Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Makeshift Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobalude
Question: Is there anything unique about this particular catch-can you guys all bought other than it being a collector can with a "T" connector at the top?

I would like to explore looking for a larger (or rather wider) catch-can but want to check if there's anything specific to look for (construction material, or some design in the top "T" section that isn't easily seen from pictures, etc).

I don't think so. Any collector like this would work.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you guys think of this
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...d=69731&CT=999

and whats up with the little filter? what would that do. I have found a few miniature catch cans with the breather filter.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by willthethrill

and whats up with the little filter? what would that do. I have found a few miniature catch cans with the breather filter.
that looks pretty sweet...I am looking forward to hearing the experts chime in.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:00 AM

The catch can needs to be vacuum tight so this one may not work.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:51 PM
So how can Jegs sell it as an oil catch can? Just curious?

Old 06-19-2006, 12:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am wondering since it is NOT my first time to see a catch can like thingy with a small cone filter on top.. does it mean that this kind of catch can is not designed properlly? (at least to be used in lieu of what you guys are doing.. a sealed catch can with only a hose going in from the crankcase and an exiting hose going to the intake plenum)

Thanks

Old 07-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
The same as a hose failure - I would suspect you would lose power and it would stall as the rpms drop since it cannot maintain a vacuum...

you can try to run it without the hose connected to see what happens I guess.

the bottle seems pretty sturdy to me. I don't know how many psi goes through that hose though...

Last edited by rcdash; 07-11-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:01 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bb319675
Hi Andy and DaveO, and others who have this mod.

How are the filter bottles holding up? Since it's plastic I'm wondering how the oil, heat and pressure will effect it over time.

Anyone know what will happen if you're driving and the plastic bottle finally breaks and the vacuum/pressure/connection between the 2 ends of the hose is gone?
I for one am not worried about heat in the slightest. The srt4 guys have been doing this for a couple of years already(and I'm sure they're not the first). But the underhood temps of the srt4, even stock, are way higher than in the g. I don't have any particular metrics to quote, but I've tinkered around in both engine compartments.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Andy and DaveO, and others who have this mod.

How are the filter bottles holding up? Since it's plastic I'm wondering how the oil, heat and pressure will effect it over time.

Anyone know what will happen if you're driving and the plastic bottle finally breaks and the vacuum/pressure/connection between the 2 ends of the hose is gone?
The filter bottle is holding up quite well. There are no signs of wear on the bottle or the "O" ring. The connections show no leakage. I originally had the same thoughts as you . . . And as such, I bought an extra filter assembly, which is stored in the trunk.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went to get the stuff to make this mod and was going to get like 3 filters but the only filter HD had by the compressors was beer can sized. Might try to use that big can later after I get the small can system up and running.

Guess I'll try other HDs tomorrow.

Thanks guys, for the quick responces.
Just pick up the bigger one. It's heavier(rated at 1.1lbs), but it's got a somewhat larger capacity and a nice drain valve at the bottom. You can reuse the same hoses and hose clamps; you'll just need to change out the fittings from 1/4-3/8 to 3/8-3/8 on both sides(barbed and threaded). The only thing that concerns me about the larger setup is finding a proper mounting point to support the added weight.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Mine collected about a teaspoon of oil initially (like within a week), but never collected more.

I haven't emptied it once.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:45 PM
I have to empty mine about once a month or so.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Makeshift Oil Catch Can