Yes, I have the same problem. It's not related to the other piece of this thread, since our problem is engine speed related and for me at least it only occurs when the engine is under load -- meaning rolling, not just revving. I also suspect a driven accessory so I'll pass along your suggestion on the alternator belt. I think it's probably the actual pulley bearing on the alternators whine in cold weather with tension [x].

Thanks!

Rick

(2004 G35 Sedan 6MT)

Old 03-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by mmpotash
Let us know if the noise is gone.

It has only been a day, but the three cold starts I performed in conditions where the noise use to exist did not result in the return of the noise. Interestingly, when I first started the car at the dealership, the trans was buzzing like crazy as mentioned by somebody else but then went away and did not return after I let it running a minute. I assume that noise was because the transmission was new and the fluids were not dispersed in every nook and cranny. Other than that, I'm just trying to get use to the new clutch, the pedal feels much lighter and engages higher. Ibought the car with 19K miles so I do not know how it originally felt as a comparision.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am in the same situation. I have that exact same noise, and my car is currently at the dealership. They are taking a look at it, so hopefully they'll figure something out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Noise Only When It Is Cold