Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

MD Spacer or MD w/ISO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MD Spacer or MD w/ISO

Hi everyone,

I was reading and searching about the MD spacer and thus far, only good reviews...I'm in the next stage of purchasing the spacer but have one question. Which one should I purchase, the basic MD spacer or the MD spacer with the ISO Therm? which is about 40 bucks more. Oh, I'm interested in the 5/16''. I have an 04 5AT Coupe.

Is the ISO thermo worth the extra $40 ?? Thanks ahead of time.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm in the same scenario. From what I've read no one has felt a difference performance wise when installing the iso therm. These are people that previously just had the spacer. They did say that the plenum runs A LOT cooler w/ the gasket. So the theory is cooler air in is denser air right. For $40 I say why not just go ahead and get it.

Old 01-28-2006, 11:06 AM
It is definitely worth thermally isolating the plenum. For the price and about 30 minutes more installation time, why not?

The only risk is that some guys are overtorqueing the lower plenum bolts and stripping the threads. The aluminum threads in that cast injector assy are weak. Be very careful, and follow the directions, or a 30 minute job will turn into a 3 hour job with a trip to the hardware store for drill/tap and helicoil.

If you dont own a torque wrench, borrow one or buy it.

Old 01-28-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by ballisticus
It is definitely worth thermally isolating the plenum. For the price and about 30 minutes more installation time, why not?

The only risk is that some guys are overtorqueing the lower plenum bolts and stripping the threads. The aluminum threads in that cast injector assy are weak. Be very careful, and follow the directions, or a 30 minute job will turn into a 3 hour job with a trip to the hardware store for drill/tap and helicoil.

If you dont own a torque wrench, borrow one or buy it.
tony also now throws in 2 iso thermal gaskets (i put on 2) and it really does make a difference, i was doing dyno tests and could keep my hand on the plenum all throughout. The heat soak before is gone, its really incredible.

but yes be careful on the lower bolts, its tricky but easily doable with 2 ppl. I'd say get the 1/2" spacer + ISO gasket just since the engine cover is something that keeps the heat in.

Old 01-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
MotorDyne spacer...........

I installed my spacer last week and have had very
good results. It requires more than a 1/2 hour to
do the job. I purchased a 1/2" spacer and added a
carbon fiber (cut down) engine cover. If you live
in a warm climate the ISO is a good buy. It keeps
your plem cooler......call Tony at MotorDyne he
knows his product and is very helpfull. 661-993-5111

Old 01-29-2006, 01:40 AM
Hey thanks everyone for your inputs,

With the ISO comes with a CCV, has anyone used it or installed it on ? My question is, I know on the MD website the copper verison is automated, but I think the ISO CCV is something you turn on and off yourself? Am I correct?

Old 01-29-2006, 02:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the upgrade. Colder is better when it comes to avoiding heat soak. I also went with the Coolant Control Valve since I live in California.

Trending Topics

Old 01-29-2006, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get the complete Iso Thermal system. Since you are at it, you might as well install the gasket, as well. You will not regret it in the long run.

Old 01-29-2006, 04:57 AM
Cool, I think I'll go ahead with the MD spacer with the ISO,

But my previous question was, is the CCV automated in opening and closing the valve? or is it something i have to close and open myself when the weather is hot or cold?

If Tony can shed some light or anyone have experience with the CCV I would appreciate it.

Old 01-29-2006, 05:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by God-speed

But my previous question was, is the CCV automated in opening and closing the valve? or is it something i have to close and open myself when the weather is hot or cold?

If Tony can shed some light or anyone have experience with the CCV I would appreciate it.
The CCV is recommended in the warmer states and according to Motordyne, the valve should be opened during temps under 55 degrees. It is a manual screw that you will have to adjust on the valve to accomplish this with a flathead screwdriver. If you are in a colder climate you can also go with the copper throttle body heater

Old 01-29-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by God-speed

its manual, but I would place it somewhere easy to get to with a screw driver, the ccv is pretty easy to open and close as long as you have a clear path, take a few mins to install when everything is apart.

Old 01-29-2006, 11:33 AM
I would just get the copper throttle-body heater so you dont have to mess around in there anymore. Its just a copper gasket with a copper tube soldered to it. The hot coolant flows through the tube, tube heats gasket, gasket heats throttle body. No opening and closing of valves. Easy.

Old 02-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Well, I agree that the copper is easier. But wouldn't the manual valve have more benefit in the warm months? Doesn't the valve cut heat off to both TB and plenum when off, or just the plenum. I guess what I'm asking is that doesn't it make sense not to heat the TB in the summer?

Old 02-15-2006, 02:29 AM
Originally Posted by DP03
Well, I agree that the copper is easier. But wouldn't the manual valve have more benefit in the warm months? Doesn't the valve cut heat off to both TB and plenum when off, or just the plenum. I guess what I'm asking is that doesn't it make sense not to heat the TB in the summer?
I was also a little confused about this. I'm thinking about going with the copper plenum instead of the CCV because I don't want the hassle and I live in <ST1California</ST1. Also, don't MD Spacers work well with exhausts? From what I've read, I'm getting the feeling the plenums work better with exhausts.

Last edited by DTrejo; 02-15-2006 at 02:32 AM.